OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

A little help please

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A little help please
    Posted: January/22/2011 at 21:19
  I just got a rifle from an older gentleman. It has a Pentax 4-16x50 scope on it.
It has PENTAX MADE IN U.S.A. on the ocular bell. Both of the bells are truly bell shaped.
The main tube is 30 millimeters. Reticle is mildots. There is a laminated mildot correction
chart affixed to scope, ammo specific. The elev and windage knobs are fingertip or coin
adjustable. It has a small side focus knob for parallax. It has an even smaller knob under
the side focus knob that sticks out on a 45% angle that I have no idea what it is or what
it's for. It does not have a fast focus eyepiece nor a lock ring on the ocular bell. The ocular
bell seems quite stiff to turn but I can tell it changes the reticle focus slowly. The overall
length is a shade over 16".
  Can anyone tell me anything about this scope and what it may be worth?
Thanks for any help. Slim
slim View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2011 at 13:58
Okay, I figured out everything except what is small knob that sticks out on a 45% angle under the
side parallax focus knob and what is a zero reset feature?
The scope is a Pentax Lightseeker 30 that has been painted. If you look close you can see Lightseeker 30 impression under paint on side of ocular bell.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2011 at 14:04
Originally posted by slim slim wrote:

Okay, I figured out everything except what is small knob that sticks out on a 45% angle under the
side parallax focus knob and what is a zero reset feature?
The scope is a Pentax Lightseeker 30 that has been painted. If you look close you can see Lightseeker 30 impression under paint on side of ocular bell.

That is the housing for the spring that supports the adjustments.  I suggest you do not touch it.  You might find marking "Posi-Lock" near it.

Zero-Reset is a feature that allows you to reset the scale on the turrets so that the "0" marking matches you sight in.

ILya
DAVE44 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAVE44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2011 at 15:35
Burris makes Pentax Scopes. That 45 degree angle knob is probably what is known as Posi-lock or for Pentax they call it Perma-alignment knob. It is supposed to work like this. Once you adjust your scope settings you then tighten that knob down until it is snug. It keeps your adjustments from being able to be moved at all. It is like a set screw. You can look it up on Burris website and it will explain it better. Just because that knob is there doesnt always mean it has Posi-lock. Sometimes they use the same tube but that model wont have the Posi-lock set screw inside, it is just a cap. If yours says Perma-alignment or Posi-lock then you might need to back the screw out to make your adjustments and then just snug it down once your done. If it doesnt say anything or just says "DO NOT REMOVE" then just leave it alone as it is just a cover cap. I have read that sometimes snugging it down will change your adjustments a tad so If I were you unless your scope is having trouble holding zero I wouldnt even mess with it.
     The Zero adjustment just means once youve turned the adjustments and gotten your scope sighted in, you can then loosen the adjustment cap screws and re-align your zero mark on the adjustment turret to read zero without actually turning your adjustment knob. This way if your ever adjust your scope for a different range and then want to go back to your original sight in settings you just return your adjustments back to the zero number setting on your turrets.

Edited by DAVE44 - January/23/2011 at 15:42
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic