OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Nitrex Scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cardiff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nitrex Scope
    Posted: January/21/2011 at 14:04

I'm looking at buying a new Nitrex 1 3-9x42 for a hog/deer hunting scope.  Does any one have any exp. with this line of scope?  I heard that they are made by weaver?  The reason I'm looking at getting this brand is because of the rebate that they currently have on them.  Or should I stay away from them and buy a different brand, any recommendations?  Thanks, Gary.

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2011 at 14:07
Nitrex is made by weaver, that said they are going away whats left is suppose to be whats left and no new nitrex will be offered.  I had a TR2 and got rid of it quickly, the tube was so short that  mounting it was a chore and the eye position was very very finicky.
Shenko View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shenko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2011 at 14:42
Have a TR One 3-10X50. No problems whatsoever. I would expect the 3-9 to be an excellent scope.

hunterwingler View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterwingler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2011 at 15:04
I know few guys I shoot with that has had them I myself don't one but shoot theirs seem to be pretty good scope. they like em haven't anything go wrong with them. Graham I got friend that works ATK (weaver) I see what he know about it
 YES They are going to be discontinued

Edited by hunterwingler - January/21/2011 at 15:08
I wasn't upset about the black cat crossing my path this morning but mouthing "your fu@#ed" as he passed was just rude.

If Guns kill people mine are all defective
penguin6 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote penguin6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2011 at 23:26
I had a TR2 that was sent in for replacement, now the replacement has been sent back for a replacement.  On both of them the illum module came loose under recoil, no problems with the glass, reticle, or adjustments.  I don't like the big, loose, pop-up turrets on mine, but the TR1 doesn't have that style.  Customer service was easy to deal with, but I've spent half my rebate on shipping.  With the closeout prices and rebate, along with what seems to be a generally happy crew of owners (from what little's posted here and on other forums), it seems like it'd be hard to go wrong with the one you're looking at.
WYcoyote View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WYcoyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2011 at 12:49
Originally posted by penguin6 penguin6 wrote:

I had a TR2 that was sent in for replacement, now the replacement has been sent back for a replacement.  On both of them the illum module came loose under recoil, no problems with the glass, reticle, or adjustments.  I don't like the big, loose, pop-up turrets on mine, but the TR1 doesn't have that style.  Customer service was easy to deal with, but I've spent half my rebate on shipping.  With the closeout prices and rebate, along with what seems to be a generally happy crew of owners (from what little's posted here and on other forums), it seems like it'd be hard to go wrong with the one you're looking at.
 Have you noticed the same unforgiving eyebox that SVT was describing? I am a little concerned because I bought a 3-15x50 TR2 for a long range build in progress but haven't had a chance to wring it out yet. I like ill. reticles but caught wind of some having problems so I went with the standard plex.
It seems like we could get some feedback from Weaver owners that have corresponding models (Nitrex TR2/ Weaver Super Slam, TR1/Grand Slam, etc.)
I would like to try a TR1 also for a .243.
quarterbore View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper
Previously Banned Troll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quarterbore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2011 at 15:09
The Nitrex TR2 line is the same as the Weaver Super Grand Slam models.  All made in Japan withe excellent optics.  The TR1 line used the same glass, but does away with the pop up turrets and the side focus.  Overall they are excellent scopes and thread topics such as this will attract those with problems to post their issues.  While I personally do not own one, my son has a TR2 and loves it, finding it optically superior to most scopes comparably priced to the original retail price.  He is quite knowledgeable about optics and firearms.  The eye relief on the TR2 is over 4 inches by his measurement and according to Nitrex is somewhat less for the TR1.  The 3x9 TR1 with a standard plex reticle and the 50 dollar rebate can be had for a net price of 89 bucks.  For a good rifle scope, that is not bad, especially considering that falls into the range of a lot of cheap Chinese mad junk. 
huffmanite View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huffmanite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2011 at 20:02
I've had a couple of the Nitrex TR2 scopes for over 3 months now.  Excellent optics in mine and no problems with either scope.  Anyone that has viewed thru my Nitrex has been impressed with brightness/clarity of lens.  Can't vouch for the quality of the TR1 glass, but I've not seen any negative comments about it.  
penguin6 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote penguin6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2011 at 22:05
I didn't get past range work with my TR2, but I didn't have any problem with eye position with mine at any magnification.  If I can get a replacement with a durable illum module, I'll be relatively happy with it.  The illum dot is very crisp and has a good intensity range both in red and green.  If the glass on the TR1 is the same, I'd go with one of those if I had to do it again and didn't want the extended eye relief (for a light .45-70) or the illum.  The pop up turrets I could do without;  the ones on both of mine popped up too easily and had to be checked coming out of the case and even the recoil popped them up several times.  I don't want to worry about having to check the turrets when I'm hunting.  If you're going to be in a stationary position where you can check them and then settle in and relax, shouldn't be a problem.  If the illum works on the next replacement, I'm going to try to find some type of elastic band that can cover and hold the turrets down but be relatively easily moved aside to make adjustments when necessary. 
quarterbore View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper
Previously Banned Troll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quarterbore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2011 at 07:37
The turrets should not be popping up with recoil.  They are made so that they can be adjusted to zero by a unique method and I wonder whether they need to be tightened.  I would consult the manual or even call Nitrex or Weaver, as the turrets are identical to the Weaver Super Grand Slam.  The scope is comparable to many of the Euros available, despite what you might hear, I just think it duplicates the Weaver line and is redundant and with as many scopes on the market, getting people to change brands, especially with loyalty to Leupold and others, it makes sense to close out the brand.  Their bad luck can be our good luck.  I am thinking about the 3x9, at 89 bucks after rebate, what a deal.
penguin6 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote penguin6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2011 at 01:16
The turrets adjust to zero by unscrewing the top cap, raising and rotating the turret to zero, then lowering back down so it engages, then screwing the top cap back on.  The recoil from Hornady factory .45-70 loads did loosen the top caps slightly, but even with them tightened the engaged turrets popped up.  This is a light, synthetic-stocked, single-shot rifle;  recoil is noticeable and you have to hang onto it.  Although the turrets did not pop up under the recoil of .308 auto on the replacement scope, they did come up when uncasing the rifle on two occasions.  That's looser than I prefer, as was the illum adjustment knob even before it came loose under recoil.  For someone with different purposes or preferences, that might be fine.  If I didn't need the long eye relief and was looking at something with illum, I'd choose a different scope because of the turrets and what seems to be a  problem with the illum knob, especially with the Bushnell Elites and other scopes on closeout.  If illum and long eye relief were not needed, I'd have no problem buying a TR1 if the glass is the same.   
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic