OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

15X60Oberwerk13X56Minox715X35 Nikon

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Blind as a bat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Coyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 15X60Oberwerk13X56Minox715X35 Nikon
    Posted: January/14/2011 at 18:26
Today, 1/12/11, the Oberwerk 15X60 arrived. Right away I got out the 13X56 Minox to give a side by side comparison. While I was at it I grabbed the 7-15X35 Nikon. The 7-15X35 Nikons are so nice I could be a salesman for them.

As soon as they were laid out on the sandbags on the ledge of the porch I took two line charts out to the pump house 127 yards away. It has “THIS SIDE DOWN” in black letters printed on the large chip chipboard. The top line chart is the one Mule Deer posted awhile back over on 24hourcampfire. The other is what I made to compare the Z5 Swarovski 5-25X52 with the 6500 Bushnell 4 ½-30X50 and the 12-42 NightForce last month. (Next week the new Swarovski will be here. I hope it is better than the previous one.) Mule Deer’s chart has lines, starting at the top, that are 1” wide with a 1” space down to 1/16” at the bottom (see photo below). The other chart has lines that were supposed to be 5/16” with 5/16” spaces, but since I am not too cleaver with the ‘puter, they came out at .275”. But it will works.

Before I even got away from the house my son-in-law said, “The Minox is defiantly better.” I didn’t want to hear that. He was hand holding them, so I figured I would get better results off the sandbags. Since I am the man buying or not, I am the one to be impressed. So here goes.

The Minox is noticeably easier to focus because its depth of field is so long. I did have to turn past and back a couple times to get the best “picture” of the line charts. I saw mosquitoes flying.  Finally I figured out the mosquitoes were over the garden which is only about half way to the pump house. But the mosquitoes were still obvious once I had the line chart dialed to see all the lines.  Did I say the Minox has a great depth of field?  The Minox shows sharp, crisp edges to the all lines. I can’t express this enough how clear they were.

The mosquitoes were not visible with the Oberwerk. With lots of fiddlin’ though, I was able to see all the lines with the Oberwerk. It almost blurred the bottom two lines, though. I’m sure if it was not 15X I couldn’t have distinguished the last two lines with it. I have proven a few times what just 1X more can do for me.

Next I gave the Nikons a chance. On 13X they were not as nice as the Minox, but on 15X I could
see all the lines just about as well as I could with the Minox. What a value! Just 2X made that much difference.

The field of view in the Minox is about 5-6% larger than the Oberwerk.  The Nikon on 7X has the same field of view as the Minox.  When I put the Nikon on 15X I noticed the field of view shrank to about 60% of the Minox.

The sun was already gone when I finished the comparisons so I decided to see when I could no longer read the words. The Oberwerk, despite being 60mm died out at 4:46 PM. Next the Nikon with its 35mm on 15X went out at 4:48 and the Minox at 4:49. For a chance to let the Bushnell look good or not, I wouldn’t post if it didn’t look good, you know that, I literally ran and got the Klienguenther, laid it down turned the magnification to 13X to match the Minox and read the words. I waited one minute and checked again. Still could. Tried again. Still could. Finally at 4:53PM I could no longer read without groping for individual letters to make up the words. This shows just how good a 50mm rifle scope can be. A little ramblin’ here: The Swarovski I had last month is definitely better than the Bushnell in low light.

For $110 the Oberwerk is absolutely worth the money. If I already had the Oberwerk I would not have purchased the Minox. The Oberwerk is going back and the Minox is for sale @ $600.  I mean who needs the Minox when the Nikons are so good?

I love playing with optics.

Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2011 at 10:55
I suppose the Nikon could be put to good use at the rifle range...as the target.
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic