OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

how do you save money?!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2011 at 01:06
During the 1990's reloading in South Africa became just as pricey as factory loads. Do no know the reason, but probably all around exchange rates, export parity and excessive mark-ups by importers.
However, the pendulum has swung in favour of reloading again and I reload for at least half the price of the cheapest factory round. So now I shoot twice as much and save a lot of money!! Heck, I tell myself each time I pull the trigger "OK, just saved another $1 !!!!"

Our cheapest round for a 308Win is around $1.80 and the more expensive can go to $2.50. I can load for under $1.

Edited by 8shots - January/19/2011 at 01:09
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2011 at 06:27
I started out reloading for a somewhat rare and pricey Euro caliber and at first, I did save a bunch of money with my little Lee handloader kit.
Sure, you'll save money, but probably end up spending it on gadgetry and eventually, a bigger house just to have room for all of your stuff. Just this week I bought yet another reloading gadget which I've done without for over 30 years because it was on closeout sale for almost 1/2 price. Did I need another quasi- useful doodad? Absolutely! There's no end to it.
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2011 at 07:03
You could always play golf!!!   Probably spend just as much time in the woods....Whistling
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2011 at 10:34
Originally posted by budperm budperm wrote:

You could always play golf!!!   Probably spend just as much time in the woods....Whistling
Hey! I'll have you know I can shoot a 69. No wait... that's the front 9.

Have you been following me around?
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2011 at 10:39

As long as you don't mention its only 9 holes it sounds good dont it!

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2011 at 11:36
Theres more than nine holes????  It's always gotten dark before I got that far!!! Bucky
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2011 at 07:16

Theres more than nine holes????  It's always gotten dark before I got that far!!! Bucky
To quote Bill Clinton, "I feel your pain".  Not only can it go slow, but last time out, got a bad case of poison ivy from numerous forays into the (ahem) outer rough.

Before that, was trying to overcome a mean slice and had the bright idea that if by canting the club head to the left a bit, it would straighten out the flight. Wrong. After givin' it a mighty whack, the ball took off lookin' just great and then made a quick corkscrew to the left and went straight down and buried itself about 2 " below the surface of the soft ground. That cost me some strokes... not that 'strokes' really matter when I'm playin'.

Back on topic, spending a day on the links is a helluva way to save money on reloading supplies...
as long as you don't throw a fit and break the head off your driver by pounding it on a rock.
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2011 at 07:02
Originally posted by Alan Robertson Alan Robertson wrote:

To quote Bill Clinton, "I feel your pain".  Not only can it go slow, but last time out, got a bad case of poison ivy from numerous forays into the (ahem) outer rough.

Before that, was trying to overcome a mean slice and had the bright idea that if by canting the club head to the left a bit, it would straighten out the flight. Wrong. After givin' it a mighty whack, the ball took off lookin' just great and then made a quick corkscrew to the left and went straight down and buried itself about 2 " below the surface of the soft ground. That cost me some strokes... not that 'strokes' really matter when I'm playin'.

Back on topic, spending a day on the links is a helluva way to save money on reloading supplies...
as long as you don't throw a fit and break the head off your driver by pounding it on a rock.

A round of golf...between greeens fees and lost balls easily cost $50+...........

Thats a couple boxes of ammo at least.  In truth one of the funnest things you can shoot at while plinking are.... golf balls.  Start at 50yds and keep shooting them until their out of sight!  Fun and challenging!

Edited by budperm - February/14/2011 at 07:02
--Thomas Jefferson

Griffin99 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Griffin99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2011 at 18:52
You almost never save any real money on plinking ammo.  The real savings is on your high quality, accurate reloads built to each rifle.  No contest there.
Far Beyond Driven
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2011 at 00:25
Originally posted by Alan Robertson Alan Robertson wrote:

To quote Nick Faldo (who allways used to play in white clothes). This quote after his fellow player also came out the dressing room all dressed in white, then at some point sliced his ball into the rough, then came out the bush looking a bit dirty and roughed up. So Nick piped up: "I thought your game was not yet ready for white clothes!!!!"
Longhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2011 at 08:44
There are lots of good reasons to reload.

1.  Reloading in the USA usually saves money.  If the math doesn't work, either you aren't shooting enough to justify reloading or you may be "mathematically impaired."

2.  Your time may be worth more doing something else.  However, that doesn't change the math in favor of reloading.

3.  When you reload, you can make your own loads exactly the way you want them.  Examples:

A.  The #6 soft shot loads we use for upland bird hunting are significantly better than anything we can buy at the store.  The store loads either (A) don't pattern as well; or (B) use hard shot, which can break a tooth if you miss a pellet before cooking your quail, pheasant, etc.. 

B.  The target loads I use in my .357 aren't available in stores.  They are accurate, safe, don't lead, and will go well over 300 rounds before the gun needs a real cleaning.  (A wipe-off with WD-40 does the job until then.)  Result:  More shooting, less cleaning.

4.  You can waste a lot of time trying to find the shells you need at stores just before hunting season opens.  Sometimes you can't find them at all!  (Moral:  Whether you reload or not, stock up in advance on what you know you'll need.)

5.  Lots of reloaders were able to make it through the ammo shortage of the last several years because they already had the bulk components on hand.

6.  Reloading is fun.  It's nice to have something you can do at home that furthers your shooting and hunting pastimes.  If you enjoy it, you will wind up spending more on reloading tools.  However, it's a relatively cheap hobby, particularly when compared with golf.   (Balls, carts, greens fees and  club memberships can add up REALLY fast!  Been there, done that!)

Remember, most of us are doing this for fun and for specific results.  If you don't like reloading, then you don't have to do it.

Edited by Longhunter - February/15/2011 at 20:58
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic