OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Long range AR scope recommendations

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pyrex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Long range AR scope recommendations
    Posted: January/21/2011 at 17:45
I have been competing recently in long rang competition with with AR-15.  I'm shooting a 24" 1:8 sabre defence barrel.  Currently I have a Leupold Vari-x III 3.5-10x40 which is a great piece of glass, however it is nowhere near enough magnification for 600 yards+ which is what I built the rifle for.  I have a modest budget, and I've already submitted my scope in for a trade appraisal.  I was really interested in the Nikon 6-24x50 Monarch scope.  It seems like enough magnification and I'm a photographer who shoots Nikon - so I appreciate their glass quality.  I wanted to get some target shooter's opinions about how well the turrets function and the overall value of this scope and if I should be looking at another alternative.
Pyrex View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pyrex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2011 at 17:46
I also should add I do hunt with the rifle as well, mostly hogs between 200-500yards.
jetwrnch View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jetwrnch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2011 at 18:23
Elite 4200 4-16 or 6-24. Either can be found dirt cheap right now. I've seen both go for less than $300 in the last two weeks, but the norm is less than $400.
jjyoung View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjyoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2011 at 19:22
The elite 4200's are very nice.  I would also check out Vortex's new PST series scopes and make sure the scope you choose has enough adjustment range to reach that far with a 5.56.  What grain bullet are you shooting? 
Pyrex View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pyrex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2011 at 20:15
I've dialed in my best load to be a Hornady 75gr BTHP.  I see you both recommended the Elite 4200 - Neither recommended the Nikon Monarch - which leaves me questioning it.  Any reason you don't recommend it?
Pyrex View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pyrex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2011 at 20:16
I should also mention clarity is a big deal for me, and relief - My Vari-X III had terrible relief and I always had a heck of a time training shooters with it.
Pyrex View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pyrex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2011 at 20:28
I have to be honest, the price of that 2400 elite scares me - it's pretty cheap.  But, if it's good no need to overpay, right?  I'm looking to spend at most $550 - maybe more if the value is there.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2011 at 20:35
Several things here - while an AR-15 may work for  hogs up close the bullet does not retain much energy at distance so a larger caliber would be highly advisable.
Next I've had good luck with Nikon pro photo products for many years and their scopes are decent scopes but they tend not to have enough internal adjustment for really long range.  Sightron SIII scopes would work for you.  Vortex Viper PST scope would work for you and should be out soon.  I would probably select one of those however there is another scope that I like in spite of the fact it has only 50 moa of internal adjustment that is the Trijicon 5-20x50 with green mil dot.  Since you are talking about hunting hogs the illuminated reticle might be of value. Also the Viper PST will have illumination but there is a waiting list at this point so if you want one call SWFA and talk to them as it could take a couple months  for supply to catch up with demand.   Also most of the 4200 scopes dont have huge amounts of internal adjustment either but they are great glass.  in any case I would probably want a La Rue mount or a GG&G mount.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Pyrex View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pyrex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2011 at 22:35
Thank you for the edumacation... I don't realize the monarch only had a paltry 30moa of internal adjustment...that is disappointing. By my calculations my 75gr drops 11.26" at 300 yards...so with this scope I'm going to be limited to about 400 yards. I'm half tempted to buy it still and mount it to a 10moa canted base which would give me (if I'm lucky) adjustment out to 500-600 yards. How is the glass quality on the bushnell 4200?
grimreaper21 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grimreaper21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2011 at 09:34
I believe it is definately up there in terms of what you get for your money... otherwise you'd probably have to step up to the $800+ range.
jetwrnch View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jetwrnch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2011 at 10:32
Are you using turrets to dial in at long range? I'm guessing the adjustment is not as critical if using a BDC or mil dot hold over type reticle, provided you know the measurements at a given magnification.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2011 at 11:14
Sightron 6-24x50 SIII 30mm Riflescope
Sightron 6-24x50 SIII 30mm Riflescope
Stock # - SIIISS624X50LRMDCM
  • Matte
  • Mil-Dot
  • 30mm
  • Side Focus
  • .1 MRAD Tactical Knobs
$844.95 
Vortex 4-16x50 Viper PST 30mm Rifle Scope
Vortex 4-16x50 Viper PST 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - PST416S1M
  • Matte
  • EBR-1 Mil Reticle
  • 30mm
  • .10 Mil Adjustments
$699.95
Vortex 4-16x50 Viper HS 30mm Rifle Scope
Vortex 4-16x50 Viper HS 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - VORVHS4307LR
  • Accepting Back Orders for Summer Ship Date
  • Matte
  • Dead-Hold BDC
  • 30mm
  • Long Range
  • Waterproof
  • Fogproof
  • Shockproof
$539.95
SWFA SS 3-9x42 Tactical RiflescopeSWFA SS 6x42 Tactical Riflescope
Mil-Dot SWFA SS 3-9x42 Tactical Riflescope
Stock # - SS39X42
  • Matte
  • First Focal Plane Mil-Dot
  • 30mm
  • OK for .50 cal
  • 0.1 MRAD
$599.95 
Add SWFA SS 3-9x42 Tactical Riflescope to Cart
More Details »

Optional Accessories:
< id=ctl00_wpm_CategoryGrid_ctl04_ProductList_ctl05_Add2Cart_KitComponent_13_0 =":setTimeout'__doPostBack'ctl00$wpm$CategoryGrid$ctl04$ProductList$ctl05$Add2Cart$KitComponent_13$0',''', 0" = name=ctl00$wpm$CategoryGrid$ctl04$ProductList$ctl05$Add2Cart$KitComponent_13$0>
< id=ctl00_wpm_CategoryGrid_ctl04_ProductList_ctl05_Add2Cart_KitComponent_13_1 =":setTimeout'__doPostBack'ctl00$wpm$CategoryGrid$ctl04$ProductList$ctl05$Add2Cart$KitComponent_13$1',''', 0" = name=ctl00$wpm$CategoryGrid$ctl04$ProductList$ctl05$Add2Cart$KitComponent_13$1>
< id=ctl00_wpm_CategoryGrid_ctl04_ProductList_ctl05_Add2Cart_KitComponent_13_2 =":setTimeout'__doPostBack'ctl00$wpm$CategoryGrid$ctl04$ProductList$ctl05$Add2Cart$KitComponent_13$2',''', 0" = name=ctl00$wpm$CategoryGrid$ctl04$ProductList$ctl05$Add2Cart$KitComponent_13$2>
SWFA SS 6x42 Tactical Riflescope
Stock # - SS6X42
  • Matte
  • Mil-Dot
  • 30mm
  • Rear Focus
  • OK for .50 cal
  • 1/4 MOA
$299.95 

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2011 at 14:21
Originally posted by Pyrex Pyrex wrote:

I have been competing recently in long rang competition with with AR-15.  I'm shooting a 24" 1:8 sabre defence barrel.  Currently I have a Leupold Vari-x III 3.5-10x40 which is a great piece of glass, however it is nowhere near enough magnification for 600 yards+ which is what I built the rifle for.  I have a modest budget, and I've already submitted my scope in for a trade appraisal.  I was really interested in the Nikon 6-24x50 Monarch scope.  It seems like enough magnification and I'm a photographer who shoots Nikon - so I appreciate their glass quality.  I wanted to get some target shooter's opinions about how well the turrets function and the overall value of this scope and if I should be looking at another alternative.

Nikon Imaging and Nikon Sport Optics share Nikon name and nothing else.

Aside from a few other quirks, high magnification Monarch scopes have so little adjustment range that I never recommend them for long range shooting.

Most Elite 4200 scope are not huge on adjustment range either, but better than Monarch.

Generally, if you can afford it, Sightron makes the best (in my opinion) high magnification scopes in the sub-$1000 price range. Try Sightron S3 6-24x50.

If you would rather stay in the lower price range, Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50 is the way to go.

Last year, I put together some recommendation for riflescopes in different price range.  I will update it for 2011, but for the most part, they still hold:

ILya
bman940 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bman940 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2011 at 05:55
You can always wait a little bit and check out Nikon's new Monarch 8-32x50?
Did you get a chance to look at it at Shot?

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic