OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Nikon Monarch or Pentax Ligtseeker 30?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tedtf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nikon Monarch or Pentax Ligtseeker 30?
    Posted: January/10/2011 at 18:33

Looking at these in 2.5-10x42 for the monarch and 3-10x40 for the LS30.  Which one has better optics? 

tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2011 at 19:35

for me it would be the nikon

Ted_Nugent007 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted_Nugent007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2011 at 17:45
          Nikon *****Marines
goosedowner View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goosedowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2011 at 19:01
Are you saying Nikon because you have looked through both? I have not had a chance to look through a new Pentax and I would like to know how they compare to other brands.
Marine24 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marine24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2011 at 09:21

I'm not the most objective poster since most of my rilfes where Monarch or Monarch X scopes, but I'd say Nikon too.  I realize optical clarity can be very subjective, but for me the Monarch scopes seemed crisper compared to the Pentax Lightseeker when I handled it at a local Sportsman's Warehouse.

It was also hard to rationalize the additional $$$ associated with the Pentax.

tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2011 at 12:55
Originally posted by goosedowner goosedowner wrote:

Are you saying Nikon because you have looked through both? I have not had a chance to look through a new Pentax and I would like to know how they compare to other brands.
  Yes. I have 2 of the monarch's in question by the OP, and several other monarch's. I have compared them side by side with a lightseeker that my brother in law had and to my eyes, and his, the lightseeker was not up to par with the nikon's.  Dont get me wrong, I'm not saying the lightseeker is a bad scope... but for the money, I'll take nikon.
goosedowner View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goosedowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2011 at 17:22
I know I'm not the original poster but Thanks for your input. I've been wondering for a while how the Pentax scopes compared to others.
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2011 at 01:19
Your quite welcome Goose! .... but dont take my word as gospel, as your eyes may well see it differently then mine... best thing to do if you can, would be compare them side by side for yourself and see what looks best to you.
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2011 at 17:09
I have read that the Lightseeker is a rebranded version of the Burris FFII. I have the Burris and the Monarchs glass is the better of the 2. I like the finger adjustable turret style better on the Monarch. The last Pentax I saw had to use a coin. That has been a couple of years ago, so that could have changed.

Edited by 3_tens - January/14/2011 at 17:10
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
slowr1der View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowr1der Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2011 at 18:32
The rebranded version of the Burris FFII is the Pentax Pioneer. I'm not sure what the Lightseeker is. 
medic52 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medic52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2011 at 18:52
I have a 257 that I put a Nikon Monarch 2.5x10 and I have really been happy with it so far......nice glass for the price
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic