OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope for muzzleloader

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fordriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope for muzzleloader
    Posted: December/11/2005 at 18:53
I am in the market for a fixed 4 power scope for my inline muzzleloader.   I am leaning towards Weaver Grand Slam.   Can anyone provide a recommendation for a medium priced fixed 4x?   I am not in a position to purchase the high end German glass.   Thanks.
ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2005 at 19:44

Sounds like a good choice.

ranburr

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2005 at 20:10
Make sure that the Grand Slam has enough eye relief for you.  Those muzzleloaders tend to kick.

There are a few nice 4x scopes out there that do not cost and arm and a leg.  They are all rugged (Weaver K4 is probably not quite as durable as the rest of them)  and well made, and I will list them in order of decreasing optical (best to worst):

IOR hunting 4x32 (~$270)

Sightron 4x32 (~$200) and Weaver Grand Slam 4.75x40 (~$230)

Leupold FX-II 4x33 (~$270) and Burris Short Mag 4x20 (~$170)

Weaver K4 4x38 (~$130)

I own a version of IOR 4x and it is excellent.  I also have a Burris 4x20 and it is a very nice little scope.  I've owned most of the others at one time or another.  Burris has the most eye relief of the bunch I think and is also the smallest and lightest.  SIghtron is a good choice as well as probably the best glass for the money.

Ilya

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic