OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Value of Zeiss Scope?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tripper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Value of Zeiss Scope?
    Posted: December/13/2005 at 14:05

At a local shop there's a Zeiss 4x 32 "Diatal-C" on the used rack. It has some very noticeable ring marks on it with a price tag of $650.  It looks to have been made in the late  80's or early 90's. Seems to have some pretty nice glass in it. I'm interested but can't find anything comparable to know if the price is right. It seems a bit high to me. If anyone knows how to use the serial number to age date a scope, its 167529. 

Thanks in advance.

ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2005 at 14:18

That sounds a little ridiculous for a scope that is over 15yrs old.  It is a Zeiss and will be good.  But, there have been a lot of improvements made in optics since the late 80s.  Lower costing scopes have superior performance today.

ranburr

Tripper View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tripper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2005 at 11:05
For what its worth, I've done a little digging and learned along the way. Zeiss says the Diatal-C was last manufactured in 1994 and had a suggested retail of $519.  Ebay shows some similar scopes selling in the $232-$280 range within the last two years, but without the type of ring marks on the particular scope I'm looking at.  That said, it appears the local shop is scalp hunting. It'd rather get another 3x9 Conquest like the one I got a ramburr suggestion a few months ago. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic