OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Leapers scope defective?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghillie Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leapers scope defective?
    Posted: January/18/2011 at 04:27
Hi, i'm new here, and figured this forum would be my best bet for answers.

I got a Leapers 5th generation 3-9x40mm scope. I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to scopes, as i've mostly used iron sights. But correct me if i'm wrong, but there seems to be something wrong with my Leapers scope, when i turn the turrets as indicated on the dials (the up arrow points counterclockwise) my reticle actually moves down, the opposite way? Same thing with my windage dial, it indicates for right windage to turn counterclockwise, yet when i turn counterclockwise it actually moves left. Is this normal? Does anyone else own a Leapers and had this issue? and why would they have an arrow pointing to a direction, when in fact it turns the opposite way? It was very confusing at first and i wasted ammo unnecessarily.

Any info or advice would be great,
Thanks.

300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2011 at 07:36
  WELCOME to OT.

The direction arrows your talking about are in reference to movement of bullet impact not reticle movement.  Ex. if your hitting your target left of where you want to hit you'd turn the windage turret in the "R" direction to move the bullet impact to the right.

Edited by 300S&W - January/18/2011 at 07:37
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
Ghillie Man View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghillie Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2011 at 08:59
Yes, however when i turn the turret to the arrow right to correct the bullet impact if it's too far left, the impact will go even further left. Basically what i'm saying is what ever the direction the arrows are pointing on my turrets, the impact goes the opposite. I swear these turret dials are backwards. After all it is a cheap Chinese made scope. Whacko

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2011 at 09:02
Originally posted by Ghillie Man Ghillie Man wrote:

Yes, however when i turn the turret to the arrow right to correct the bullet impact if it's too far left, the impact will go even further left. Basically what i'm saying is what ever the direction the arrows are pointing on my turrets, the impact goes the opposite. I swear these turret dials are backwards. After all it is a cheap Chinese made scope. Whacko

I just figured out your problem.............  Unfortunately your best beat is to get another scope and use that scope to shoot the leapers scope, it fun and interesting.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghillie Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2011 at 09:56
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

I just figured out your problem.............  Unfortunately your best beat is to get another scope and use that scope to shoot the leapers scope, it fun and interesting.

Ya it's just a temporary one. Cant afford good glass right now. after all ive spent about $800 on this custom 10/22 so far!

but back to the scope, i just wanted to know if anyone has one on here and can tell me if there's does the same. I'm wondering if it was a bad batch of scopes that have the dial arrows lazered on the wrong way, or if i'm reading it wrong...
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2011 at 10:08
I have used a scope that did the same thing (Tasco Silver Antler), my advice is:

1.  Zero, knowing the turrets are backwards.  Get rounds on target at a designated distance and never again touch the turrets (unless/until the scope loses zero.)
2.  NEVER adjust the power ring.  I will all but guarantee that your point of impact changes when you power changes.

Use the Leapers till you can afford better, then use the Leapers to demonstrate to other new shooters what one does NOT want in an optic.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2011 at 10:23
Welcome to OT, Ghillie Man!

Many of the best lessons we learn involve wasting money on something that's ill suited for its intended purpose, and really cheap scopes usually fall squarely in that category.  Yes, you can often "get by" with a super cheap scope for some uses.  But in order for a scope to sell at a cheap retail price, a manufacturer has to take shortcuts and make serious optical and mechanical concessions in order to still make a profit at the low retail price.

Please don't take this the wrong way, as I'm honestly not trying to be a smartass, but the "defective" part of your scope is simply the fact it's a Leapers.  Leapers = defective. 
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghillie Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2011 at 10:28
What would you suggest for around $300?

I would like a mil dot reticle (illuminated preferably)
tactical style turrets
and a sun shade?

Most of the scopes ive seen for around that price work nice, but look terrible cosmetically.
I'm going for the tactical style look, as that would match the look of my rifle right now.

300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2011 at 10:29
  SORRY for this misinformation,G Man.  I thought you were watching reticle movement as you were turning the turrets.

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2011 at 10:31
Are you looking for fixed or variable?
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghillie Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2011 at 10:31
http://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m632/EASTSIDE604/2ajyjk8.jpg
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghillie Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2011 at 10:37
Originally posted by 300S&W 300S&W wrote:

SORRY for this misinformation,G Man.  I thought you were watching reticle movement as you were turning the turrets.

I was, and when looking through at a fixed point on my wall, and when turning the turrets in the direction they indicated, it was actually moving the reticle the opposite way of the arrows. has to be faulty.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghillie Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2011 at 10:38
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

Are you looking for fixed or variable?

definitely variable.
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2011 at 10:40
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2011 at 10:47

... when looking through at a fixed point on my wall, and when turning the turrets in the direction they indicated, it was actually moving the reticle the opposite way of the arrows. has to be faulty.

If the RETICLE is moving the opposite direction of the ARROWS indicated on the turrets, it is working correctly.  As was stated earlier, please understand that the direction arrows on the turret indicate the point of impact correction, not the direction of reticle travel.  In order to shift the bullet's point of impact relative to the target, the reticle has to move in the opposite direction to correct.  In other words, when you fire a group on target, and the POI of the group deviates in any direction from where you want it, you have to move the center of the reticle toward the center of the group so that your point of aim will now coincide with your rifle's point of impact at that distance.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2011 at 10:48
Doug
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghillie Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2011 at 10:56
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

... when looking through at a fixed point on my wall, and when turning the turrets in the direction they indicated, it was actually moving the reticle the opposite way of the arrows. has to be faulty.

If the RETICLE is moving the opposite direction of the ARROWS indicated on the turrets, it is working correctly.  As was stated earlier, please understand that the direction arrows on the turret indicate the point of impact correction, not the direction of reticle travel.  In order to shift the bullet's point of impact relative to the target, the reticle has to move in the opposite direction to correct.  In other words, when you fire a group on target, and the POI of the group deviates in any direction from where you want it, you have to move the center of the reticle toward the center of the group so that your point of aim will now coincide with your rifle's point of impact at that distance.

This still does not make any sense to me. If i have a rifle that hits dead bull's eye at 100 yards. and theoretically if i want to change the windage on my perfect 100 yard shot to 1 inch right of the bulls'eye, i would click right four times on the turret? (correct) yet with my scope if i were to do that it goes the opposite way, so in turn i would be putting it 1 inch left to the bulls'eye, not right, as the arrow indicates.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2011 at 11:00

Burris 4.5-14x42 Fullfield II

$349.95 $199.95

Stock # - 200181 

• Matte

• Plex

• 1"

• Adjustable Objective

300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2011 at 12:01

Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

This still does not make any sense to me. If i have a rifle that hits dead bull's eye at 100 yards. and theoretically if i want to change the windage on my perfect 100 yard shot to 1 inch right of the bulls'eye, i would click right four times on the turret? (correct) yet with my scope if i were to do that it goes the opposite way, so in turn i would be putting it 1 inch left to the bulls'eye, not right, as the arrow indicates.

What goes the opposite way when you click 4 times right,the verticle crosswire (it should move left) or your bullets impact on the target (it should move right)?
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2011 at 12:12
Think of it this way:

If you want to move the strike of the round 1 inch right at 100 yards, you add 4 clicks to the windage turret (on a 1/4MOA turret), moving the crosshairs 1 inch left.  If you haven't moved the rifle, the cross hairs should now be centered 1 inch left of the bull.  To put the cross hairs back on the bull, you move the scope and rifle 1 inch right, now your crosshairs are dead bull and your rifle is pointed 1 inch right compared to where it was before the windage change.

Don't think about where the cross hairs are when you've made the adjustment, consider where the muzzle is AFTER you have adjusted the cross hairs and re-acquired the target.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic