OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Nikon BDC

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote young gun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nikon BDC
    Posted: January/20/2011 at 14:00
I am looking for a scope for my 22-250 rem. i have looked into the Nikon BDC, but still have some questions. does the BDC scope work for all calibers or do you have to buy for specific calibers? if it is a one size fits all how does it account for the different trajectories of various calibers.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2011 at 14:05
you have to shoot it for yourself to see what it does. i have one on my 22-250, for coyote hunting. well i have a team primos with the bdc reticle, i ignore the bdc myself.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
trigger29 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2011 at 14:46
The reticle in Nikon scopes is in the second image plane. What this means is the reticle doesn't magnify with the image as you turn up the magnification. If you look through one of these scopes when you turn the power up, the circles will appear to "move" closer together, as the image gets bigger, and the reticle doesn't. You can use this website to get you close, then verify at the range.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
jsnspck View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsnspck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2011 at 15:35

As previously stated by trigger, use the program from Nikon to enter load data and print out cards for different magnifications.  If you chronograph your loads, you can increase your accuracy with the software.

JLud View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2011 at 21:10
Take a look through one before you buy, I didnt like the BDC circles at all, and find most people dont.  The Burris tick marks in their BDC system is much less obscuring.  My 2 cents.
That thing on the left....my old ride, some days I miss her.
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2011 at 21:21
I have 3 nikons with that reticle, and like Pyro, I just ignore it. I dont like it and like Jlud, I prefer the Burris tick marks, and the viper tick marks.
young gun View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote young gun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2011 at 01:14
thanks for all the good advice i guess i have some more research to do
trigger29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2011 at 05:58
I still prefer the Zeiss rapid Z. Less obscuring, and windage holdoffs.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2011 at 20:44
http://opticstalk.com/new-nikon-monarch-416x-w-bdc_topic9089.html

Welcome to Optics Talk. The above is a link to a review I did on a Monarch with the BDC reticle.
I actually liked the reticle, when used with a range finder or shooting known distances.   

Edited by cheaptrick - January/21/2011 at 20:46
feklar View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote feklar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2011 at 22:21
I have one of the BDC reticles and mounted it on a coyote calling gun.  I found it worked well when I took my time to make a nice shot, I was able to shoot gongs out to 400 yds easily.

I'm selling it because while I made the first shot good when the coyotes came in, shots on the run didn't do well for me.  It wasn't the bdc reticle, it was me, I kept forgetting the scope needs to be on the high power setting for the reticles to be close, and I didn't like 14 power for running coyotes.  I'm switching to a mil dot reticle.

That being said, I might like it more on a deer gun than a coyote gun.  If you want mine, its in the classified section.
Jon A View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2011 at 02:46
Originally posted by feklar feklar wrote:

I kept forgetting the scope needs to be on the high power setting for the reticles to be close, and I didn't like 14 power for running coyotes.  I'm switching to a mil dot reticle.

Make sure you get it in the FFP to eliminate that problem.
bman940 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bman940 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2011 at 06:04
If you have a Nikon scope with the BDC reticle I absolutely suggest going to Nikonhunting.com, clicking on the Spot On logo and using this site to optimize your shooting. I just finished showing 100's of folks at Shot how this all comes together and they were amazed how easy the site is to use. 
You can even print out a field reference guide showing you the distances for each circle at each magnification setting. Obviously owning a quality rangefinder will make a big difference as well.
Doesn't get much easier then that.
trigger29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2011 at 08:17
Welcome Bart! Always good to see reps coming on board.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic