OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope mounted too low?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jd3006 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope mounted too low?
    Posted: January/22/2011 at 15:57
I have a Zeiss Conquest 3x9x40 mounted with Leupold low rings in standard bases on my Rem.700. I'm having trouble getting a clear sight picture in any power above about 4x. I'm having to move my head back and forth or even up and down to try to get a clear sight picture. Could it be  the low rings? I'm wondering if I tried medium rings this problem might be cured. My understanding is the Zeiss has constant eye relief so what's causing this problem? My 3x9 has almost turned into a 3-4x due to not being able to see clearly. Looking for any help I can get. Thanks.
jd
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2011 at 22:32
did you adjust the diopter on the eye piece??
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
jetwrnch View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jetwrnch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2011 at 22:37
What if you move your eye closer to the scope? Further away? Is the scope blacking out or just out of focus?
slowr1der View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowr1der Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2011 at 22:59
Well, are you having to move your head up to get a good sight picture? If so, it's likely your scope is mounted too low. If you are having to move it frontwards and backwards it's likely your scope is mounted either too far forward or too far backwards.

I personally am not a big fan of low rings. They get the scope too far down for me. However, some guys really like them. I myself like mediums.
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2011 at 23:05

I would check the focus and eye relief before changing the rings. is the scope touching the barrel or the bases or anything?

jd3006 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jd3006 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2011 at 07:53
I did focus the scope, clear as a bell and there is clearance all around. As far as being too far forward or back, it's a possibility, but with the scope having constant eye relief would there not be a clear sight picture on say 8x if it's clear at 4x?
jd
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2011 at 09:18
How far away is the object you are looking at? On a fixed power scope the Focus Sweet spot is normally around 100 -200 yds. This is subject to each individuals eyes. If you are looking at a target much closer then the subject will appear in better focus at a lower power than it will at a higher power.  A big influence is age. Younger eyes have more ability to focus faster and more accurately than older eyes.
     Most often poor scope position (Scope set back too far) makes a scope hard to get behind.
I think it was Supertool that posted a good picture showing the best, (normal) position to start the mounting procedure. With the scope half way back along the grip of the stock. I do not have Photoshop to copy his work. Wink

Edited by 3_tens - January/23/2011 at 09:20
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
GarandThumb View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GarandThumb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2011 at 09:18

When I changed out the stock on one of my rifles (savage), the replacment stock had a higher comb (B&C Medalist) which made it difficult to look through the scope.  I added a base (egw 0 moa) which raised everything just a tad and it helped a lot.

At least for me in this case the scope was too low.
Johnny View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2011 at 12:34
If you must press your cheek really tight on the stock to make the scope view clear, the rings maybe too low. If your cheek has to be raised to get the full view it's too high.Smile
Black Bear Road
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2011 at 17:47
Originally posted by Johnny Johnny wrote:

If you must press your cheek really tight on the stock to make the scope view clear, the rings maybe too low. If your cheek has to be raised to get the full view it's too high.Smile
 If this is the situation, the better choice would be to get a stock that fits the shooter properly. This solves the problem. Johnny you are correct in that higher rings can help, but they also trade off one problem for others. 1. It is always better to keep the scope as close to the bore as possible. 2. taller rings increase the stress on the entire mounting system. This can increase the chance of failure. This is more evident with larger scopes and larger calibers.
Johnny, welcome to the OT  Howdy
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic