OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Laser Rangefinders
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Remington Sendero II .300 RUM Scopes?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sdsrfnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Remington Sendero II .300 RUM Scopes?
    Posted: January/11/2011 at 22:44
Need your advise/help? I have been using my dads 1978 Browning bolt action .30-06 for years.  Just got a Remington Sendero SF II 300 ultra mag from a friend. Has a muzzle break and has been barely used.  I know these guns have the ability to shoot very far, but I have no idea what kind/power scope to purchase to utilize the ballistics of this rifle.  I use a Burris 3x9 with BDC on my .06 and am comfortable to 350 yds.  What would you recommend for this gun?  I can get a new Zeiss 4.5-14x44 with a duplex recticle for $725.  Good price but would like some ideas on this and what you might recommend. This will be used for mule deer and elk hunting in Montana.  Thanks!
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2011 at 07:51
The 300 rum is definitely capable of long range shooting, the big question lies in the ability of the shooter.  For me 350-400yrds is pushing my limits no matter what rifle/scope combination I'm using.  If you have done your home work and have spend plenty of time at the range and feel confident in shots beyond 500yds the 300 rum will definitely be more than willing.

As far as scopes go I think the Zeiss 4.5-14x44 would be about perfect, but to my thinking I'd want a Mil-dot or ranging reticle for added confidence.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Johnny View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2011 at 15:25
If you go elk hunting with horses and use a scabbard to put the rifle in, the 4-14 scopes are too big for the job. A good 3-9 or a 2 1/2 - 10 with 40mm objective would be fine. If you can't get the job  done at 9 or 10 power, I don't believe 14 power would make the job any easier.
These are my experiences. Many of the 4-14 scopes also have adjustable objectives for parallax that's not needed for elk hunting. It's just another thing to have set in the wrong position when you need to be shooting.Howdy
Black Bear Road
sdsrfnut View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sdsrfnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2011 at 22:19
Thanks for the insight.  I agree I am more comfortable with the BDC recticle so I am holding off on the Zeiss.  I just want the clarity and focus if I get the chance at a great deer or elk at say 600 yds.  I shoot a lot so I will be confident if the shot presents itself.  I live about 2 miles from a Cabelas and the manager of the rifle/scopes section is very experienced and is old school and believes in lots of practice and doesn't like all the adjustment options for scopes.  He says most of the big deer and elk he has taken didn't give him the time to make/calculate all the changes.  I just want to spend my money wisely and be comfortable with my decision, so any further input would be greatly appreciated.
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2011 at 18:39

Zeiss makes a good ret. & it is can be used as a BDC.....Z800 made for .300um!

Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic