OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Had a scope ring snap off at the base

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimFromTN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Had a scope ring snap off at the base
    Posted: January/16/2011 at 21:14
Has anyone had this happen to them?  I was shooting my 300 win mag today and the rear ring snapped off at the base and the scope slid forward in the forward ring about 3 inches.  The rifle is a rem 700 lss and the rings and bases were leupold.  The scope is a Nikon Monarch Gold 2.5-10x56.  What is the likelyhood it damaged the scope?  There is some cosmetic damage in that the paint on the scope is scratched off to some degree where it slid thru the forward ring.  In addition to having to buy new rings,  I was thinking about trading it to SWFA on another scope but seeing as some of the paint is scratched off, I don't know what I could get for it.   I guess I am stuck with it now.

What kind of rings/bases should I get that are less likely to have this happen?  The OBJ is 56 mm (which is one reason I was thinking of trading it in) so I think I would need extra high rings.

Edited by JimFromTN - January/16/2011 at 21:16
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2011 at 21:22
Normally Leupold bases/rings should be fine; were you using the standard bases with the rear windage adjustments? If so that maybe the reason and I'd probably move away from those to Leupold dual dovetails or another manufacturer like Talley's, etc.

I'll let others address your other questions.
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2011 at 21:25
Those windage bases suck plain and simple. What mike said on Talley's either the Light Weights or their standard two pc is the way to go.
Johnny View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2011 at 21:54
Was the front ring tight?? I wonder if the front ring wasn't holding anything and the back ring was doing all of the work and that's what broke the back ring.Smile
Black Bear Road
JimFromTN View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimFromTN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2011 at 21:57
They were the luepold standard two piece base.

As far as the tightness of the front ring, I could not move the scope in it and it was tight enough to rub off a good bit of paint on the scope.
feklar View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote feklar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2011 at 00:06
Can you post a pic of it? I've like to see it, because I've never heard of it.

lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2011 at 07:43
All "windage"  type bases are more prone to failure, though I have been using this type of setup for years without any problems. 
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2011 at 08:38
Pictures please!
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

JimFromTN View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimFromTN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2011 at 08:45
Unfortunately, I do not have a camera.  I will try and borrow one from someone tonight and get some posted.
I posted this on another forum that I use and there were several members who had this exact same issue with these scope rings.  I'll never buy another set of leupold rings again.

Edited by JimFromTN - January/17/2011 at 08:47
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2011 at 09:31
I guess if I were to mount a 56mm scope, I'd want it mounted with Talley's or something very simular.  The combination of the 56mm scope and recoil of a 300mag is alot to ask of standard rings and bases. 
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
JimFromTN View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimFromTN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2011 at 10:28
I am looking at the talley fixed rings.  The lightweight rings don't come in extra high.  Do the fixed rings only work with their 2 piece base or do they work with any picatinny rail?
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2011 at 13:28
Originally posted by JimFromTN JimFromTN wrote:

I am looking at the talley fixed rings.  The lightweight rings don't come in extra high.  Do the fixed rings only work with their 2 piece base or do they work with any picatinny rail?

With Talley's (rings/bases) you may not need "extra high" rings since their bases sit higher than most manufacturers. I'm currently using mediums with my scope with 50mm front bell and I still have plenty of clearance (to use scope caps when needed).

Edited by mike650 - January/17/2011 at 14:51
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2011 at 13:34
Originally posted by JimFromTN JimFromTN wrote:

Talley's fixed rings only work with their bases (and the soon to be available Williams-Machine Works bases).
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2011 at 13:47
ive got standards on my .300wby, all good so far
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Johnny View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2011 at 14:31
How much does this scope weigh?? Was there any gap between the top half and bottom half of the  scope rings?? I'm not arguing with you, I'm curious. Is there any chance that the ring could be slightly over sized??
Marks on the scope from sliding could mean that the rings were some what tight or the rings were slightly over sized making the back ring holding most the recoil?? I don't really know as I've never had this problem. That doesn't mean that this system fail proof, but this mounting system has been is use for 50 years, perhaps. Just because I haven't heard about this happening doesn't mean it has not been a problem!
We do know that the back ring failed and the scope slid through the front ring. This isn't good.Shocked
Black Bear Road
Shenko View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shenko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2011 at 15:26
You could try Burris Signature Zee's or DD's.
I helped a guy put a Burris PEPR on an AR. Obviously, that would not work for you, but the XTR rings look like they're built the same. They sure look like they'd work.

JimFromTN View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimFromTN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2011 at 08:33
I figured out what happenned.  I have pictures but no close ups to show what actually happenned, unfortunately.  There are indentions on the stem of the ring that are used to hold the ring in place by the windage screws on the base.  The material around the indentions gave away, allowing it to slip free from the base.  I could probably make them work again with the use of a dremmel to dig out the cavities on either side of the ring stem but I decided to order some talley fixed rings instead.  I have officially learned my lesson on the use of cheap rings and bases.
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2011 at 09:16
never seen that happen ...  perhaps over torqued the windage screws? ... 

Edited by martin3175 - January/18/2011 at 09:16
JimFromTN View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimFromTN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2011 at 09:56
I'm thinking maybe the opposite.  Perhaps the windage screws started to come loose and it did not have as much to bite into and it slipped or maybe it was not set perfectly between the screws.  I had a gunsmith blueprint the action and pillar bed the stock about 6 months ago.   I know he took the scope off to do it.  He may have not put it back on properly.  He is a reputable guy and it not worth pursuing.  If it was something he did then it was my fault for not double checking.  More lessons learned.  I had put probably 50 rds down the barrel since then before it happenned.  It happenned when I went from a lighter 150 gr load to a heavier 180 gr load.  On an interesting note, I can tell that the rings had not been lapped because the paint that was rubbed off was only in spots.  I would think that if the rings were properly lapped, it would be rubbed off all the way around the tube.  Talley rings don't need to be lapped, do they?  I think I have heard that somewhere.

Edited by JimFromTN - January/18/2011 at 10:00
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2011 at 10:04
The windage-adjustable rings are very (VERY) prone to failure.  I recommend you throw the bases and rings in the trash and never again buy drift-adjustable mounts.

If, from this, you learn your lesson, it will be well worth it for you.  I've known hunters who had to end expensive hunts because their rings went tango uniform at the worst possible time.  A slippage on the range sucks, but a slippage while stalking a really nice 7x7 elk: that'll ruin your year.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic