OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Recommendation needed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CornFedHusker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Recommendation needed
    Posted: January/16/2011 at 09:23
Looking to scope a roughly 8.5lb custom hunting rifle in 7mmWSM.  Loads will be with 150TTSX.

Shots typically 250 yards or less, but potentially out to 500 or so.  95% use will be from elevated box blinds or trucks for deer and yotes, but it will be taken out west for elk and goats as well.

I prefer 44mm obj or less due to mounting height issues.  (Been there, done that with 50mm objectives) Barrel profile will be #4 - roughly Remington magnum contour.  I plan to use Talley LWs for mounts.

I prefer a ballistic reticle over turrets, but I have concerns about parallax at ranges where the reticle would be necessary.  I range/observe with 8x Leica Geovids.

1" tube is preferrable due to weight/compactness, but I have run 30mm in the past and would not be afraid to again.

Budget can go up to $1600 or so, but I would like to stay at $1000 or less.  The difference in price to useful quality pays for a lot of reloading supplies.

Thoughts?
CornFedHusker View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CornFedHusker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2011 at 11:17
Forgot to add -

I realize this basically puts me in the Conquest, z3, z5 lineup with the S&B Summit being an outlier (no ballistic reticle) at the top of my range.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2011 at 11:28
I've set up similar guns, and my favorite setup (which I, stupidly, sold) was a Conquest 4-14x44 which I sent in to Zeiss for an after-market elevation turret upgrade, from capped to target - with windage remaining a capped hunting turret.

It is very nice to have a turret or the reticle for shot doping.

Be advised:  neither target turret dope or reticle ballistic dope is accurate till proven so at the necessary known ranges and with the ammo that will be used in hunting.  NEVER assume that, since Zeiss says a 7mmWSm round will drop X, that it will actually drop X.  I have yet to see a ballistic reticle that perfectly aligned with what the manufacturer said it would.

There are many other options (Swaro 1" optics are among the lightest weight and best image quality I have used in hunting scopes - but lack target turrets) but few - in this price range - beat Conquest with Z800 and target turret.

that gun kicks, get something with a least 3.5 of eye relief.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2011 at 11:36
Would have to agree Swaro Hab AV or PH series is very nice lacking TT... sample list from time to time...

http://www.samplelist.com/Riflescopes-C4.aspx#Swarovski

Edited by 338LAPUASLAP - January/16/2011 at 11:44
No one
CornFedHusker View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CornFedHusker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2011 at 11:41
Any thoughts on the necessity of parallax adjustment with a ballistic reticle?  In a hunting application/setting, is it even possible to use a scope with fixed parallax and ballistic reticle on shots out the 400 or more?
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2011 at 11:46
TDX reticle or BRX

http://www.swarovskioptik.us/en_us/products/reticle-overview

Edited by 338LAPUASLAP - January/16/2011 at 11:52
No one
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2011 at 12:17
Scopes with less magnification than 10X usually lack parallax adjustment.

There is usually very little reason to take a 500+ yard shot on game.  If you do, I doubt a miss would be due to a lack of  parallax adjustment.

Can one take a 400 yard shot using a ballistic reticle in a scope with no parallax adjustment: yes.

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic