OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Bad scopes for the money id to high end?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WYcoyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2011 at 19:26
One brand I don't think is worth the money anymore is L...... .
Not to mention any names.
slowr1der View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowr1der Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2011 at 19:38
I have had a couple of VX-I's and I don't think they are worth the money. The glass has been pretty lousy imo compared to other similar priced scopes, as well as both of them having to be sent in for repair. One of them had to go in twice in the 4 years I've owned it.

I also had a VX-II and it wasn't impressive glass wise either for the price, but I sold it without ever mounting it.

I think this post is a good idea, because I don't want to be stuck buying crap just because someone doesn't want to talk bad about that company.

Edited by slowr1der - January/12/2011 at 19:39
bluejay84 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluejay84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2011 at 20:31
Obviously I'm pretty new here but I see that as making me really qualified to chime in on this.  One of the things I liked best about this forum (next to the quick responses) was that I got feedback about good choices in my price range and great choices that were now in my price range due to closeouts.  Initially I was seriously looking at a Nikon Prostaff.  It was in my price range and in a matter of a couple of weeks it was down from a $150-$170 scope on sale to $100 killer deal.  This seemed like a good idea for a lifetime guarantee.  Then I got great feedback on the Viper, was led to answer some questions to myself honestly about the how I would use it, and went from a 3x9 to a 2x7.  Point being, I didn't have to ask about bad scopes because only the good scopes that people have good experiences with came up.  The Bushnell name came up as having some good scopes until I read some history posts and discovered that they were good but the customer service could be a little difficult at times.  I ruled them out right away as I didn't want to have to go rounds with a customer service person as to whether the problem was my fault.  I take darn good care of my stuff so if something happens, it's a freak thing or a problem with the product.  I wouldn't expect anyone to stand behind a bone head move like backing over it with an atv or suv.  But having it slide off the side of a tree or bumped off a tailgate is a little different.  If I can get coverage for stuff like that, and it sounds like Vortex does, then I'm feeling pretty good.  So, do we need to bash scopes?  Probably not.  But honest, straight-forward answers are expected, and if that answer reveals a poorly designed product, so be it.
Mr. Terror View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Terror Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2011 at 21:11
    Great post bluejay.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2011 at 08:18
In the last 15 years and over 40 scopes owned, I've only had to send one scope in.  It was a Nikon Monarch UCC, the scope didn't actually fail, but the turrents became ultra difficult to adjust.  The scope was fixed and was used for an additional 4 years until it was sold to a friend where it remains in service.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2011 at 09:23
Man you are lucky.  I have sent in a Meopta, 2 IORs, Leupold, 2 Bushnells, Vortex, Tasco (no surprise), NcStar (again no surprise) ATN. 

Guess I am either hard on scopes or just have bad luck. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic