OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting, Fishing & General Outdoors > General Hunting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Montana Mountain Goat

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Montana Mountain Goat
    Posted: January/10/2011 at 22:17
My buddy drew a great Mountain Goat Permit in Western Montana.  He only had a few days to hunt, however, because he was booked up for the general season as a hunting guide.  A couple of friends and I loaded up the horses and headed over to give him a hand.  Here is a video memoir of the hunt:

All video was taken with a point-and-shoot Sony WX1 camera.  Telephoto was possible thanks to my Vortex Razor 85HD and the Vortex Digiscoping adapter.

-Matt
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2011 at 06:42
Sweeet!  Bet you guys were stoked!!! ExcellentExcellentExcellent
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2011 at 08:01
That is really great, thanks for sharing. Some serious mountains around that part of the world!!
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2011 at 10:31
Nice
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2011 at 10:36
Now that's some high-angle shooting. Looks like you guys had a good time up there.
Reaction time is a factor...
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2011 at 11:22
Very cool!!!! Looks like an area I have hunted a few times or very much like it.

To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2011 at 12:04
Well done! Excellent
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2011 at 12:22
Excellent footage, done pretty professionally I'm impressed Matt!
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2011 at 12:24
Yep nice steady hand on the camera! ExcellentExcellentExcellent
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

SD Dog View Drop Down
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2011 at 13:22
That is absolutely beautiful and amazing.  How far off where the goats when you videoed them?  Thanks for sharing.
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2011 at 13:23
I should of used a tripod for filming the shot, but I was pretty happy with how it turned out.

Next time will be a little better.

If you wondering why it took three shots: it wouldn't have, but you don't want a goat running (jumping to their demise) away.   All three shots went right through the heart, lungs, and leg structure. They are incredibly tough critters. She was an old, dry nanny with nearly 11 inch long horns, and she nearly made it off a 150 foot cliff.

Edited by Bitterroot Bulls - January/11/2011 at 14:23
-Matt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2011 at 20:10
Originally posted by SD Dog SD Dog wrote:

That is absolutely beautiful and amazing.  How far off where the goats when you videoed them?  Thanks for sharing.

The goats standing skyline were 800 yards away.  The goats resting in the sun were about 380 yards away.  The goats during the shot were 138 yards away and were filmed with the WX1 handheld at 5x zoom.  The moose was about 1000 yards away.

It is truly amazing what you can "videoscope" through a high quality spotting scope.
-Matt
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2011 at 21:42
I've been behind one on the trails in Glacier and marveled at their bone structure. You look at the legs on a tough old billy and you know you will be the one who will wait or get off the trail if he turns around.
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2011 at 22:02
Great pic's Mark.Congrats on a successful huntExcellent
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2011 at 08:16
I sent this link to a buddy who is getting into digiscoping and he sent me back a link for a Cannon SX30IS SLR camera with X140 and image stabalization.  Got to say I'm impressed with it only costing $369!  Check out this link.  the video is supposedly shot freehand with no tripod!!!!

--Thomas Jefferson

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2011 at 10:56
Originally posted by budperm budperm wrote:

I sent this link to a buddy who is getting into digiscoping and he sent me back a link for a Cannon SX30IS SLR camera with X140 and image stabalization.  Got to say I'm impressed with it only costing $369!  Check out this link.  the video is supposedly shot freehand with no tripod!!!!

Budperm,

That is a pretty nice camera. The camera's image stabilization looks like it does a good job. It wouldn't work too great for digiscoping with it's 35x optical zoom, however. You need a max zoom of 3x to 5x to film through a spotter without vignetting. That Canon does seem like a good option for using without a spotter. With my setup I can get up to 300x with full HD resolution. The Canon would support full resolution video up to 35x. From there, the digital zoom takes over, reducing resolution.

I appreciate all the kind comments!
-Matt
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2011 at 12:46
Your set-up wins hands down....but the cost!  That Camers is only $369.  Thats a very attractive alternative that will work well for most of us that don't have the elbow room yuo have! Cool
--Thomas Jefferson

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2011 at 13:57
Originally posted by budperm budperm wrote:

Your set-up wins hands down....but the cost!  That Camers is only $369.  Thats a very attractive alternative that will work well for most of us that don't have the elbow room yuo have! Cool

That camera is a great deal!  I just didn't want your friend to pick one up thinking he would be able to digiscope through a spotter with it.

Cheers.
-Matt
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2011 at 14:22
Sort of off-topic, but that is a nice camera. We have the SX10IS, with 20X optical zoom and really like it, but I sure wouldn't mind the upgrade.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2011 at 14:59
Very nicely done. I like the way you put the video toghether. Incredible rugged country.  WOW!!!

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic