OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

More F-Class shooting questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoahbodyImportant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: More F-Class shooting questions
    Posted: January/13/2011 at 08:38
Again, shooting 600-1000 yards prone shooting...

Which reticle should I look for?

Some say Target Dot, V-Plex Wide, or Mil-Dot.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2011 at 08:40
thats personal preference.  The target dot will give you a smaller aiming point of impact but at 600yds it may be a little thin to see on target.
NoahbodyImportant View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoahbodyImportant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2011 at 08:56
Thanks SVT

I was leaning more towards Mil-Dot.  I think I will stick with that choice.
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2011 at 09:04
I would rather go for the mil reticule with fine cross hairs.

General complaint is that the dot covers a large part of the target

Edited by 8shots - January/13/2011 at 09:10
chuck danger View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuck danger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2011 at 19:13
I think you are going to find a mil-based reticle to be pretty busy.  At 600 yards and beyond, you'll probably find shooters using as fine a crosshair as possible so as not to obscure the target.  In F-Class, the new targets have a 3" bull-  doesn't take much reticle thickness to obscure that.  

Just my .02 from shooting F-Class-  I use a fine cross hair with a 1/16 MOA target dot.

tjtjwdad View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjtjwdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2011 at 12:57
Originally posted by chuck danger chuck danger wrote:

I think you are going to find a mil-based reticle to be pretty busy.  At 600 yards and beyond, you'll probably find shooters using as fine a crosshair as possible so as not to obscure the target.  In F-Class, the new targets have a 3" bull-  doesn't take much reticle thickness to obscure that.  

Just my .02 from shooting F-Class-  I use a fine cross hair with a 1/16 MOA target dot.

I would tend to agree.  A .5MOA isn't very much.  For XTC, I would consider a TGT dot.
cvedrick View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cvedrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2011 at 17:11
Are we talking about F-Class Bench rest where ranging is unnecessary and you only have to re-zero to pre-determined targets or are we talking about, F-class open, F-T/R, or the long range practical?

http://demigodllc.com/articles/optics-for-long-range-rifle-shooting-2009-update/

http://usfclass.com/what_is_f-class.aspx
NoahbodyImportant View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoahbodyImportant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2011 at 18:11
F-T/R
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2011 at 18:30
No one
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic