OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope Under $200

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cbissell07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope Under $200
    Posted: January/11/2011 at 21:22

Okay well im looking for a new scope for my slug gun as well, and since you all helped so much picking out my scope for my 300WSM(conquest 3-9x40) i thought you would be able to help with this. My longest shot would prob be around 75 yards. soo i was thinking maybe something along a 1-4x? Your opinion will be appreciated!

Thanks
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2011 at 22:46
Burris 3-9x40 Fullfield II Rifle Scope Plex Burris 3-9x40 Fullfield II Rifle Scope
Stock # - 200160
  • Gloss
  • Plex
  • 1"
  • Hunter Knobs
  • Discontinued closeout price
  • Normally $189.95
$119.95
Price wise its hard to beat this deal. Probably more power than you need but if you used it on 3x you should be OK.  At those short distances you may even want a red dot scope.
Vortex 1x30 StrikeFire Red Dot 30mm Sight Vortex 1x30 StrikeFire Red Dot 30mm Sight
Stock # - SFBRHUNT
  • Matte
  • Red Dot
  • 30mm
  • Comes with Low Ring and 2x Doubler
$149.95

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2011 at 23:02
In addition to the FFII and strikefire, I would also look at the 2-7 viper.
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2011 at 23:14
+1 on the Viper 2-7.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2011 at 07:37
The 1-4x20 VXII would be great, only down side is the light gathering ability of the 20mm scope.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2011 at 08:08
2-7 viper. would be ideal fit
Folically Challenged View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Folically Challenged Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2011 at 08:44
Originally posted by Cbissell07 Cbissell07 wrote:

Okay well im looking for a new scope for my slug gun as well, and since you all helped so much picking out my scope for my 300WSM(conquest 3-9x40) i thought you would be able to help with this. My longest shot would prob be around 75 yards. soo i was thinking maybe something along a 1-4x? Your opinion will be appreciated!

Thanks

If you like Conquests... do a little digging, and find a 4x32!

Or, the 1-4x sounds good, too.  It's a great time to be a scope buyer.

FC
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2011 at 10:22
I just put a 4X32 Sightron II on my slug gun. It's a keeper I believe. Good eye relief, decent glass, lightweight, good CS and reasonably priced. What's not to like? Good luck with your selection.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
brencat View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brencat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2011 at 13:27
Originally posted by bugsNbows bugsNbows wrote:

I just put a 4X32 Sightron II on my slug gun. It's a keeper I believe. Good eye relief, decent glass, lightweight, good CS and reasonably priced. What's not to like? 

Eye position sensitivity perhaps ? (At least that was true on the Big Sky, IMO)
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2011 at 13:29
What Big Sky did you have?  My 1.25-5x seems to be fine in that regard.  A fixed power would probably even have less issues with that.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2011 at 13:31
If you max shot is 75 yards, I would look at a fixed 1x or 2.5x.  I have a fixed 1x on my muzzleloader and have taken deer at 200 yards. 

But I am a low power kind of guy, I think 4x is to much for inside 100 yards.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

Cbissell07 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cbissell07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2011 at 13:43
yeah but if i need to count a bucks rack at 75 yards its nice to be able to get that close. and ive also had deer run me over (shot one 3 feet away, coulda poked her with my gun) so i feel a 1-4 would be perfect
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2011 at 13:47
That is what the Binos are for.  Big Grin

brencat View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brencat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2011 at 13:52
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

What Big Sky did you have?  My 1.25-5x seems to be fine in that regard.  A fixed power would probably even have less issues with that.

3-9 x 42 ... looked thru it, didn't buy it. Eye positioning was too critical for my taste, but the glass was good.  Of course we're discussing a lower power fixed so I'm not sure it would apply.

I currently have a 3-9x40 Conquest, an IOR 4-14x50 Tactical, and the recent addition to my family a Viper 2-7x32.  Eye positioning sensitivity is about the same on all 3 -- I'd call it medium / okay.

But Leupold is still the best in this category. Why is it so difficult for manufacturers to get this right?
I may not shoulder the gun the same way every time, nor have my cheek mounted in the exact same place every time. 

/end rant
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cbissell07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2011 at 13:52
yeah but when you do a lot of pushing and the deer fly by us by the time you pull your binos up and go to reach for your gun then that deers gone
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2011 at 13:57
Here is another thought.  I just got one of these.  I have not hunted with it, but the power range is great.  With the closeout sale it is a great deal.  http://swfa.com/Burris-15-6x40-Euro-Diamond-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P2984.aspx

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cbissell07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2011 at 13:59
if i can pick one up on the samplelist for around 250 thats a possibility
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2011 at 14:01
Originally posted by Cbissell07 Cbissell07 wrote:

yeah but when you do a lot of pushing and the deer fly by us by the time you pull your binos up and go to reach for your gun then that deers gone

If they are moving that fast you really don't have time to turn up the magnification of your scope either.  That is unless you hunt on 4x.  Which then defeats the purpose of getting the 1-4x. 

Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2011 at 14:02
Originally posted by brencat brencat wrote:

Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

3-9 x 42 ... looked thru it, didn't buy it. Eye positioning was too critical for my taste, but the glass was good.  Of course we're discussing a lower power fixed so I'm not sure it would apply.

I currently have a 3-9x40 Conquest, an IOR 4-14x50 Tactical, and the recent addition to my family a Viper 2-7x32.  Eye positioning sensitivity is about the same on all 3 -- I'd call it medium / okay.

But Leupold is still the best in this category. Why is it so difficult for manufacturers to get this right?
I may not shoulder the gun the same way every time, nor have my cheek mounted in the exact same place every time. 

/end rant

Good to know about the 3-9x

DAVE44 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAVE44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2011 at 14:07
I had a Big Sky 3-9x42 and never even mounted it. The eye positioning was extremely critical. You had to be exactly centered and exactly the right eye relief to get a good sight picture.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic