OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Pentax 20x60 Porro's

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cat Power Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pentax 20x60 Porro's
    Posted: January/09/2011 at 07:01
http://swfa.com/Pentax-20x60-PCF-WP-II-Binocular-P47962.aspx

I was thinking of trying these for use at my rifle range.  Any thoughts of them?
etudiant View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote etudiant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2011 at 18:44
The glass is supposed to be decent optically and weather proof.
My concern would be that there is no tripod mount afaik.
It is not easy to stay in focus for target shooting if one needs to pick up the glass and get repositioned to hold it steady enough to pick out the impact points after every couple of shots.
It is much easier if one can just look through a well focused and well positioned glass by just moving the head over.
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2011 at 19:50
Originally posted by Cat Power Cat Power wrote:

http://swfa.com/Pentax-20x60-PCF-WP-II-Binocular-P47962.aspx

I was thinking of trying these for use at my rifle range.  Any thoughts of them?

Weighing in at almost three pounds these are a handful. 
Are you planning on purchasing a tripod, or are you going to try and sandbag it?
The 20x60 is threaded to receive a tripod adapter.

I've had one since 2006.
The optics and optical coatings are excellent for a binocular in this price range.

The PCF WP II series has internal focus, which gives it a JIS Class 6 waterproof rating.
These are built very rugged   and should last you for many years.

As far as I am concerned, using two eyes, at 20x, is much more comfortable than 'squinting' with one eye for long periods of time. 

If you don't like it, for some reason, you can always return it.

Edited by Bird Watcher - January/19/2011 at 19:52
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2011 at 20:11
Just fished mine out.  Guess what they are out of collimation and I'll have to have them fixed.

FWIW I would spend some money on a decent angled spotter.  I find it nearly impossible to line the plane of the eye up suqarely with the plane of straight eye pieces when the optic has to be set to the side of the rifle.

Having saod that, with a tripod you could probably make them work OK.  The optics are good enough.

Edited by Klamath - January/19/2011 at 20:17
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2011 at 21:03
Originally posted by Klamath Klamath wrote:

Just fished mine out.  Guess what, they are out of collimation and I'll have to have them fixed.

Steve,

Cat Power View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cat Power Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2011 at 12:45
I never did buy these, but probably will after all the new stuff gets introduced into the market.  I think for general range use they will work fine.  I had a minox 62 spotter with the LER eyepiece and it was good, but I could not get used to the angled view.  I guess I just like binos better.  I will report back once I get them.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic