OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Viper PST!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matt_3479 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Viper PST!!
    Posted: January/23/2011 at 14:41
What is everyones opinions on a 4-16x50mm for a 600 yard and closer big game scope? It will be mounted on a 300. wsm for black bear, elk, caribou, moose and the occasional deer. I have heard really good reviews on the PST on other sites for the price. I heard the turrets are really nice, the FFP is great, the glass quality is incredible, the tracking is fantastic for the price. And the customer service and warranty is beautiful. But thats all on different sites.

I want to hear your opinion?
KrazeLegs View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KrazeLegs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2011 at 17:46
Matt:

Do a search.  

Ornery

gglass View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gglass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2011 at 20:10
Would it not make more sense to go for the Vortex HS line of hunting scopes, as they are the hunting version of the PST line of scopes?

I prefer the capped turrets for hunting, but maybe that's just me.

"Let me guess... This isn't about the alcohol or tobacco."
fairchase View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fairchase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2011 at 20:24
 I didn't think these were available yet?
gglass View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gglass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2011 at 20:33
Oh! What was I thinking?

Then by all means, purchase a tactical scope in January for the hunting you'll be doing later in the year.
"Let me guess... This isn't about the alcohol or tobacco."
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2011 at 22:56
I haven't had any trouble using "tactical" scopes for hunting, and often compensated for range with uncovered turrets while hunting.

The PST looks to me like it offers a lot in its price range.  I think they are well worth looking closely at. 
-Matt
fairchase View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fairchase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2011 at 21:57
Originally posted by gglass gglass wrote:

Oh! What was I thinking?

Then by all means, purchase a tactical scope in January for the hunting you'll be doing later in the year.

So you think  these will be available by fall?  How long have people been waiting for the pst's ?
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2011 at 06:44
Originally posted by fairchase fairchase wrote:

Originally posted by gglass gglass wrote:

Oh! What was I thinking?

So you think  these will be available by fall?  How long have people been waiting for the pst's ?
The PST are trickling onto shelves now but there are a lot of backorders to fill They should be here by fall. the PST HS series may not though.
Scott_at_Vortex View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott_at_Vortex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2011 at 07:20
Most of the PST backorders should be filled with in the next couple months. Since the HS series of scopes are a hunting scope made from a PST base, they basically are ready for production, save a few very small details. So it is very realistic that they will be available by Summer.

Scott
www.vortextactical.com

www.vortexoptics.com
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2011 at 07:28
There ya go, straight from the horse's mouth.  Except in this case the horse's mouth is one of the best employee's at VortexWink
Rex View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2011 at 08:56
So which Vortex is SWFA selling right now?
Andy
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2011 at 09:40
All but the Viper HS (which isn't out yet), i believe
Rex View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2011 at 09:48
Thanks SV
 All the posts about the PSTs got me all confused.
Andy
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2011 at 10:09
Rex, I'd take the 4-16 PST over a capped hunting version if you want to shoot out to 600 yards. Keep in mind that it comes with zero-stop so you can set a 100-yard zero and always get back to it. Target turrets are the way to go. I will never hunt again without a "tactical" scope because of the advantages they offer. But hey, that's just me. I like to dial in my shots if they're over 250 yards. My only reservation with the 4-16 is the 4...It's a little less FOV than I'd like for woods hunting. You could consider the 2.5-10. Even though it is SFP, that's alright. I hunt with a NF 2.5-10X32 set either on 2.5 (by default) or 10, which is its ranging power. I can see why Vortex chose 4-16 over 3-12, but ideally they could have gone with a 5X erector for a 3-15. But that would probably drive the cost much higher.
Reaction time is a factor...
Rex View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2011 at 11:12
MT, I'm the same way.
  I like the PST scopes, the 4-16 seems to be what I'm looking for.
Between now and mid Summer I use my SS16X for 4-600 yrds shots, later, when the corn and other crops are too tall I switch to SS 3X9 for 2-300 yrds shots.
 By the way, I shoot crows, groudhogs and coyotes with my Rem.5R in 223.Needless to say, having one scope would more practical.
 Where I got confused was that some posts here talked about this scope not being ship yet.
Andy
Griffin99 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Griffin99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2011 at 18:29
Seeing E-type silhouettes (40 inches tall, 20 inches wide) at 1000 yards is easy with a fixed 10x.  On both of my long range tactical/hunting guns, I have 4X16 power scopes.  I think you will find that it is plenty of magnification to shoot deer sized and larger animals at that (600 yds) range with good optics in that power range.  Deciding on exactly which scope will be the tough part in this.  I am like others here, I have decided on tactical scopes to hunt with primarily because I shoot those same scopes all year long on my tactical guns.  I am very familiar and comfortable with those set ups, so i hunt with them.  I know my ballistics for both tactical loads and hunting loads on each of those guns.  Makes things easy in difficult hunting circumstances because I know the rifles, scopes and loads I shoot, so I fall back to "muscle memory" in those moments.  Experience tends to breed shooter confidence in his/her shooting equipment and abilities, but you get that experience using you equipment with frequency.   Most of us here, I am sure, have dedicated hunting rifles that are not shot with nearly the same frequency as our normal "fun" guns.  That is what I discovered with my own rifles.  I have several dedicated traditional hunting rifles that I shoot only a couple of times a year.  I was shooting my tactical rigs all the time and was very confident in them and my ability to shoot them (as long as the nut behind the bolt did his part!) at long distance.  I light bulb went off in my head one day and I have hunted with them the past several years.  You will find you shoot much better with the guns you shoot the most.   Just my thoughts.
Far Beyond Driven
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2011 at 01:25
Rex, the PSTs initially shipped in small quantities. Vortex got some feedback, such as the turrets being a little loose, and decided to fine tune the scopes until they were happy with them. Now they're back in production but there are a bunch of backorders. I'd contact SWFA and maybe you'd get an idea of how much wait there would be.
Reaction time is a factor...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic