OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

hunting scope advise.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: hunting scope advise.
    Posted: January/22/2011 at 17:34

I am new to the forum. 

I would appreciate any advise you may have on a hunting scope. I am having a 280 AI built.  Light/Moderate (yes, its relative) weight rifle. Model 70 action, 24 inch # 3 barrel, McMillan stock.  This is supposed to be an all-around rifle but main purpose is spot and stalk, sometimes at elevation.   Most shots under 300 yds but need capabilities to 500 on deer size game.  Durability, clean optics and overall rifle balance are concerns.   Am looking at Nightforce 2.5-10 x 32 on heavy end, Swarovski Z3, and Leuply VX3 3.5-10x40.  Are there additional scopes that I should consider?

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2011 at 17:36
Welcome to Optics Talk! 
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2011 at 17:53
The Z3 is a dandy scope and they've been reasonably discounted.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
jetwrnch View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jetwrnch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2011 at 18:25
Budget? I would think an Elite 4200 would be a good line considering the discounts. Spot and stalk often results in some huffing and puffing and wet weather, especially at elevation. The Rainguard is more resistant to having the ocular fogged due to heavy breathing in cold temps. It will still fog over a bit, but not to the point of losing the shot. A 4-16x50 can be found for $400 or less while they last. That said, my personal go to scope is a Trijicon due to good glass, fast reticle and durability. Another good scope would be the Zeiss Conquest with z600 reticle. In my opinion light rifles are hard on heavy scopes.
bp View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2011 at 19:06
Jetwrnch and all:

The rifle is not going to be cheap and the scope does not have to be either.
Would like to keep under $1500 and of course the more inexpensive the better.
Really depends on quality for the buck.  This rifle will be shot often.

Have not looked at a Trijicon and will do so.

jetwrnch View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jetwrnch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2011 at 22:52
http://swfa.com/Zeiss-35-10x44-Conquest-Rifle-Scope-P8667.aspx
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2011 at 23:00
+1 swaro
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2011 at 10:32
The z3 is easily the best of the three your looking at.  Should meet all your criteria.

You might want to check the samplelist for a Zeiss Diavari demo as well.  Sounds like a nice setup!
-Matt
jetwrnch View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jetwrnch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2011 at 14:38
The Minox is a very light weight scope. That worries me. I've yet to find out why it's so much lighter than comparable models. My worry is that it could be more easily damaged by impact.  Impacts are more probable from falls, etc. in real world hunting conditions. I'd much rather have a bit more weight than great glass in a beer can. Minox states their tubes are "aircraft aluminum," which could mean about anything. Keep in mind though that I hunt in difficult conditions, have fallen down more than one mountain, and have nothing else to base my fears on.
quarterbore View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper
Previously Banned Troll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quarterbore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2011 at 15:27
I really like the Nightforce idea with the 32mm objective.  I prefer low profile scopes, especially lightweight rifle for stalk and hunt and a 280 does not need really high magnification.  I have a Zeiss Conquest 2.5-8x32 that is terrific scope with excellent optics and eye relief that would be perfect on that rifle and would not break the bank.  However, since I bought mine, I cannot find any for sale, but they are listed on the Zeiss website.  It has easily become one of my favorite scopes.  The other choice would be a Leupold VX-3 2.5-8x32.  I have the previous version which is terrific and from what I read this one is better.  Again excellent optics and eye relief and not a bank breaker.  Let us know what you get and enjoy.
outlawskinnyd View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outlawskinnyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2011 at 18:04
ill tell you this much, the choices you listed are all winners. id pick the lighest, most structural sound scope. for me thats leupold vx3 for what i can afford. right under that i place bushnell elite for what i can afford. if i could afford a z3, which i might be able to soon, id get one. the 3-9x36, which is also my personal fav leupold vx3 scope. 

lots of people here swear by the conquest. 

just walk into some local shops see what they got...and dont base your conclusions on indoor light, ask to go outside with a salesman. even better do it at dusk and look. then go back look in light outside. then come here on swfa and order it!
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2011 at 18:33
6lb 280 Ti,  gun/scope balance excellent z6 outstanding in low light as well as the 500 yd canyon shot

Edited by Dale Clifford - January/23/2011 at 18:34
I love little league baseball-- it keeps the kids out of the house
Yogi Bera

bp View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2011 at 18:40

Durability is a big deal and from what I have been able to gather the Leupold, Zeiss, Swaro and NF have pretty good track records and customer service. SWFA was recommended and this forum was listed as a place to get the straight dope.

Objective size is important more from mounting height, want to use low Talleys,  than from weight.   Since this is not a long range or tactical rifle should be ok with a 9x and 40mm or less.  I need to get a look at the Swaro reticles. I  have seen the others but not in a direct comparison.

I am looking forward to this gun being finished this spring and getting to know it.  It is made for the west where things often want to turn into an endurance contest.  Hopefully, the gunsmith has come up with a good compromise between pack-ability and shoot-ability.  I have a friend with an illuminated 22 power scope on a 30-338 Weatherby.  I am hoping I come up with something just as cool  in a completely different way.

Thanks all.  You gave me some things to think about.

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2011 at 18:51
Several good game bullets come in 7mm in the .5 or above bc. It takes a something like a 30 mag or better to keep up with the 280. The Ti above uses 162 a max with bc. around .6 at 2850/2900 which takes a really good mag. The z6 is mounted pretty low for a 50 mm objective, about the only thing your going to gain with a 40 is more air under the bell.
I love little league baseball-- it keeps the kids out of the house
Yogi Bera

bp View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2011 at 19:58
Dale:
Nice rifle.  Mine will be a bit heavier
The picture helped as the 700 ti had a fairly heavy contoured fluted barrel if I remember correctly

which reticle did you go with?

Bruce
jetwrnch View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jetwrnch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2011 at 20:39
Take a HARD look at the Trijicon 3-9x40. In my opinion it's the best overall package. Not the best glass but near the top. The reticles are what set it apart and make it a true hunting optic. Great in low light and lightening fast when it needs to be. If you're going on extended hunts, traveling, etc. they're cheap enough to carry a spare in qd rings. I always have two scopes sighted in for my main rifle "just in case." It sounds like overkill until you wipe out in a creek because your feet got caught up in some roots and you land on the scope. (Hypothetically of courseWhistling) In my humble opinion as a hunter an $800 scope and a $400+ scope are better than any $1500 scope.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic