OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Vixen scopes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FegelVuzela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vixen scopes
    Posted: January/19/2011 at 15:39
Hello!

I'm looking for a new scope to buy for my rifle. I was strongly leaning towards Meopta's Meostar 3-12x56 RD, until just recently, when I discovered a new brand called Vixen. I wasn't able to find much about the company, only that it's Japanese, and that they are one of the leading companies that make telescopes for stargazing. I looked a bit more into their riflescopes and found a 2.5-10x56 Iluminated model, that is pricewise almost identical to the previously mentioned Meostar 3-12x56 RD(both are about 900$). I was also able to find that these scopes are ment for the German makret and are aslo made in Germany. It looks like a decent scope.... There is some more info(technical) about the scope on the link below.

http://www.vixensportsoptics.com/rifle/rifleC.html

I'm form Europe therefore I'm looking for a decently built and most importantly a bright scope up to 1000$. Would Vixen do or should I get the Meopta? Does anyone have any experience with Vixen?

Thanks for your help!

P.S. I'm sorry if I didn't place this Topic in the right place, also excuse me if there are any mistakes in my language.Smile
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2011 at 19:07
I don't know about Vixen scopes, but you are in a great price range for riflescopes.

I would look close at this one (although its not illuminated):

http://swfa.com/Zeiss-3-12x56-Conquest-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P1781.aspx

-Matt
FegelVuzela View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FegelVuzela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2011 at 07:40
Hmm, I was looking a bit more but was unable to find any reviews, comparisons or overviews of Vixen riflescopes.... Too bad, they look like decent scopes but I won't risk it, so I'll get the Meopta. Bitterroot Bulls, I looked a bit into the Conquest line and it somehow does not cut it for me. I have no experience with the Conquest scopes(I'm assuming that they're decent, counting we're talking about Zeiss), but still. With the Meopta I know exactly what I'm buying, many hunters around here have them, but I have little experience with Zeiss scopes(some hunters own the older models such as Zeiss Jena, and a friend of mine owns a Victory Diavari scope, which is amazing but way to expensive). 

Thanks for your time anywaySmile
quarterbore View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper
Previously Banned Troll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quarterbore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2011 at 18:53
I believe most Vixen products are made in China.  I will not buy Chinese personally.  Too many other good scopes on the market.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2011 at 19:39
Originally posted by FegelVuzela FegelVuzela wrote:

Hmm, I was looking a bit more but was unable to find any reviews, comparisons or overviews of Vixen riflescopes.... Too bad, they look like decent scopes but I won't risk it, so I'll get the Meopta. Bitterroot Bulls, I looked a bit into the Conquest line and it somehow does not cut it for me. I have no experience with the Conquest scopes(I'm assuming that they're decent, counting we're talking about Zeiss), but still. With the Meopta I know exactly what I'm buying, many hunters around here have them, but I have little experience with Zeiss scopes(some hunters own the older models such as Zeiss Jena, and a friend of mine owns a Victory Diavari scope, which is amazing but way to expensive). 

Thanks for your time anywaySmile

Meopta Meostar scopes are great!  I was just giving you another option.  Conquest scopes are right there with the Meostar.  You should post a pic of your setup when you have it up and running.
-Matt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2011 at 19:40
I have also heard Meopta sources the glass for the Conquest line, to Zeiss' specs.
-Matt
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FegelVuzela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2011 at 06:03
Originally posted by quarterbore quarterbore wrote:

I believe most Vixen products are made in China.  I will not buy Chinese personally.  Too many other good scopes on the market.

Some of their models are made in Japan(at least the more expensive telescopes are), but as I already said I will not risk it. I'm still thinking of getting the Meopta but I noticed another brand called Kaps, German, and their scopes look really neat too. As much as I heard they're pretty good too, optically better than Meopta's Meostar scopes. I'm looking at their 2.5-10x56 illuminated scope, that costs around 1300€(approx. 1750$) in Germany(That exceeds my budget quite a bit but I managed to find some better(1100€ (1400$)) offers). I'll see but I'm still strongly leaning towards Meopta. I'll post pictures as soon as I get my stuffSmile
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FegelVuzela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2011 at 15:01
Great news - I found someone from around here, who owns a Vixen 2.5-10x56 IR scope. What is more, he also happens to work in a smaller shop with equipment for hunters - they also sell riflescopes. I asked him about the scope, and se said he is very happy with his purchase, he also said that for his eye the Vixen has a bit sharper picture than the Meopta Meostar 3-12x56. He also said that they(the guys at the shop) are working on a translation of an article, posted in a German magazine, where Vixen was compared to numerous high-end optics(Swarovski, Zeiss, S&B) and supposedly Vixen came really close.

This is what I wanted - feedback from a user. I'll ask him a bit more about the scope and decide upon his verdict.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2011 at 18:28
Those Meopta Meostars are pretty darn sharp themselves.  It sounds like you should be able to do a side-by-side comparison.  Let us know how it turns out!
-Matt
jjyoung View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jjyoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2011 at 19:33
I am also interested in your findings.  Please post the results when you get them. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic