OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope for HK 91

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RocRat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope for HK 91
    Posted: January/10/2011 at 19:57
Greetings,, new to the forum here,, I've been thinking of a new Optic for my HK 91, and was looking at the Millet 1x-4x DMS/ PEPR http://swfa.com/Millett-1-4x24-DMS-Burris-PEPR-Combo-P42148.aspx
My question is this,, does anyone know if this combo will clear the rear sight drum on the HK 91?
I had a EoTec on it some time back which is now on my M4. Money issues keep me from getting another EoTec, and to be honest, I would like some magnification for the HK now. Any input would be welcomed. Thanks much.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2011 at 04:11
What mount are you using? All mounts I have seen allowed the scope to clear. The STANAG HK claw mount and B-Square being examples.
Doug
RocRat View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RocRat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2011 at 07:44
Yep,, had a brain cramp last night. Forgot about mentioning the mount. I have an older low profile picatinny mount just forward of the drum. It was perfect for the EoTec except for the fact that it is rather short,, it gave me little space to access the buttons on the EoTec,, but I think it would be adequate in length for the PEPR,, more concerned about clearance for the rear bell of the Millett above the drum.
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2011 at 08:21
If you have a rail that sits low ahead of the diopter, you could adjust height for the ocular housing with higher rings.
IMO, there is no ideal way to mount optics on a 91.
Doug
RocRat View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RocRat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2011 at 10:17
Hmmmm,, hey thanks. I might get it anyways,, if it won't make the cut I could always re-mount the Eotec and use the Millitt set up on my M4. The old eyes just ain't what they used to be. I suppose I shouldn't beat myself up too bad,, I was shooting the HK yesterday and was hitting 4" steel targets at 100 yds with the drum. I'd just like to see them a bit bigger. Smile
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2011 at 14:02
WELCOME!!!

American Flag

I scrapped the up close and personal for the long distance...  They have a little more kick than I like for shooting steel they are not that compact and the brass was flying everywhere...

I have a Vortex $99.00 6-24x that does all I need it to.  The .243winchster is very flat shooting and I also have the SUPER SNIPER 10X HD  I like to shoot 300+ with both. With the right make of the HK 91 or G3's with the right barrel they are capable of long distance shots pretty precisely...  IT DOES EVERYTHING... The accuracy of the barrels on both of these 1/4 MOA  (only took 2 rifles on the PTRV's)  so I chose scopes that had the adjustment to get there and the precision to match.  While the glass on the Vortex is a little lacking the price was more than reasonable for all the scope offers.  It is a steal at the $99.00

Edited by 338LAPUASLAP - January/11/2011 at 19:41
No one
RocRat View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RocRat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2011 at 14:52
I have several Battle Rifles, and although I love all my children, I have to say the HK is the first one I would reach for if I had to do battle. Its way better than me. With the EoTec, its scary fast,, but the 7.62x51 deserves a bit of magnification to really shine.
Ted_Nugent007 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted_Nugent007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2011 at 14:59
Welcome too Optics Talk from the nugeee
Midwest_Hunter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Midwest_Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2011 at 15:08
^^ Ted's home is in Michigan, not Ohio. Good try though.
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2011 at 16:58
Ted Nugent and family live in Crawford, Texas now.
Doug
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2011 at 17:10
there is no ideal way to mount optics on a 91.
So far---- the 2011 understatement of the year.
I love little league baseball-- it keeps the kids out of the house
Yogi Bera

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2011 at 17:13

Welcome to Optics Talk.

Howdy

RocRat View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RocRat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2011 at 20:19
Hey thanks guys,, I really appreciate all the input. I have a 10x Super Sniper on my Remington 700,, I'm real happy with it,, I have a 6-24x Osprey on my Izzy HB Fal,, not the best glass, but it'll do for now. I'd love a Mark 4,, but the moneys just not there now. Gotta love this economy.
Not a big fan of mega power scopes,, but the Osprey is pretty nice for the money.

Boy 338LAPUASLAP,, that scope is tight on that rear,, I think the Millett would clear with the PEPR mount. My 91 has the retractable stock on it,, so unless I install a snap on cheek piece, cheek weld is an issue if the scope rides too high. 
Anybody know if a removable cheek piece is available for the retracting HK stock or do I see a new fabrication project on the horizon Thunbs Up
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2011 at 20:24
I have to say that the slip-on ones are just fine for me and they do the job as necessary...
No one
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2011 at 08:22
I've never heard of a cheek piece for the A3 retractable stock. You are out of choices, unless you buy a fixed.
http://hkpro.com/

http://hkpro.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=6:the-hk91&catid=14:distinctly-american-imports&Itemid=5

You can join and ask them a question. Big Bore, especially, is knowledgeable.

http://hkpro.com/forum/

I spaced Big Bore if you care to search by user.

Edited by tahqua - January/12/2011 at 08:53
Doug
RocRat View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RocRat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2011 at 09:22
I have the fixed stock,, never really cared for it. I've been studying on making additional cuts on the arms of the retractable stock to give myself options on stock length. I'm partial to a shorter pull,, similiar to the M4 stock. 

I think it would be interesting to fabricate something out of the same material used for making adjustable cheek pieces for the M1a,, can't remember the correct name right now, but I got a couple of square feet of it from McMaster Carr a few years back. It can be formed by heating in an oven to soften it, then formed over a prepared mold. Some shaped steel clips riveted to the sides that would fit the stock rails?? The plastic is very rigid and springy,, it could be spread and snapped onto the rails to install and remove,,, Have to admit,, I am a dedicated tinkerer and builder. Loco
RocRat View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RocRat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2011 at 09:28
I liked the links,,, I have an original poster from HK from the early eighties when they were Dealer Direct,, It was for the HK 93,, $399.00,, I sold my AR 15 and ordered one to match my HK 91,, that I bought in 1981,, Lord I'm gettin OLD!!!! 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic