OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Zeiss Victory Varipoint 1.5-6X42 #0 reticle

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troweler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zeiss Victory Varipoint 1.5-6X42 #0 reticle
    Posted: January/09/2011 at 20:17
 Anyone tried these? Thinking this may be a good option for fast shots closeup and fairly good out to maybe 300 with the magnification. I like red dots but never tried one that has the ability to magnify. My expirience with red dots have mostly been with Ultra dots on revolvers and lever actions. Looking at this one for bolt action 308 for possibility of the occasional longer shot. I know that they are not cheap but I like Zeiss victorys. Mostly wondering about the practicality of the #0 reticle. Any body know what the dot size is? All opinions welcome, I'm here to learn, yall are some of the best. Thanks in advance.
Atheism is a temporary condition. TRUTH, like gravity will not be altered by what we believe.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2011 at 08:02
Zeiss 1.5-6x42 Victory Varipoint 30mm Rifle Scope
Illuminated #0 Zeiss 1.5-6x42 Victory Varipoint 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - ZEI5217179900
  • Matte
  • Illuminated #0
  • 30mm
  • LotuTec Protective Coating
  • Type in "Zeiss1" as Promotion Code to get an Instant Rebate of $100 off of Optic
$2,199.95 
I dont know if it is a 1  moa or a 2 moa reticle but it should be an incredible scope for fast action.  There are some others that you may wish to consider like this one which illuminates due to tritium and fiber optic without batteries and without a need to be turned on.
Trijicon 1-4x24 Accu-Point 30mm Rifle Scope
German #4 Crosshair w/ Green Dot Trijicon 1-4x24 Accu-Point 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - TR243G
  • Matte
  • German #4 Crosshair w/ Green Dot
  • 30mm
$779.95 

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
troweler View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troweler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2011 at 18:50
I've never used trijicons nor have I looked through one. I know you and others here recomend them often for low light and I assume they are plenty tough. How does the glass compare with say Zeiss conquest, Zeiss victory, swarovski Z3, SS3-9, Bushnell elite 6500. I'm always open to something I had not considered. I was just thinking that a variable red dot was something a little different and would probably be pretty interesting to hunt with. We do a little deer hunting with dogs so snap shooting is pretty often the order of the day.  I don't really like to shoot a shotgun because  I can't take a shot that is more than about 75 yards and I never seem to be in the right place.
Atheism is a temporary condition. TRUTH, like gravity will not be altered by what we believe.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2011 at 20:05
Optically speaking, Trijicon Accupoint isn't nearly as good as Zeiss Victory or Swaro, but it is fully on par with the rest... in my opinion.  I have samples of all but Bushnell 6500 from which to base my opinion.

To the OP:  The Zeiss Victory Varipoint 1.5-6X42 is a spectacular scope.  I've seen the #0 reticle in that scope in person, and, when lit at least, it offers a nice aiming point without obscuring any of the view.  I don't know how useful it is in actual field conditions, as I've never used one.  But, at minimum, the scope itself is incredible.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2011 at 10:28
I will be getting one in to test soon, axious to compare directly against the S&B 1.5-6

I do know that the S&B had slightly better glass than the 1.5-6 Kahles CSX
THe latter was about as bright but the S&B image was sharper, better resolution
www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

troweler View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troweler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2011 at 16:56

Rifle dude you said something in your post that enlightened me, ( when it's lit ). I didn't even think about that, if the battery dies no aiming point. Maybe  it would not be such a good idea unless you make sure you have some spare batteries with you all the time. It would definitly be a nice uncluttered veiw though. What's the worst that could happen, you can't take that shot at that once in a lifetime deer, so what, there's always golf.

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2011 at 17:51
Originally posted by troweler troweler wrote:

Rifle dude you said something in your post that enlightened me, ( when it's lit ). I didn't even think about that, if the battery dies no aiming point. Maybe  it would not be such a good idea unless you make sure you have some spare batteries with you all the time. It would definitly be a nice uncluttered veiw though. What's the worst that could happen, you can't take that shot at that once in a lifetime deer, so what, there's always golf.

No, the aiming point is still there when the Varipoint dot isn't lit, it just becomes black instead of red.  I was just thinking that a small, single black dot with no other lines, bars, or circles to help reference the aiming point might get lost in the background easily and be hard to pick up for rapid shooting when not lit.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2011 at 19:23
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Originally posted by troweler troweler wrote:

No, the aiming point is still there when the Varipoint dot isn't lit, it just becomes black instead of red.  I was just thinking that a small, single black dot with no other lines, bars, or circles to help reference the aiming point might get lost in the background easily and be hard to pick up for rapid shooting when not lit.

That would be a problem definitely in low light or on a dark hog, bear, etc..

Edited by ccoker - January/11/2011 at 19:23
www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic