OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Talley Rings for 40mm scopes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atlasman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Talley Rings for 40mm scopes
    Posted: January/09/2011 at 10:51

What size sope will the Talley low rings handle?

I am looking at the one piece lightweight models.

Any feedback on Talley rings welcome as well  Big Grin
MikeStaten View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeStaten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2011 at 12:20
I put the low on my Remington 700 30-06 with a Bushnell Elite 4200 3-9 x40 and it fits fine.  I haven't abused the setup but the rings appear solid and I haven't had any issues.  If I were in the market for rings again, I would go with the talleys again.

Mike
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2011 at 12:33
Great product!!

It can depend on the rifle your mounting them to but normally a 40mm (to 42mm) scope requires low rings.
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2011 at 12:35
Lows seem to fit 40 sometimes 42 max but if you use scope caps allow more room. Also it depends on  barrel profile.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2011 at 13:23
I have the Talley low rings holding down a 40mm Monarch and a 6x42 Leupold on some short action Remingtons . YMMV based on barrel tapers and such. I believe you are safe with any 40mm objective scope without AO, though.
Doug
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2011 at 13:38
Talley's sit higher than other manufacturers (like Leupold) so depending the rifle (unless larger barrel like a M700 Sendero, etc.) you should be OK even with AO and scope caps.

It may help if you include the scope and rilfe your going to use.  Smile
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2011 at 13:47
Originally posted by mike650 mike650 wrote:

Talley's sit higher than other manufacturers (like Leupold) so depending the rifle (unless larger barrel like a M700 Sendero, etc.) you should be OK even with AO and scope caps.

They do sit higher than Redfield style rings. Also, my 6x42 is on top of a VS Reminton with the varmint weight barrel. There is plenty of clearance.
Doug
atlasman View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atlasman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2011 at 13:49
Does Talley make rings for the Remington 770 line?
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2011 at 14:01
Originally posted by tahqua tahqua wrote:

I have the Talley low rings holding down a 40mm Monarch and a 6x42 Leupold on some short action Remingtons . YMMV based on barrel tapers and such. I believe you are safe with any 40mm objective scope without AO, though.

I'm using Talley "medium rings" on a standard remy 700 and scope with 50mm bell. Plenty of clearance here too, even when I'm force to put on the Butler Creek caps. Great product!! Doug, you were the one who originally recommended them to me!! Thunbs Up   Bandito 
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2011 at 14:05
Now I have to take your guys recommendations on the light weight aluminum Talley's. Maybe on my 10/22 project.
Thanks Mike!
They make the light weight aluminum models for the 710. Those should be the same as the 770. No steel bases from what I saw.
Doug
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic