OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope for 300 wsm

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope for 300 wsm
    Posted: December/10/2005 at 14:02
As with a lot of folks new to the forum:
1- I have a question upon which I would like input...new scope for a 300 wsm
2-I have spent some time reading the various takes to get a flavor of opinions vs. topic personality (apparent personal choice).

I don't hunt much anymore, usually once or twice a year on invited hunts either in South Texas or West Texas (near).  I've shot a 22-250 with an old Bushnell 3x9 that a friend turned me onto 25 years ago with the caveat that I would now be making neck shots and not chest shots (and besides, the second best shot you can make is a clean miss).  This philosophy has held true for the Texas Whitetails I've shot.

On the hunts to South Texas in the past couple of years the guys I hunt with have decided to chase Nilgi and I even shot a small cow with the 22-250 at fairly close range.  I realized that if we were going to chase these animals I needed something with a little more huevos, thus, the 300 wsm at the suggestion of the same friend. 

He also suggested a scope, but I'm not sure that I want to run in that direction (Leo-3 3-9, tried and true).  First, I want more magnification such as the 4-14.5 which this same friend has on his 284, but, I don't want to pay the ticket.  I have read the takes on the various scopes in the <$400 range and have concluded that I won't like the eye relief on the Weaver G-S, Elite 4200 nor the Fullfield 2...the barking dog might have some teeth.  It also would appear from my reading that the Monarch 4-12 or Sightron 2 4-16 would have sufficient eye relief.  The comments I read on the Monarch relate to "tunnel-vision" and with all do respect to Mr. Koshkin....he seems to be the only Sightron preacher in town.

To even complicate matters more, reading about the forth-coming Super Sniper Variables seems intriging...but I'm not sure I want to buy "M-1,A-1" and apparently they are not going to be out for a while.  I need to stick a scope on the 300 fairly soon as I've committed to a couple of hunts that will include some fairly long shots.

Thanks for the comments in advance.

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2005 at 14:26

Sir:

Welcome aboard! I do hope that you will enjoy your stay with us and glean what you can from all our "optic geek" babble.

Firstly, in my humble opinion, the Zeiss Conquest is The best hunting scope under $1000.

I prefer the 3.5-10x44mm variety the best. Had one on a coveted Sako 75 SS .300 Win mag and it was outstanding in every and all hunting situations I encountered.

That said, the Nikon Monarch comes in just under the Conquest in regards to performance and money.

I don't care for Leupold's cloning of the Zeiss Conquest to make up it's "new and improved" VX line.  

But, they are also an option for you as well.

In regards to Koshkin/Sightrons:

Be advised!!

Mr. Koshkin and I rarely agree on much, but he is VERY optically savvy and his love of Sightrons is based on his personal testing and evaluation.

If he say's somethings good to go, you can believe it, friend.  

Sightrons are relatively new to the scene, and the reason more people don't comment on them much is because they haven't used them.

I can assure you that the good people over at Sniper's Hide (current and former LE/Military website) seem to share Koshkin's affection for them too. 

Great glass, excellent tracking and repeatablity.

I like Sightron's too, but have proven the Nikon's in my own backyard, so to speak, and choose them.

Best of luck to you. Please keep us advised of your purchase.

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2005 at 15:09
Thank You for your good words cheaptrick.

A couple of comments: I never said that Sightrons were the best scopes out there.  I do think that they offer the most for the money (although they've been steadily getting more expensive, so that might change).

Under $400 there is a host of choices and one that I've seen overlooked is Burris Signature/Pentax Lightseeker (same scope under different names).  I think those would have enough eye relief for you, just liek Sightron S2 or Monarch would.

As for believing what I say, the only truly reliable way of evaluating scopes is looking throgh them side by side.  SInce we all have slightly different eyes, you won't know what you like until you try a few.

One other thing I would suggest is trying a good quality 3-9x40 (or similar) before you go to a higher magnification.

Ilya

Edited by koshkin
gator View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2005 at 15:13
Cheaptrick,

Thank you for the comments.  Also, your insight into Mr. Koshkin's background, it lends to his perspective that was indiscernible from his comments...I have to apologize for my ignorance.

Again, forgive my ignorance, but what is the relationship between Chris of SWFA and Super Sniper + background.

Thanks again!
ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2005 at 15:46

I disagree that the Bushnell Elite does not have enough eye relief for this caliber.  I was at my gun club meeting recently and several of us went out to the range to try out the new goodies.  One gentleman was shooting a .375 with a 4200 mounted on it.  I fired a few rounds through it without a problem and he has never had a problem.  Let me go on to say, I am not a fan of recoil.  I prefer non-magnums and I put Limb Saver recoil pads on all of my rifles.  Thus, if anyone was going to have a problem, it would have been me.  I found it to work just fine, no cuts or black eyes.  In essence, if you know how to properly shoot a rifle, the 4200 has enough eye relief. 

ranburr   

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2005 at 20:31
I have to agree with ranburr with regards to recoil being a issue with a 300 WSM. Unless you are mounting a 4200 on a flyweight rifle, like a Kimber 8400 or a custom MGA or Rifles Inc. you should be good to go.
300rem7 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300rem7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2005 at 12:26
I can tell you that I have a Sightron II 4.5-14x42 mounted on a Model 7 300 SAUM using talley one piece mounts, and love the setup. I have enough low end for those close shots and enough on the top end for bench work and those longer shots.
gator View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2005 at 13:56
First, let me say thank you to all for your comments; and Mr. Koshkin, I apologize for my ignorance and I meant no offense.

Over the weekend I went to Gander Mountain and Bass Pro stores to get somewhat of a "side x side" comparison of scopes.  I came away with some answers but would like to do a little more "side x side".  This time of year is not a good time to go to either store....but I guess I'm just not smart enough to have a "need" at an opportune time.

The main reason I went to Gander Mt. was that they were listed on the Sightron Web Site as a local Houston dealer.  This proved to be a futile exercise from that standpoint, as the clerk told me that the two Sightrons they had were gone some time back, so I couldn't compare the Sightron.

I did however compare the Bushnell Elite 3200, 4200; Conquest; Nikon Monarch....and the Swaro, just for grins. The 3200 as expected didn't have the clarity.  The 4200 appeared to be slightly clearer than the Nikon and the Conquest was so clear it almost hurt to look through it; it gave me the feeling of looking at heat waves rising from a roadway on a hot summer day (weird! I know).

As eye relief is an issue I asked the clerk his perception of the relative distance between my eye and the scope (in profile).  In his opinion the distance was about 2" with the 4200 and about 3" with the Nikon.  Did not check the others as 2 were definately out of my price range and the 3200 held no interest.

This morning I emailed Sightron to see if they might have another dealer in the area for a check as of yet I haven't heard back.  If anyone is interested, I'll keep you posted.

Bob
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2005 at 15:58

No worries.  I have very thick skin (self-proclaimed:)).

What was the lighting like in the store?  If it was regular fluorescent bright lighting than it will not tell you much about optical properties.  You want to find some sort of a low light situation.  Ask them if you can look through the scopes outside after sunset. 

Ilya

gator View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2005 at 16:15
IIya,

At this time of year to have a go at a scope after dark at one of the stores might be a bit tuff (the tether might not be long enough).  But a great idea, Thanks!

Bob

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2005 at 16:29

I still say you would be best served with a Conquest and it's generous 4" fixed eye relief, gator.

I have shot a 7mm Mag using a Nikon Monarch with no problems, but I'm not sure what the actual eye relief was.

I concur with koshkin, the inside of a store with it's lights make scope comparisons a little hairy, at best.

I have been known to take a couple of scopes AND a sales clerk outside at low light to compare.  

Yeah, the sales clerk hates me, but it may help you really appreciate the suttle differences between the scopes being compared.

Best wishes!!

Acenturian View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acenturian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2005 at 20:17

I have to agree with the above statements that the Conquest is the way to go.  I would not think that the 300 WSM would be that hard of a kicker to rule out the Bushnell 4200 (Great Scope) or even the Weaver Grand Slam or the Burris series (also very good scopes).

But if eye relief is a concern then definitly take a look at the Conquest.

If You're In A Fair Fight, You Didn't Plan It Properly

- Anonymous

gator View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2006 at 09:34
....as a follow-up, I did purchase a Nikon Monarch 4-12x40 after checking out as many of the comparable scopes as I had time to go and look through.  The Conquest was very nice, but to my eye, it was not worth the extra $200+ for a scope that I might use twice a year.  Also, I just couldn't find a Sightron in the Houston area.

I also mounted the scope and shot the mule (300 wsm) over the Christmas Holidays.  I did not have any problems with eye relief and was extremely happy with the clarity of the optics.  In fact, I shot it alternating with my old 22-250 which has a cheap (BSA) 6-24x50 scope....the clarity was night and day difference.  Now, I guess the old jack-handle (22-250) will have to get a new look.

THANKS GUYS FOR ALL THE INPUT!
Bob

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2006 at 11:41
Gator:
Thanks for the SITREP.

Best of luck with the new setup.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic