OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Seeking scope advice

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cruft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2011 at 17:05
Vermin,  that 7x57 going to kick like a mule in the Ruger.  You need alot of eye relief or you'll look like a racoon.  You need a heavy german #4 reticle with illumination.  Get the Burris Eurodiamond 1.5-6x40 here on close out for $499.  I've had mine for 5 years with no illumination failure.  And this gentlemen is the last thing I have to say.Bow
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2011 at 17:58
 Well let's see.  I've got my 2-7x32 Viper on a 9.3x62 Mauser shooting 270 and 286gr bullets.  Pyro has his on a .375 H&H shooting at least 260gr bullets.  No new dents in my forhead last time I looked.  Pyro hasn't mentioned any.  And the one buck this yr that offered me a split second shot before disappearing,didn't.  Quick target aquisition FOR ME was one of the main criteria that would determine if I would keep this scope.  I'm keeping it.
  A 7x57 kicks?!?! 
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2011 at 18:38
That 7x57 shouldn't kick like a mule in any gun.  That is a pleasant shooting cartridge.  Don't discount the Viper too early, check it out on your own.  I like that Burris as well.
-Matt
Vermin93 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vermin93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2011 at 18:40
One of the reasons I got this rifle in 7x57 is because I read that it has a milder recoil than the 270 Win, 30-06, and 300 RCM, which are the other calibers that this rifle is currently being chambered for.  I was told that the recoil and performance of the 7x57 is similar to that of a 7mm-08.  I was also told that it's a fun caliber to handload, which is something that I'm just getting started in.

I could have justified the non-illuminated 1.5 - 6 Burris for $299, but those are gone.  I have a hard time justifying the illuminated Burris for $499 over the 2-7 Viper for $170.  I've never used a scope with illumination, so I don't know if I'm missing anything or not.  What really needs to happen is that the 2-7 Vipers need to finally sell out so that I can consider other options without feeling like I'm paying too much for what I really need.  The deal on the 2-7 Viper seems so good they just make everything else look unnecessarily expensive for my needs at the present time.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2011 at 18:49
Vermin,

I see you have a Viper 2-7X32 already.  How do you like it?
-Matt
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2011 at 19:09
  Vermin you've done your homework well in choosing that chambering for that rifle.  I wish I could help with scope selection but I've never owned or scoped a #1 so......................   
I will suggest that if you like the Viper you have and it will fit the #1,maybe go with it and get a scope for your mz rifle.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2011 at 19:11
Originally posted by Vermin93 Vermin93 wrote:

One of the reasons I got this rifle in 7x57 is because I read that it has a milder recoil than the 270 Win, 30-06, and 300 RCM, which are the other calibers that this rifle is currently being chambered for.  I was told that the recoil and performance of the 7x57 is similar to that of a 7mm-08.  I was also told that it's a fun caliber to handload, which is something that I'm just getting started in.

I could have justified the non-illuminated 1.5 - 6 Burris for $299, but those are gone.  I have a hard time justifying the illuminated Burris for $499 over the 2-7 Viper for $170.  I've never used a scope with illumination, so I don't know if I'm missing anything or not.  What really needs to happen is that the 2-7 Vipers need to finally sell out so that I can consider other options without feeling like I'm paying too much for what I really need.  The deal on the 2-7 Viper seems so good they just make everything else look unnecessarily expensive for my needs at the present time.

it sounds to me like you have done your homework in all aspects.
i put my viper on my .375H&H and have found it to perform wonderfully. eye relief is great on all powers and its held up to the recoil, and the glass isnt to shabby.

Edited by pyro6999 - January/21/2011 at 19:14
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2011 at 19:22
Originally posted by cruft cruft wrote:

Vermin,  that 7x57 going to kick like a mule in the Ruger.  You need alot of eye relief or you'll look like a racoon.  You need a heavy german #4 reticle with illumination.  Get the Burris Eurodiamond 1.5-6x40 here on close out for $499.  I've had mine for 5 years with no illumination failure.  And this gentlemen is the last thing I have to say.Bow

Excellent

good because pretty much everything you said above is wrong, or purely opinion with little to prove otherwise.

Edited by pyro6999 - January/21/2011 at 19:24
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Vermin93 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vermin93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2011 at 20:58
Originally posted by Bitterroot Bulls Bitterroot Bulls wrote:

Vermin,

I see you have a Viper 2-7X32 already.  How do you like it?

I like it but I have used it very little.  I've only used it at a 100yd range on a couple of sunny days.  I like to try new things, which is why I was inquiring about other good variable scopes in a lower magnification range.  What I've come to find out is that some of the ones that I've seen suggested are no longer available anymore. 

I'm going to take the Viper off of my MZ and try it on the Ruger when I receive it in a week or so.  If it fits good then I might get another Viper.  In the meantime I'll be watching to see if another 1.5-6 Burris ED shows up somewhere for $299. 

This scope caught my attention but it looks like it would be impossible to mount because of the odd tube spacing:

http://www.samplelist.com/Burris-15-6x28-Signature-Select-Rifle-Scope-DEMO-B-P1854.aspx
Vermin93 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vermin93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2011 at 21:08
Does anyone have any experience with the Weaver Classic V series?  This one has really good reviews elsewhere and it's a few ounces lighter than the 2-7 Viper.

http://swfa.com/Weaver-25-7x32-Classic-V-Rifle-Scope-P3050.aspx
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2011 at 06:36
  They are a decent scope that would serve a hunter well but they're not in the same class as the Viper IMO.
bberg7794 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bberg7794 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2011 at 10:05
Definitely try the Viper to see if you can make it work on your rifle before buying anything.

John Barsness wrote an article in RifleShooter magazine a few years ago on the challenges of scoping the Ruger No. 1. With the Ruger No. 1 and Ruger standard or low rings, the scope has to sit quite far forward if the scope has an objective bell, because the bell will want to contact the half-rib before you can get the scope back close enough to your eye to see the full field of view. Ruger makes offset rings to compensate for this, but this mounts the scope higher and adds weight, neither of which I would want with your rifle. Look for a long eye relief scope with a straight tube.

As far as low light performance with a straight tube scope, it may or may not be enough for your hunting. I am in a similar quandary wishing to have a light and small scope with good low light performance. I have tried the VXIII 2.5-8x36 and did not like the low light performance and now a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40, which has plenty of low light performance but is large and heavy.

Great job on choosing the 7mm mauser for your no. 1. I am confident you will love this caliber in the little International.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic