OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

how do you save money?!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cbissell07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: how do you save money?!
    Posted: January/17/2011 at 20:37

after looking i still cant find out how to save any money reloading, after buying bullets about 40 cents each (30 cal). powder for a 300 wsm you need about 60g a shot and at $20 for a lb of powder its going to cost $40 in powder alone to do 20 shots. then with primers and ect. i dont see any way to reload cheaper then buying factory. maybe im just looking at the wrong products and if i am can someone point me in the direction to be able to reload a box of ammo for less then factory bought ammo i would be very thankful!

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2011 at 21:07
huh??
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2011 at 21:12
lets try the math out.

1 lb of powder $20
1 box of 100 sierra bullets (.308) 180gr $25
1 box of primers $5

1lb of powder is 7000gr, even if you load them with 70gr powder you get 100rounds per pound.
so that being said you dump $50 into 5 boxes of ammo. show me where you can buy 5 boxes of factory ammo for $50 for a 300 wsm
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Cbissell07 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cbissell07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2011 at 21:19
Okay wow, i read something wrong somewhere haha
i saw something saying there was about 550g in a pound of powder, thanks pyro
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2011 at 21:21
maybe its 550 grams not grains, i just checked, one pound is about 455 grams.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cbissell07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2011 at 21:24
Yeah thats what i got confused with, thanks for the help!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2011 at 21:31
no problem!
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2011 at 21:40
WHere you really save the money is in the brass.  Only having to buy brass every 6 to 10 loads saves you a ton.  If you don't load hot and anneal your brass every 3rd firing brass can last for a good long time. 

The part I like most about reloading is when I need some ammo, I just go downstairs and make what I need.  Bucky
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2011 at 21:43
glad we got that cleared up.  Big Smile

I reload my 300 WM for 54 cents a round right now.  Less for my 270 and 22-250.  I have yet to find a box of ammo for that cheap.  That cost would be higher if I was shooting the premium Accubonds or Barnes, but even then you save a lot of money compared to buying a factory box of ammo with them in there.

Now if you calculate the cost of the equipement the cost goes up a little, but over the course of my so far short life, I have easily paid it off and the cost is far less than buying all the ammo for the amount of shooting I do.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2011 at 01:30
Depends what you're loading. You could, for example hit Wideners for bulk bullets or pick up blems from a variety of reloading supply places online, use cheap brass and buy primers and powder in bulk. But if you're loading for accuracy, it gets harder to save money. In fact, loading 165 gr. Accubonds for my .308s if I factor in all the reloading equipment I have (and it's not excessive), the components and my time, I load for almost the same as if I just went and bought boxes of Federal Premium (which is no longer an option anyway since they discontinued that load).
Reaction time is a factor...
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cbissell07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2011 at 06:55

helo if you dont mind sharing the load thats 54 cents a shot i would be thankfull

lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2011 at 07:10

Very hard to put a price on the satisfaction and enjoyment you get from taking game with your personal hand rolled ammo.  What's even better, is when a buddy or family member is successful using ammo you hand loaded for them.

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2011 at 07:26

+10!!!!!!!!
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2011 at 09:37
Right now, Wideners, for instance, has a sale on .308 145 gr. FMJ boat tails. Buy 2000 and you'll pay 13.3 cents. I recently paid 46 cents apiece for .308 165 gr. Accubonds, in comparison. However, another thing to think about is how much do you want/need to shoot a particular round? Last year I handloaded 400 rounds of .308 and 99 are still sitting around. I develop my handloads for hunting and take coldbore shots every 5-10 minutes at the range, interspersed with 10-30 rounds of .22 LR. So I'll go to the range for 2 hours and fire 12-20 rounds of high-power and 200+ rounds of rimfire.

For you handgun loaders out there, I imagine loading is much cheaper - less powder, less wear and tear on the brass (but what do I know?). I could see bullets being the main cost there.
Reaction time is a factor...
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2011 at 09:38
you can buy pistol brass for next to nothing
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Midwest_Hunter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Midwest_Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2011 at 10:18
I just put my money in the bank when I want to save it Cool
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2011 at 10:39
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

you can buy pistol brass for next to nothing

And it seems like that stuff never wears out. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Johnny View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2011 at 14:09
We don't have money in the bank, but I have reloading supplies! Try shooting that money in the bank and see how much fun that is. In almost 50 years of big game hunting, I have never taken any game with a factory load. Has my equipment payed for it's self? In my mind yes, but if you don't want to reload, don't do it.
Big GrinExcellent
Excellent
Black Bear Road
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2011 at 16:44

The evil truth is that you don't save any more money, but you do get to shoot more for the same amount.Dirty Harry

338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2011 at 19:56
Originally posted by Johnny Johnny wrote:

We don't have money in the bank, but I have reloading supplies! Try shooting that money in the bank and see how much fun that is. In almost 50 years of big game hunting, I have never taken any game with a factory load. Has my equipment payed for it's self? In my mind yes, but if you don't want to reload, don't do it.
Big GrinExcellent
Excellent

I can see a future very similar to this...

I have done it for many reasons some include just time to myself and the peace and quiet and sense of accomplishment and accuracy from knowing I DID THAT...

NO EXCUSES ONCE YOU LOAD YOUR OWN IT IS ONLY YOUR FAULT AT THAT POINT...

Loading to me is done at 1/5-1/10 on certain calibers with better accuracy and outcomes.

Case in point a .338 Lapua Magnum Loaded by Custom Shop Solid or Specialty Purpose Ammo AP  by Lapua is around 11.50-13.50 per round.  A standard 250 scenar or lockbase is around 4.50-4.80 per round. 

Loaded at 100 grains so 70 shots per pound  at $30 per pound $.43 per round for powder brass say $.25 per round  Bullets for .860-.880 BC 245-265gr around .60-.75  per round or bullets for 250gr .40-.45 per round.

It is very much a savings.

.308 or .223 can be done for as little as 1/20th to 1/30th

Edited by 338LAPUASLAP - January/18/2011 at 20:06
No one
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic