OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Sell or Keep Kahles CL 3-9x42 plex?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSgtSmitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sell or Keep Kahles CL 3-9x42 plex?
    Posted: January/14/2011 at 11:37
I'm not sure if I should sell or keep my Kahles CL 3-9x42?  I did a bunch of research and came to the result of it was a real good scope.  It's NIB / never used or mounted up.  I hunted with a CZ550 with a Vari X2 Leupold.  I like the Kahles glass, but wish it had a bullet drop reticle or some target knobs.  On the other hand, I'm just scared that I might be selling one of the best 1 inch scopes ever (what might be best glass going for under $1,000). 

Tell me what you all think.  Do I sell it and buy another hunting scope like a Zeis Conquest 3-9x40 Z-600 or buy a tactical scope like a Leupold MK4.  Or am I just over thinking things?  Do I need a different reticle or target knobs?  Should I just keep my scope, buy some good rings, mount it up, and stop over thinking things?  My rifle is a H-S Precision (Remmington model 700 action with H-S barrel & stock). THANKS

SSgtSmitty
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2011 at 11:38
what are you gonna be doign with this rifle?
SSgtSmitty View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSgtSmitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2011 at 11:39
Oh yea, my H-S rifle is in 30-06 and will be used mainly as a hunting rifle.  The CZ 550 goes back to my dad.

SSgtSmitty
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSgtSmitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2011 at 11:42
It would not be cheap, but I could also send it back to Kahles (all the way back to Austria) for a reticle change or having the multi zero added.

SSgtSmitty
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2011 at 11:45

whats your typical shot distance.

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSgtSmitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2011 at 12:01

100 - 300 yeards.  However I'd like for the scope to be okay out to like 500 yards.  I took to the Kahles for it's reputation for optical quality.

Soon all my hunting will be done in and around Western KY & TN.

SSgtSmitty
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2011 at 12:02
I would keep it, mount it on the rifle, and for the rest of my life enjoy one of the finest 1" hunting scopes ever created.  You don't need anything more than a plex or similar reticle for the vast majority of the hunting you'll ever do unless you're intentionally trying to set yourself up for long shots.  I personally don't have ballistic reticles on any of my big game rifles, I've killed a lot of deer, and I've never been faced with a shot opportunity where I needed one.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2011 at 12:28
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

I would keep it, mount it on the rifle, and for the rest of my life enjoy one of the finest 1" hunting scopes ever created.  You don't need anything more than a plex or similar reticle for the vast majority of the hunting you'll ever do unless you're intentionally trying to set yourself up for long shots.  I personally don't have ballistic reticles on any of my big game rifles, I've killed a lot of deer, and I've never been faced with a shot opportunity where I needed one.

+1
dw0229 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dw0229 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2011 at 13:11
SELL IT TO ME.TOP DOLLAR PAID.
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2011 at 13:20
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

+2
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2011 at 13:38
i'll trade you my team primos for your kahles. it has the bdc reticle.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2011 at 14:18
I'd keep it (unmodified) unless you also really want to make the commitment to becoming a long-range shooter. Sounds like an excellent scope for virtually all hunting scenarios.
Reaction time is a factor...
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2011 at 15:10
I am in a similar situation
I have a CL 3-10x50 4A multizero reticle

I LOVE the scope for hunting but am toying with the idea of going to a +20 MOA base and a tactical scope for my 308 now that we have a 1k range here.

I can shoot as is to 750 but have tasted shooting to 1K and I really like it!

www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

jackG View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2011 at 18:07
I have a Kahles CL Helia 4-12X52 scope mounted on a 270 WSM.  I contacted Kahles regarding installing target type adjustable turrets.  I was told it would require shipping the scope to Austria, it would take an estimated 8 weeks, and would cost $250.   They would install the multi zero turrets.

I've decided to just aim a little higher as the deer get further away.
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2011 at 18:24
What do you want for it?

Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSgtSmitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2011 at 10:54
Sorry for the slow reply I was away form a computer last night.
I want the scope mainly for hunting.  The rifle is sort of a cross between a hunting rig and a tactical rifle.  It is a Rem 700 action (in 30-06 made before all the dumb locks on the Rem actions) with H-S fluted tube and H-S stock.  My trusted local gun smith worked on the trigger to smooth things out.

My main concern is that I had good glass.  Research told me that the MSRP on the Kahles was $1,034 (way out of my price range).  The sope is great, it's just does not have the things that I see so many other scopes have thes days: it only has a plex reticle with no ajustable target turetes.  It does not have a fancy BDC reticle like a Z-600.  Just worried if my scope is good enought / equal to my H-S made rifle?

I've looked at the following rings Leupold MK 4 base & rings, Cone-trol out of TX, DNZ Game Reaper, and the LW Talley.

The more I think about it the more inclined I am to do what the other say; just keep what is a damn good scope and mount it up.  I think I have a "software problem" not a hardware problem since the rifle / scope combo I purchased should do every thing I'd ever need.

SSgtSmitty
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSgtSmitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2011 at 14:37
As of right now I think I'll keep it.
Just too good a scope to walk away from.

SSgtSmitty
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic