OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Black speck in SS?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Black speck in SS?
    Posted: January/14/2011 at 22:06
Hi Guys I've been a lurker for a little while now and decided to buy a SS 10x42.  Well I got the scope today and I don't know how to say this exactly, except I'm both really pleased and somewhat disappointed with it all at the same time.

At about the 7 or 8 o'clock position there is a small black speck somewhere inside the scope, I thought at first it was just on an outside lens, but apparently its inside on a lens?  Its about half the size of one of the mildots to give you an idea of the size, but easily apparent when looking through the scope at a light colored background. 
So my question is this, should I mount this scope and just live with the little speck? I'm afraid that if I mount it and start shooting, that more of these may appear? (maybe not immediately but within a couple yrs of use)  My plan was to mount this on a Remington 700 in .221 fireball so recoil isn't going to be very abusive, but the last thing I want is a hundred of these little things stuck all over inside.
On a positive note the adjustments are very nice audible clicks.(much better than my bushnell 10x40)
and the glass is also very nice and clear, and think it would be hard to beat the optical clarity without spending at least twice as much money. (this is the non hd model btw)

I'm an engineering student currently and don't have all kinds of money to throw around on expensive optics and this seemed like it would be a good sound investment.  I also don't want to spend a small fortune sending scopes back for repair work if this is going to be an issue.  So what's your guys thoughts about this? Mount it and hope that nothing more appears and just live with the black speck already present? Or should I send it back to Tasco? or Bushnell? or Who?

Thanks in advance.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2011 at 05:53
send it back and they will replace it.  Givem a call.
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2011 at 06:55
+1. 
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2011 at 07:25
Rule #6.  The Optics Talk forum is not to be used as a customer service tool for SWFA customers.  Tracking numbers, Order Status, Credit Card issues, etc. need to be directed to our Customer Service Professionals at 972-617-7056 from 8 a.m -5 p.m CDT or via e-mail at swfa@swfa.com.

If I bought something and it wasnt right I would start by calling the people I bought it from and give them a chance to make it right.  Its probably some piece of dust or something similar that just landed there when it was being made.  They are not ususaly that way so ask for it to be replaced or repaired.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2011 at 08:16
I have had even very "high dollar" scopes present a "black speck" on the glass.  While not a common occurrence, it does happen.  Generally, it will just fall off, never to reappear.  Unless it is a continuing condition... happens again and again... it is not an issue to me.  I guess I'm more forgiving than most, but I've only sent one back because of it... Leupold.  
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
shockey View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2011 at 11:59
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

Rule #6.  The Optics Talk forum is not to be used as a customer service tool for SWFA customers.  Tracking numbers, Order Status, Credit Card issues, etc. need to be directed to our Customer Service Professionals at 972-617-7056 from 8 a.m -5 p.m CDT or via e-mail at swfa@swfa.com.

If I bought something and it wasnt right I would start by calling the people I bought it from and give them a chance to make it right.  Its probably some piece of dust or something similar that just landed there when it was being made.  They are not ususaly that way so ask for it to be replaced or repaired.

I'm not trying to use this for customer service.  I searched like crazy about this, only to come up empty handed. I couldn't find any posts about this.  However after I posted this, I literally spent all night searching the net about this,(until 3am) and it seems rare but I guess this happens to these scopes from time to time.  I guess I'm going to call SWFA on Monday. (I honestly didn't know it was Taboo to ask questions relating to things like this. sorry)

shockey View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2011 at 12:23
Also I just wanted to add another tidbit(is their anyway to edit a post here?)

Maybe I came off the wrong way.  I wasn't trying to complain or sling mud if that's what your thinking. Only this forum seemed to have more posts about the SS line of optics than any other so I thought I would ask where I had the best odds of getting an honest answer about my question.  I'm not a wet behind the ears college punk with nothing better to do. I'm a military veteran and have been around optics for quite some time, and it seems to be built very well other than the before mentioned "thing"

Thanks for the replies though guys.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2011 at 12:37
Bang it on something with quite a bit of force.  Usually that is just a flake on the anodizing on the inside of the scope.  Many times, a good tap on something will get it to remove. 

Wrap it in a towel and smack it on the back of a chair or something. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
shockey View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2011 at 12:46
Are you serious?  I absolutely don't want to beak it or do something dumb.  As an engineering student I'm doubting that the engineers that designed this scope tested it by banging it with quite a bit of force.  While it may take quite a beating mounted on a rifle that's completely different than using it like a hammer.

billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2011 at 12:48
Thanks for your service. And welcome to the O.T.. The edit feature kicks in after 50 posts. A lot of times the spots take care of themselves (I have not experienced them in mine). The customer service from SWFA really is top notch, if given the opportunity to work. I.E. you contact them. I am not trying to talk down or insult you, but most of these posts end in people really hashing on the S.S. or our sponsor, SWFA. If the spot bothers you, contact SWFA. If not, mount the scope and enjoy. Most the time the spot will move or even fall off never to be seen again.
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2011 at 12:56

Micro particles are present inside almost all scopes but you never see them in most because they do not collect at one of the focal points.  Scopes that use etched glass reticles (SS) show them more often because the reticle forms a collecting point inside the scope at one of the few focal points.

Our inspection process is thorough and no scopes leave the factory with visible internal debris.  What happens is the debris dislodges during transportation or after some recoil of the rifle and occasionally it finds its way to the reticle and sticks to it.

We will gladly replace it for you and pay to have the one you have sent back to us via a call tag.  Please contact our customer service at cs@swfa.com.

For those of you with scopes that no longer have a warranty you can make it go away by hitting it on something like a phone book or the bottom of your shoe.  It might stay gone forever or it might come right back but typically it is statically attracted to something else in the scope and stays gone.
Beaudean View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beaudean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2011 at 18:19
I had a Burris Sig before that had a black speck, about the size of a mil-dot, you could only see from the objective end.
dsr View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dsr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2011 at 16:03
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

Bang it on something with quite a bit of force.  Usually that is just a flake on the anodizing on the inside of the scope.  Many times, a good tap on something will get it to remove. 

Wrap it in a towel and smack it on the back of a chair or something. 

Originally posted by shockey shockey wrote:

Are you serious?  I absolutely don't want to beak it or do something dumb.  As an engineering student I'm doubting that the engineers that designed this scope tested it by banging it with quite a bit of force.  While it may take quite a beating mounted on a rifle that's completely different than using it like a hammer.

Shockey,

The following link is somewhat long, about three quarters of the way through it shows the Zeiss repair center testing scopes for problems the same way Supertool recommends, it will give you an idea about how hard to tap the scope to try to remove the speck.  I will be trying it on one of my scopes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygtBaJ3n7u8

Title:  Fieldsports Britain, episode 47, 20th October 2010  

Good Luck,

dsr

shockey View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2011 at 18:03
I seemed to have missed the part where they smack the scope in the fashion mentioned above.  I did see where they tested the "shock" on the scope, but this was with a mallet, and dropping it from a short distance, directly on the front/rear of scope.

It seems to me that if these particles are statically charged then one could probably use a magnet to create a magnetic field of the opposite polarization and thus draw the particle away from its current location.  I don't know if this would work as intended or if the negative/positive balance would cause any other particle(s) to move around.

Very interesting vid though, thanks for sharing.
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2011 at 15:46
I think it's time to do the Bigdaddy test on this scope,what say ye all Big Grin
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2011 at 16:14
Those scopes will take a good hit. I have had that happen in my XTR and a hit took care of it. I have also had two scopes rolled on by horses with no issues (one slid down a rock slab before rearing up and then falling sideways on it). A quality scope like the SS will handle anything you throw at it.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2011 at 16:52
I had specs like that in an IOR.  I did exactly as I said and it took them right off the glass.  They never came back.  I am not talking about smacking it so hard that it will dent it, but a good smack will move that stuff around. 

Course at this point, there is no issue as Chris said he will exchange it.  That is the route I would go.

Edited by supertool73 - January/17/2011 at 16:53
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
dsr View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dsr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2011 at 21:30

Shockey,

Yes, that is the part I mentioned in my previous post.  What I was trying to point out is hitting it somewhere between using a “Q-tip” to mounting the scope to the end of a sledge hammer and trying to ring the bell at the county fair. (r dr)Big Grin

Regards,

dsr

neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2011 at 22:17
Chris is going to smack it, and I'm going to snag it off the sample list. Merry Christmas
If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2011 at 10:14
I've had $2,000+ US Optics scopes that had the same issue, smack it on something, that usually solves the problem.

In the end, it's not really that big a deal, the specks might bother you at the range, but they don't really take anyway from your field of view.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic