OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

an apology

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outlawskinnyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: an apology
    Posted: January/22/2011 at 22:48
hey now.

ive been a bit of a dick in this part of the forum and i just want to apologize. 

i am on another forum (ar15armory.com) and never ever have problems with people there. the problem is so many times i talk to people in person and its like 

and i have this whole "complex" because im not in the service. im the first one in my family not in the service and its been eating at me a lot. i got my first neck tattoo when i was 19 and was turned down by the marines. which was kind of a world stopper for me bc my dad is tattooed up and got his all before nam. tried 3 times more all said no. then i tried the army a few years back. the army let me take the test i did, but the recuriter was all into it, but i purposely went in a hoodie. i never stopped getting tattooed bc i figured if i was done (and i also love tattoos, grew up around em) why stop, just hope the military would get desperate. so when he saw me in a short sleeve shirt (my whole neck is covered, throat, hands, even 1 of my palms is tattooed) that was the end of it. hahaha so now i do construstion. 2 of my friends are over there and i get to talk to them once or twice every 6 months.

but because of that now when i see tactical stuff on guy's guns my first thought and response is "what the hell are you gonna do with that there rambo" when in reality he is buying it because he was in the service and does know how to use it. 

so if i pissed anyone off im sorry. 

outlawskinnyd View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outlawskinnyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2011 at 22:51
you also have to realize that 95% of the forums out there dont have the people with the experience of the ones that are on here. so while it was ignorant of me to think that people here werent "the real deal" im so used to dealing with people who say things like "the ar is fine the way it is, i took a carbine course and it lasted through that no problem"

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2011 at 07:29
Originally posted by outlawskinnyd outlawskinnyd wrote:

you also have to realize that 95% of the forums out there dont have the people with the experience of the ones that are on here. so while it was ignorant of me to think that people here werent "the real deal" im so used to dealing with people who say things like "the ar is fine the way it is, i took a carbine course and it lasted through that no problem"

I think a carbine class is an excellent place to "prove" a weapon, or your gear. 

I would contend that it depends on WHO gives the class and how hard they go, but I've been to many carbine/handgun classes and have experienced malfunctions on my stuff and witnessed malfunctions on others stuff, when everything worked great "at the range". 

I'm NOT suggesting that a civilian carbine course is remotely the same as a tour of duty in combat to establish your gears worthiness, but I had stuff FUBAR and watched others struggle with gear when they ran it hard.

supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2011 at 14:33
You know there is a reason a lot of people like to use so called "tactical" equipment.  They can have real uses even for us lowly civilians.  Take an AR-15 for example.  It is designed as battle rifle.  Yet for a civilian it has a ton a great uses.  They are accurate, they are reliable, they have many barrel options, they have many trigger options.  They can be made light, or heavy.  You can buy railed forends to attach lights and lasers for night time hunting, or bipods or forgrips.  They allow the mounting of scopes of virtually any style and design and give the proper cheek weld and eye relief.  You can hold a lot of ammo for varmint hunting.  They offer tons of calibers all from the same exact weapon system for familiarity.  You can get adjustable stocks for LOP and cheek height.  The LOP ones are great is the rifle is used in both the winter and summer so it can be adjusted for the amount of clothes you are wearing.  Try that with a regular hunting rifle.  You can easily attach backup sights incase you have a scope failure while out hunting.  You can easily attach sound suppressors to them for hearing protection and to limit spooking game.  With a flash hider attached, you don't have to worry so much about dinging up your crown.  They are easy to maintain and replace parts.  Virtually anyone with mechanical skills by just watching a few videos can completely build an AR in less than an hour.   They make a great home defense weapon for many of the reasons stated above.  The list just goes on and on.

It is the same with scopes.  Mildots can have a great application for hunters.  You can use them for holdovers, with practice you can actually determine how far a way an animal is.  Having adjustable turrets give you the ability to dial in farther ranges and wind which is beneficial to make you you hit that animal where it needs to be hit.  ACOGs are great for those who want a super tough scope with a BDC and lit reticle.  There is not really any other scope available that is better in those regards if a fixed scope is your need. 

I could keep going, but just because I have not served does not mean so called "tactical" equipment is not useful for my types of shooting. 

Not to be to harsh here, but instead of blaming your insults you have done to some on this site to your not being accepted into the service, which seems like a pretty lame excuse to me for your behavior.  Maybe actually say you just have no personal experience with this stuff and really don't know what you are talking about with a lot of it.  Nothing at all wrong with that, we all started somewhere.  Guys like Rancid, Rifledude, cheaptrick, and many others have years of real word and some military experience and really do know what they speak.  But we have all been there and inserted foot in mouth.  I know I have done it my fair share of times.  But don't just expect people to forgive if you don't offer a real apology. 

Edited by supertool73 - January/23/2011 at 15:28
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outlawskinnyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2011 at 16:41
i do have a lot of personal experience with it. and i do know how to use it. maybe i havent used the mil-hash on a 1-4x scope but have used it on more powerful scopes. for hunters yeah i see a big reason for them. military as well. but its not for me to say whats practical and what isnt...and i do that a tad bit too much

do i see a need for 1-4x scopes with mil hash or dot? no way. but i gotta start realizing that maybe someone does. and as outrageous as i think it is, im sure i have something that others think is outraegous and useless.

i do think carbine classes are a good thing. but i never understand why people stop to take pictures of themselves going through the obstacles or have others take pics for them...

338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2011 at 16:54
Why don't you get them removed it might be less painful than living the rest of your life with the regret.

It would prepare you for your resistive interrogation training less the water-boarding section...

Edited by 338LAPUASLAP - January/23/2011 at 17:15
No one
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outlawskinnyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2011 at 17:06
bc i love them to death. i dont regret getting tattooed i regret the lack of recourse against those who made ridiculous decisions based on looks instead of morale. "we dont care if your joining only because you wanna learn tactics then go back and teach the gang bangers you hang with how to fight, as long as you look ok in dress blues"

hahah they took my friend in and he has a 3 leaf clover with 666 in it. right on his arm. but it was the only one he had.

come on you gotta be able to do better than the newbie whip...
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2011 at 17:11
outlawskinnyd, 
Please go back and reread the rules.  This is not a forum for such banter.  I've discussed this with you, already.  Ease up on the challenges.  It is not welcome.

Vr,
Dan
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outlawskinnyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2011 at 17:24
kickboxer i just sent this to you in a message but i feel all should read it

< ="utf-8">"this is too complicated. im used to a more open method of discussion and not being so tightly cornered. i didnt know i bantered. i didnt attack anyone. this is getting ridiculous. if one cant answer an inquiry about removing tattoos and falsely saying im gonna live regret because of tattoos with an honest but respectful answer i dont know what else to do. this amount of restriction is ridiculous."

im out of here, this is ridiculous. i was kidding about the newbie whip. 

Howdy i wish you all the best of luck and a good successful life. supertool thanks for the help with 50mm scopes, but its only a matter of time before i get banned. this is way to strict of a forum for real discussion. but no hard feelings on my end...

Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2011 at 17:41
You are not being cornered.  You offered an apology that has hardly been read yet.

I was not trying  telling you to regret getting inked I was just suggesting that you could get them removed if you wanted to serve your country.

It is not about being who you are as a person.

I am a simple person in a regard of apologies you accept it and move on.

Conformity and Dress is a part of our military oneness and like-kindness.

Soldiering is a process that has near been perfected.

This is not a stab but I think you should try to re-enlist it will complete your transition it will allow you to mature in good ways.  Offer you opportunities that a civilian cannot have.  That and physically you only have a few more years that they will accept you...

If you are serious about it people on this forum could make recommendation for your enlistment and depending on your selection of MOS a certain amount of "exceptions" can be made.  You have to approach the subject appropriately.

No one
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outlawskinnyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2011 at 17:43
338...i like you a lot. you truly are a gentleman. and i mean that. im not being a wise ass. you really are. 

but why can i debate or answer someone without getting the third degree?

dude how many times have we talked in pm and its been fine.

im gonna stay in the centerfire forum. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2011 at 17:45

Howdy i wish you all the best of luck and a good successful life. supertool thanks for the help with 50mm scopes, but its only a matter of time before i get banned. this is way to strict of a forum for real discussion. but no hard feelings on my end...

Man...I thought I was a diva. Stare
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outlawskinnyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2011 at 17:45
im gonna be 27 am i still able to enlist? i was told by a recruiter the maximum age was 28. 

and hahaha how many exceptions? this is what we are dealing with (and we havent gotten into my record yet)

Edited by outlawskinnyd - January/23/2011 at 17:47
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2011 at 17:56
Skinny, I thought you were out of here, welcome back.

In all seriousness this thread has nothing to do with tactical scopes and should be moved to an area like "almost anything goes" (or deleted all together).
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2011 at 18:01
You have a few years for the ARMY they might be able to get them removed by then...

No Navy and no Marines for sure.

• Army - 42 (must ship to basic training prior to 42nd birthday)
  • Air Force - 27
  • Navy - 34
  • Marines - 28
  • Coast Guard - Age 27. Note: up to age 32 for those selected to attend A-school directly upon enlistment (this is mostly for prior service).

Reserve Non-Prior Service

• Army Reserves - 42 (must ship to basic training prior to 42nd birthday)
  • Army National Guard - 35 (changed from 42 in 2009)
  • Air Force Reserve - 34
  • Air National Guard - 40 (Changed from 34 in Aug 2009)
  • Naval Reserves - 39
  • Marine Corps Reserve - 29
  • Coast Guard Reserves - Age 39

Edited by 338LAPUASLAP - January/23/2011 at 18:07
No one

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2011 at 18:04
Originally posted by mike650 mike650 wrote:

Skinny, I thought you were out of here, welcome back.

In all seriousness this thread has nothing to do with tactical scopes and should be moved to an area like "almost anything goes" (or deleted all together).

Concur! 
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2011 at 18:12
A few other things they look at:

1. Intoxicated or under influence of alcohol or drugs at time of application, or at any stage of processing for enlistment.

2. Having history of psychotic disorders or state of insanity.

3. Questionable moral character.

4. Alcoholism.

5. Drug dependence.

6. Sexual perversion.

7. History of antisocial behavior.

8. History of frequent or chronic venereal disease
No one
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2011 at 18:39
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Man...I thought I was a diva. Stare

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2011 at 18:44
outlaw, that's some serious tats... you can get them removed, but it will be painful... of course, getting all that had to be some painful.  

Maybe it'll be "reverse pain"...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2011 at 18:46
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

Maybe it'll be "reverse pain"...

Which would be....pleasure??  Bucky
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic