OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

nikon monarch vs vortex viper

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300 ultramag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: nikon monarch vs vortex viper
    Posted: January/12/2011 at 10:34
ok these scopes are priced fairly close. id like to hear which is better optically, which will hold up. im looking for good glass to make 400+ shots on pdogs.it will be on my primary pdog gun savage 12 btcss 204. i was looking at a nikon m. 5-20x44 and a viper 6.5-20x44 or 50
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2011 at 11:03

Optically I think they will be similar the big difference is in the no BS lifetime transferable warranty that vortex offers if you ever had to use it.  Nikon's been picking up there CS lately but the track record isn't there yet. 

I'd give the nod to Vortex.
300 ultramag View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300 ultramag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2011 at 11:56
do the new monarchs have tunnel vision like the buckmasters,i have an older monarch and it doesnt.
Poodleshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poodleshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2011 at 13:49
The Monarch 5-20x that I've looked through doesn't have the tunnel vision of my 4.5-14x Buckmaster.
I think the Buckmasters use a field stop that causes that effect.

In deciding on the 6.5-20x44 Viper vs the 5-20x44 from Nikon, I went with the Viper. The Monarch grayed out at higher powers-almost a foggy effect, which I didn't care for.
In the end, the clearance prices on the Vipers sealed the deal for me,as it cost me far less than even buying a Monarch on a dealer account.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2011 at 13:54
I don't have the Monarch.  But I do have a 6-20x50 Viper.  I got it on closeout as well.  I think it is a pretty good scope, above 16x it gets pretty dark and eye placement is pretty critical, but still usable.  I put it on a 223 WSSM.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Marine24 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marine24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2011 at 09:14

Up until recently I've used Nikon Monarchs and Monarch Xs on the bolt action rifles.  Clarity of the optics and tracking have always been exceptional.

My one indiscretion was purchasing a Vortex Viper (2-7x32) for a Browning BAR.  Price was too good to pass up compared to the Nikon Monarch model.

You aren't giving anything up going with the Vortex and it is hard to beat the price/warranty.

Can't say I'm a convert yet, but Vortex Vipers are on my short list of scopes to consider.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2011 at 16:56
Out of those choices, Viper 6.5-20x50 is your best bet.

ILya
300 ultramag View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300 ultramag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2011 at 20:40
ive heard that the viper gets dark as you turn up the power anyone else experience this
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2011 at 21:56
Originally posted by 300 ultramag 300 ultramag wrote:

ive heard that the viper gets dark as you turn up the power anyone else experience this

All high magnification scopes get darker once the exit pupil gets small enough.

ILya
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic