OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

8x42 advise requested

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 8x42 advise requested
    Posted: December/09/2005 at 08:49

I have been reading the OpticTalk archives and other similar site, trying to absorb enough information to make my desicion on a new pair of binoculars. I will be using these for bow hunting as well as during rifle season. I do not hunt for a living. I currently have a pair of B&L 10x50 Legacy and have borrowed a pair of 10x42 Legends, which I thought we clearer and more comfortable.

I think have shortlisted my selection to a roof prism, 8x42 in the $250 to $300 range. As such, am was considering the Nikon Monarch, Carson XM and Bushnell Legend. How do these compare for clarity, brightness and quality?

Thanks,

Acenturian View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acenturian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2005 at 21:25

The Carson XM are noticably better then the Bushnell Legends and WAY brighter and clearer than the Nikon Monarchs.  I sold the 8x42 pair to a friend and as soon as I get some extra cash I am buying another pair in 10x50.  Do a search on this forum for "Carson" and also since you bow hunt go to www.archerytalk.com and do a search for "Carson"  this is how I found them from fellow bow hunters.  . Also click and read this review from a bird watchers forum review . http://www.naturephotographers.net/articles0404/je0404-1.htm l

As far as roof prisms go in their price range and even for a more money Carson XMs cant be beat.  I compared them to Pentax DCF HRII,Nikon Monarchs, Bushnell Legends, and some Windrivers and none were as good as the Carsons. 

I have the Swift Audubon ED glass poro's and they are beyond words for the money.  But some people dont like the poro bulk although weight is not an issue since the Audubons are only about 24.5 oz.they have short eye relief for people that wear glasses that can be a problem.  My Carsons were not quite up to my Swifts (which can hold their own to much much more expensive glass) but they are not very far behind.  In fact dare I say that the Carson XMs are just about the same as the Pentax DCF SP I think in optical performance and a lot cheaper.  I know that I really like my Weaver Grand Slam 10.5X45 binoculars and they cost much more than my Carsons did, and the  Carsons are in my opionon much better binoculars.  True the binoculars themselves are made in China but they have Japaneese glass and a warranty that is awsome.  I think the Carsons are the best kept secret out there.

Now if your willing to spend a little bit more money and you dont wear glasses (not enough eye relief) and dont mind the width of poro glasses check out the Swift Audubons.  Do a check for them as well on this forum they are truely beyond words of praise for the money, Also check out this review:

http://betterviewdesired.com/audubon/audubon.html

Also, the Audubons in non ED are very good and a little cheaper BUT they do weigh more at 29 oz.

Again, of the roof prisms that you are looking at the Carson is the way to go.  You might want to check out the Alpen Shasta Ridge series which I think is better than the Nikons and right up there with the Bushnell Legends and Alpen is a big supporter of Archery events.  The Alpen Apex line is very good but not any better than the Carson XM and cost more.

Good luck and keep us posted on what you decide.

AC

If You're In A Fair Fight, You Didn't Plan It Properly

- Anonymous

FrankD View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2005 at 09:20

I have no experience with the Carsons though I see them praised quite regularly here and on Archerytalk. I do have experience though with both the Bushnell Legend and the Nikon Monarchs, the former in the 8x32 configuration and the latter in the 8x42 configuration. I felt image quality was comparible with the edge going to the Monarchs in terms of overall color representation and physical weight. Most of the other bins' characteristics in terms of image quality and handling were very similar to the point where I believe it really boils down to personal preference.

I think you could find further info on either of these two bins by searching http://www.bowsite.com/biggame/section.cfm?gameid=2 as there was a similar thread discussing these bins not too long ago. www.birdforum.net and www.huntingnet.com also regularly address these bins in these configuations.

Frank
mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2005 at 13:59
I've got to get me some of those Carsons.  I've compared the Nikon Monarch 8X42 to the Swarovski 8.5X42 under just about every imaginable condition and the only time the Swaro is even close to "WAY BETTER" in brightness and clarity is right at dark.  Even then, I'd have to drop the "WAY".
jjake View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2005 at 07:37

I ordered the Carson XM 8x42; based strictly on the reviews from this site as well as some of the others mentioned. I also found them for $168 which also helps when buying a product site unseen. I will give you my opinion after I have a chance to take them in the field.

I really appreciated the responses and suggestions. This is a great site with very informative people.

Hope everyone has a Merry Christmas.

elkhorn98 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elkhorn98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2005 at 10:41
Have you considered Swift 828 8.5x44 or Audubon Equinox HPs 8x42?  I have the swifts.  Both are considered birding binocs but are waterproof and less than $300.  Good luck.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic