OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Vortex 6.5-20x44 Viper

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevesdl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vortex 6.5-20x44 Viper
    Posted: January/22/2011 at 16:10
I have seen so many good reviews on this rifle scope.  I am ready to purchase one right from here as well but I have a few questions if some people can chime in.

This will be for big game hunting. 338 Win Mag (Yes I want something more than Monarch 3-9x40)

1. Shooting offhand, will the focus on this scope be jittery. I have heard that scopes in th higher than 18 will be difficult to keep target without a stand)

2. If I want to bring this down to 18 or 15, will I have my sight-in for 200 yards dramtically change or even change at all?

3. Is anyone here using this scope for Big Game Hunting?

4. Is there a better scope with similar power that is in the $399.00 price range?

Thanks All
Stevesdl
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2011 at 16:31
Offhand shooting is a jittery business. There is offhand and offhand shooting.

If you are shooting offhand at a moving target then the jittering bug is less of a problem as one shoots shotgun style. Pick-up and follow and shoot. For that the 6,5 X is about as high as you want to go, depending on the distance of your target. I would say inside 150 yds. Out past that 10X will still be OK for pick-up. (I have shot many an animal with my 3.5-10X set on 10X.

If you are shooting at a stationary target and have time, such as target shooting, you can go to 20X. The magnification do not cause jitter, the shooter causes jitter.

I, and others, shoot in competitions and shoot offhand at 25X. So it can be done, you can clearly see your point of aim and see if you are on or off the target.

Read the manual of the best offhand shooters, no-one keeps a rifle dead still, but they time the shot.

It is true that if you jitter a lot that the high magnification can make you seasick. but if you are fairly steady you do not need a shooting stick or bench when using a high magnification..

Your impact should not shift as you change magnification.

This is a good scope choice if your quarry is further then 100yds. The 6,5X can be a bit high for closer work. So you need to know your engagement distance, rather then the size of the game.

Hope this helps.

Edited by 8shots - January/22/2011 at 16:37
Stevesdl View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevesdl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2011 at 16:51
It definitely helped. I grewup shooting offhand always. Was on the rifle team way back when and shot all 4 positions for competition but nothing like what you guys do today that is for sure.

I just have never had a scope power over 3-9 but saw Son's the other day and it is nice. We are in Colorado and its hard to believe until you are there, but darn these shots are sometimes at 60 yards but often are ar 180-350.  Son took a nice muley, pointing uphill at 425. One shot as well.

I just want to make sure it is not the SCOPE that focus is jittery. I probaly have heard wrong in the past.  I am hoping this will be a versatile hunting rifle scope here in Colorado.

Any other comments very welcome

Stevesdl
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2011 at 22:16
I have the Viper 6.5-20x50mm.  IMO it has pretty short eye relief for a .338.  Also, again just my opinion, but I think 6.5 is to much for hunting big game.  I would consider a 3-15x or a 4-16x at the most.  Just so you have the low end available to you. 

On the Viper once you get to 16x the eye position becomes pretty critical.  It makes it quite a bit more difficult to follow a moving target.  The image gets pretty dark at that point too, because of the low exit pupil.  Above 16x I just don't think they are that good of a scope. 

Edited by supertool73 - January/22/2011 at 22:17
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2011 at 02:55
+1 on what Supertool said.

My comments are made in general and not specific to the Viper, and I agree a short eye relief can be a problem.

I was answering your question regarding magnification.

If I had to buy again for hunting, I would choose the 4,5-16X range of scope. We also have shots from 30 yds to as far as you want to go...400yds +. So my 3,5 -10X at 10X is on the odd occasion at its limits for decent shot placing.

Edited by 8shots - January/23/2011 at 03:04
jjyoung View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjyoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2011 at 08:47
I think 6.5x is very high for hunting.  Like others mention, 3-15x or 4-20x is all thats needed.   Most big game hunters I know only use 3-9 or, 2.5-10, or 3.5-10x.  Your shooting a good size target, not P-Dogs
Stevesdl View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevesdl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2011 at 11:56
I value everyone's comments and I mean everyone's.  Both my concern for jittery view and value for the higher magnifications as well as eye relief are excellent answers. Don't anyone ever think their answers are not appreciated. :) :) That is exactly why I love these forums.

I am doing more research and at this time backing off the purchase. 

Any suggestions on some 4-15 or 4-16 in 42 or 44mm in this prie range, quality and warranty and service. (This is why I was going with Vortex)

Thanks guys
Steve
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2011 at 12:26
Here is one that is definetly worth looking at http://swfa.com/Burris-45-14x42-Fullfield-II-Rifle-Scope-P48189.aspx.
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2011 at 12:33
If I had to choose between magnification and a decent scope, decent would win every time.

What I am trying to say is rather buy a decent 3-9 X then a so-so 4-16X if you are on a budget. Or wait a while and buy later,

I cannot help you from this end as our scope prices differ in South Africa. Leupolds seem cheaper in SA and are an excellent choice in my opinion.

The Vortex range seem to be good value for money, but a few mixed reviews given. So make sure you hold one in your hand before purchasing it for your first hand evaluation.
Stevesdl View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevesdl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2011 at 12:34
That is a nice scope. Is that a semi-Mil Dot illuminated reticle or is that a ballistic drop reticle.

Also, as cautious as I am on spending a few dollars, if a product like this is discontinued, will I run into issues with warrranty or service. It would stink if 3 weeks before I go hunting, I get caught in a whirlwind with the manufacturer because of servicing a discontinued product.

Thanks
Steve
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2011 at 12:40
The other factor you have to consider on a hunting scope is the AO or side adjustable parallax adjustment.
On most higher magn scopes they have these, which means you have to re-focus your scope should the distance to your target suddenly change.

In hunting terms this could be wasted time and a missed shot or opportunity.
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2011 at 12:52
That is what burris calls the ballistic plex reticle. it is a BDC type. As far as warranty work, I really have no idea. In 15+ years of using burris scopes I have never had to use their warranty service. I have on a few occasions called them with questions and they have always been very helpful and courteous.
Stevesdl View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevesdl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2011 at 12:53
"The other factor you have to consider on a hunting scope is the AO or side adjustable parallax adjustment."

Well, I am learning how much I just don't know about scopes very quickly. Being a standard 3-9x40 guy, I am now seeing another consideration.

I saw someone mention this issue with this scope on either this site or another site. As silly as it sounds, I thought that additional AO knob was another benefit of high dollar scopes and not higher power scopes.  The topic I saw compared with a Monarch where the monarch AO did not need to be adjusted and the Viper did on 100yard and 200 yard distances.

Thank you greatly for pointing that out
Steve
Stevesdl View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevesdl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2011 at 13:26
Excellent recommendation on the Burris! I am looking at this.  Also looking at the new Viper HS 4-16x44 that are not out till this Summer.

there is some wisdom to this thought!!!
"What I am trying to say is rather buy a decent 3-9 X then a so-so 4-16X if you are on a budget. Or wait a while and buy later" 

I have a decent 3-9x40mm. Even though I am contantly shooting and doing some cool reload testing for 338 win mag, 300 win mag and 300 WSM, 3006 (not all my rifles), Hunting season is 10 months away.

You guys are rocket science and this forum greatly benefits from your comments. I sure did. I am going to look for a better suited scope for me.

Reasons for stopping the purchase:
Lower 6.5 power
AO adjustment consideration
Eye relief
power above 16 not the best

and a few other comments ya'll mentioned

Thanks for all the help
Steve

Prieto9000 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prieto9000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2011 at 11:54
I'm currently using a 6.5-20X50 Viper on my big game rifle (7mm rem mag), a 6.5-20X44 on my Varmint Rifle and a 6.5-20X50 on my competition rimfire and have no complaints. All 3 scopes have worked great for me. Image stays crystal clear at the whole magnification range. 
I was using Leupold VX-III and Nikon Monarch before this vortex and I won't go back. No regrets.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic