OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope or Red dot

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dezmick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope or Red dot
    Posted: January/11/2011 at 21:47
I am getting a new AR-15 and would like some opinions on whether i should get a scope like one of these 2 for target shooting at about 100 yards and whatever else i might want to do.
http://swfa.com/Nikon-3-12x42-M223-Riflescope-P45659.aspx
http://swfa.com/Leupold-4-12x40-Mark-AR-Riflescope-P41868.aspx
or if i should just get something like this that would more than likely be good enough for what kind of shooting i would want to do.
http://swfa.com/EOTech-XPS2-Tactical-Holosight-P12958.aspx

jetwrnch View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jetwrnch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2011 at 22:04
My personal choice:
http://swfa.com/Trijicon-125-4x24-Accu-Point-Rifle-Scope-P506.aspx

It's the best of both worlds. For just a dot scope I like the Aimpoints.
grimreaper21 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grimreaper21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2011 at 00:10

^Agreed, the Eotechs are amazing in a life or death tactical situation but the accupoint will give you a nice median between both scope and red dot.  I think the nikon/leupold are overpriced for what they are... there are so many better scopes in the $400-500 range I couldn't begin to name them all.  I would probably go Zeiss or Minox if I decided to spedn that for a pure riflescope.  Otherwise I would focus more on the accupoint or ecotech. 

outlawskinnyd View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outlawskinnyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2011 at 02:06
red dot= aimpoint or trijicon reflex for ar use (imo)

if you find out you need magnification you can always get a 3x magnifier

RocRat View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RocRat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2011 at 07:14
I've been agonizing over buying this set up for my HK 91,, but its designed for the AR platform. http://swfa.com/Millett-1-4x24-DMS-Burris-PEPR-Combo-P42148.aspx 

I have an EoTec on my M 4 and its amazing,, but unless your going for a magnifier,, its only as good as your eyes. I can get good hits on my 4" steel plates at 100 yds,, but need some magnification for anything small at greater range. 
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2011 at 11:15
Get one of the new SS 1-4s, or maybe look at one the Burris Euro Diamond 1.5-6 scope on sale.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
JLud View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2011 at 18:16
If you want to shoot at a decent sized moving target or anything at close to med range that allows you to have both your eyes open, aimpoint or eotech.  I have had both, think they both work very well.  Eotech has the circle around the dot if you like that, but aimpoint looks to be more rugged.

A 2-7 Vortex Viper on closeout might work for you if your ok with low end of 2, otherwise ton of scopes to chose from.

Be honest with yourself about how far out you are going to shoot, and what you are really desiring to do with it.  If its your SHTF weapon, red dot in my book for close work.  If you want it to do a bit of everything, 1.5-6 or 2-7.  If 100 is max range you think you would shoot, dont worry about the holdover reticle, unless you are going to go out to 300 or more.  Zero it an inch high at 100 and your good for 2.
That thing on the left....my old ride, some days I miss her.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2011 at 18:37
-Matt
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2011 at 18:49

Or you can stick your chocolate in your peanutbutter.

http://swfa.com/Hawke-15-6x44-Eclipse-30mm-Riflescope-P41112.aspx

I've got one, the glass is actually really good, and for 100 yards it works very well. 

If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.
feklar View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote feklar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2011 at 15:14
The red dots/eotechs are pretty specialized for cqb, they might be fun for running coyotes/pigs, or out of a chopper.  I don't think many non-police military guys would like them much.  I had one on an AR and got rid of it in favor of a scope I could shoot things with beyond 100 yds.  Remember the dots on many of those ar's cover about a paper plate at 100 yds, which means thats the best you will shoot at 100 yds.  I wanted to be a bit more accurate.

outlawskinnyd View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outlawskinnyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2011 at 15:16
you could do the whole low power scope with red dot over it

not sure how your cheek welds gonna be though
cvedrick View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cvedrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2011 at 17:04
One question I have not seen is how accurate do you expect your AR to be, OK it is new, but there are some out there that can not ever be better than a 2.5MOA rifle (with match ammo) and others that get sub MOA all day with surplus ammo.

Second question is at what range do you expect to shoot?

If shooting targets, are we talking plinking or competition and what sort of competition?  In some matches you are forced to dial the magnification down all the way and tape the power ring in order to be allowed to compete against some of the iron sighted rifles.

Oh yea how fat is your wallet?  Are you willing to spend as much or more for your scope as you did for your rifle?

Without knowing answers to these questions I can say that a 3x9-40 can be a good choice, just make sure it is well known for clarity.

I have several of these I got at various sales and they have worked well for M-4 hunting rifles and .22s

http://swfa.com/Swift-3-9x40-Premier-Rifle-Scope-P7275.aspx

I also like the 1 piece mounts Rock River started selling a year or so ago as opposed to having to mount a riser/ring combo or getting extra tall rings.

Being one of the top 2 most likely to be modified rifles in the world (ruger 10/22 is the other) yo have so many options and variations open to you that you can spend loads of money and weigh your rifle down until a M249 looks like a light weight nest to it.

Keep in mind some things......

How accurate is the rifle really?  If you are getting 3MOA out of it, you probably do not need a 24x scope just to watch your 3"+ group from really close up.

What will your maximum effective range be?  I know what the army lists as the maximum effective range, but keep in mind they are talking about hitting a target 15" wide by 24" or so tall with enough accuracy and energy to wound.  Personally I find a long kill shot on a whitetail to be 300yd.

Do you intend to hunt with this rifle?  How much weight are you willing to cart around over the hills and through the brush.

Mil-dot and target turrets are not strictly necessary, can you guestimate range using the old MK-1 Eyeball?  Can you estimate the amount of bullet drop at that range and compensate by aiming a bit high?

My takes on a few:

(By the way I am assuming an M-4 pattern AR versus LRT)

Trijicon ACOG, does the job, light weight, clear, sturdy,external illumination, +1 on coolness factor, can cost as much or more than your rifle

Eotech  Assume light weight (can't find weight), somewhat easy to use, gotta remember to turn it on...  a bit pricey compared to your other choices, NEEDS batteries, listed good for 600 hours, but watcha going to do when the temperature drops below freezing and your battery lifespan does the same?  Or you are out in the boonies and the battery finally dies?  Sorry I do not have to keep my spare batteries in my underpants and then have to switch them out with the ones in my sight every 10 minutes lest the sight quits working.  Accurate enough, My buddy uses one to zero soda cans offhand @50yd and seems to get 3 out of 5.

Of the two the scopes you listed, the Leupold is lighter on the other hand there are several scopes here that would do a good job.

http://www.opticstalk.com/major-savings-on-discontinued-close-out-burris_topic26571.html

Truthfully I would feel good about putting any of the first 3 on an AR platform, and taking the difference to buy other stuff, slings, ammo,  cleaning supplies memberships to private shooting clubs........

stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2011 at 18:30
If money is not an obstacle,you might also want to take a look at the SWARO Z6I 1-6x24 illum. circle dot.It is a true 1-power & allows me to keep both my eyes open.For what it does,it is small,well made but a little bit heavy[16.2 oz]but some of the best glass I have ever looked through!
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic