OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

stuck

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjrgr21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: stuck
    Posted: January/12/2011 at 09:05
how much more scope are you getting (if any) with the Mk43.5-10 M1 vs the SS 3-9? other than saving $500 with the SS.

scope is going on a RRA LAR8 varmint, max range is around 800

just looking for opinions,

thanks all
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2011 at 09:08
your not.  The SS is better.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2011 at 09:31
+1 on the SS
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
jjrgr21 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjrgr21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2011 at 10:06
i could care less how pretty it is, or what name it has on it. we had M3's in the army and i guess they are still using them. but i am a klutz, i'm super rough on everything i own, and i use everything i own.

so i would have no problem trading clarity for ruggedness.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2011 at 10:09
The SS is very tough, and has great glass. You won't be left wanting with it, trust me.
jjrgr21 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjrgr21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2011 at 10:19
say the 2 were equal in price, which then?
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2011 at 10:23
SS. any way you swing itWink   IMO

Edited by SVT_Tactical - January/12/2011 at 10:23
jjrgr21 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjrgr21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2011 at 10:24
thanks
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2011 at 09:09
You wouldn't be trading clarity if you got the SS 3-9X. The glass is pretty good. Also, the scope is very tough.
Reaction time is a factor...
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2011 at 09:49
I happen to have both the Leupold FFP 3.5 to 10x40 and two of the Super Sniper 3-9x42 and one of the 10x42HD Super Snipers.  If I were to buy another scope today I would select either the 3-9x42 Super Sniper or the 10xHD.  The Mk4 and the HD both have adjustable parallax the MK4 is a knob on the left side the HD is rear focus so if you are left handed rear focus is a lot better. The 3-9x42 does not have any adjustable focus which can be a good thing on a fast action gun. The adjustable parallax is a desirable feature on a long range target or tactical rifle. Where the 3-9SS and the 10HD really work out better is that they are both 1/10 mil clicks so the reticle and the adjustments are in the same type of measurements.  The Mk4 is 1/4 moa clicls. The knobs feel better on the Super Sniipers.  The glass on the Super Snipers is at least comparable if not better.  I would suggest that you select one of the two new Super Snipers and if the rifle will only see long range work where a 10x would work then go for the fixed power. If the rifle willl be used for a lot of different things at differeant distances go for the 3-9.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2011 at 11:06
If you've worked much with Leupold tactical scopes, you have experienced a scope failure. 

I would say the SS is appreciably tougher than the loopy (anything mechanical can fail, it just seems loops fail more than most other reputable scopes.)
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
jjrgr21 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjrgr21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2011 at 11:16
thanks,

i should explain that i do have some experience with optics, i understand the difference between MOA and milliradian, and i prefer mil/mil scopes, we had the M3's on our sr25's which worked well, but i broke 2, and have leery since. they worked but i was jealous when we were hanging out with some marines who had S&B's.

i'ts been 10 years since then, and i just wanted to see what the best was at my $$ range, as i know optics have improved since then. there are so many new brands out now, $ for $ i preferred burris to leupold, but luppy's were still a bit better optically, but i prefer toughness.

but if the 3-9 SS has decent parallax out to 800 then that's fine, eventually i'd like it on MK12 variant for 3 gun.

thanks for all the input and please school me, as i've been out of the game for a while.

thanks again,
J
jjrgr21 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjrgr21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2011 at 15:13
"anything mechanical can fail"

absolutely, and leupold is more of a name anymore, and i like to try new things.

how is the warranty on the SS, though i hope it's never needed.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2011 at 15:14
Chris stands behind the SS 100%
Chris Farris II View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2011 at 16:06
Originally posted by jjrgr21 jjrgr21 wrote:

"anything mechanical can fail"

absolutely, and leupold is more of a name anymore, and i like to try new things.

how is the warranty on the SS, though i hope it's never needed.
Rest assured, IF you have a problem with a SS, we WILL take care of you.
One day your life will flash before your eyes; Make sure it's worth watching.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2011 at 11:07
Buy with confidence the Super Sniper scopes are a great choice.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
jjrgr21 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjrgr21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2011 at 17:18
so i'm raising this again,

i bought a 3-9 ss, the hashes didn't align, swfa sent another, and the hashes didn't align, so it's on its way back. so my question, are there any other scopes out there that compare, for about the same $$. i thought of the bushy 2.5-16 6500, but now have my doubts about that.

any input is appreciated
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2011 at 18:45
What do you mean the hashes didn't align?  The turret hashes don't line up with the witness marks?  If that were the only problem, I would just paint the witness mark and paint a new one on that lines up perfect.
-Matt
jjrgr21 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjrgr21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2011 at 19:14
the hashes should line up with the main witness lines, i've had several scopes that align. they wouldn't exchange it if thats the way it was supposed to be.

i'm not here to complain, just seeking a little guidance.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2011 at 19:49
I didn't say that was the way it was supposed to be, I was just offering an alternate solution.  It was my "any input" you were talking about.

You might want to give SWFA a call and ask for one hand-selected to index exactly.  Maybe CFII could help you out.

or

You can look at the Vortex PST series.

One thing I am certain of is whichever way you choose to go, SWFA will take care of you.  They have taken care of me.
-Matt
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic