OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Looking for a couple new hunting scopes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atlasman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking for a couple new hunting scopes
    Posted: January/08/2011 at 14:44
Hey guys,

First post here...........love the site and honestly I'm a bit overwhelmed by all the info.

Anyways, I have a few rifles I am looking to put scopes on and just wondering if you guys have any favorites that might be on sale right now or even something new I have never looked through.

The guns I have are all deer calibers like 30/30 lever Marlin, couple Savage in 30 '06 and 7mm Mag, couple Remingtons in 270 and 7mm 08........nothing out of the ordinary.

I would like to upgrade my optics though as I have lower end scopes on all of them.

The scopes I have looked through recently have been Leupold VXIII, Zeiss Conquest, Nikon Monarch, and Bushnell Elites.

I know how many guys love Leupolds but I just don't see it.......I appreciate the quality but I want my eyes to see/feel impressed when I look through the scope.

The Nikon was nice.......not sure it was $400 nice but nice........same as the Zeiss (the $700 conquest 2.5-10 40mm was pretty sweet but again not sure it was $700 sweet.

The Elites are funny........sometimes I look through them and think man, that is a nice bright, clear scope for the money.........and other times I feel totally unimpressed.

Not sure that helps anyone as far as advice for me but it is what it is.

My budget is only restricted by principles........in other words I don't care how nice a scope looks I am not going to spend $1,000 to top a deer rifle.

Maybe one upper level scope and some other good solid bang for your buck types??

Any great deals right now I should jump at?

Thanks in advance guys.
JLud View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2011 at 14:48

I think most will suggest the Vortex Viper 2-7x32s that are on closeout right now.  They are visually similar to a Elite 4200 or Nikon Monarch, at least in my book, and are supposed to have fantastic customer service, based out of Wisconsin.

That thing on the left....my old ride, some days I miss her.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2011 at 14:59
Have you ruled out the Zeiss conquest in 3-9x40 for $399?  Arguably the best Hunting scope for less than 4 bills
atlasman View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atlasman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2011 at 17:11
Originally posted by JLud JLud wrote:

I think most will suggest the Vortex Viper 2-7x32s that are on closeout right now.  They are visually similar to a Elite 4200 or Nikon Monarch, at least in my book, and are supposed to have fantastic customer service, based out of Wisconsin.

I see Vortex seems to be quite popular here........honestly, I have never looked through one.

atlasman View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atlasman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2011 at 17:16
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

Have you ruled out the Zeiss conquest in 3-9x40 for $399?  Arguably the best Hunting scope for less than 4 bills

I wouldn't say ruled it out...........in fact I prefer it to the Leupold VXIII and Nikon Monarch.  Just not sure I see the extra $250 value when comparing to scopes like the Elites.

If I had to decide right now between the ones I listed the Zeiss would most likely be my choice.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2011 at 17:54
I believe the scopes you originally listed, the VX3, Monarch, 4200 and Conquest provide some of the best values in hunting scopes.  You may want to add the Vortex Viper and some of the discounted Burris scopes to your list.  Either way I believe most of us here will agree your on the right track. 

Welcome aboard, enjoy the site and the many good  people that call this home.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
outlawskinnyd View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outlawskinnyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2011 at 19:05
theres no way you can go wrong with any of those choices. 

IMO vx3 is rugged and solid (did you look through vxiii or vx3? there is a difference), zeiss has the glass and i think 4200 is a happy medium between the two. there is no way you can go wrong with any of those. 

check out the conquest like it was suggested. you might have your gem right there

neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2011 at 21:11

Welcome

Sounds like we're kinda in the same boat. I was able to get by with whatever was on sale at Wally world till about age 37. Now my vision is not as good and I appreciate better glass, and honestly, need it to make clean kills on animals further than 70-90 yards out. I've got a lot of hunting rifles and am upgrading as I can. 

Where do you live and hunt? What type of hunting do you do? What is the longest shot you feel good taking on an animal? 

The more you share, the better the advice you'll get. The Vipers on sale right now are GREAT hunting scopes. For the money you'd be really hard pressed to come close. A few of the Burris scopes on sale might be worth consideration, and of course, that 3-9 x 40 Conquest is about a perfect hunting scope.

I had always started with a budget and then bought the scope with the most magnification thinking I was getting more for my money. I really do understand that good glass trumps magnification now. 2-7 is plenty to hunt out as far as I'll normally shoot. 3-9 works good for me too, and for my long range rifle 4-14. 

Share what you have planned and you'll get good advice here. 

If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.
jetwrnch View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jetwrnch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2011 at 21:26
 I would scope each rifle according to intended use. A low power scope on one for close rangeand maybe a high powered bean field setup with a Minox ZA 5. If you scope the 30/30 it's hard to beat a dot scope for hogs and deer in the thickets with both eyes open. Trijicon Accupoints are good for real world hunting. Elite 4200s can be found super cheap right now and have Rainguard. I just put a 3-9x40 Elite 4200 on a stainless rifle for rainy day hunting and paid $194 to the door. I use a Minox 3-15x42 BDC for coyotes. I put a Trijicon 1.25-4x24 on a tactical 12ga pump also for coyotes and shotgun only hunts. Not sure if it will survive the recoil of slugs tho. Not really sure if I will survive the recoil for that matter.  Maybe a Meopta Meopro for really low light. I would scope the rifles differently with an overlap for backup. Juuuust my opinion.
atlasman View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atlasman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2011 at 22:31
Originally posted by neilbilly neilbilly wrote:

Welcome

Thank you  Big Smile

Quote Where do you live and hunt? What type of hunting do you do? What is the longest shot you feel good taking on an animal?

Live and hunt in NY.  Mostly woods where long shots (over 100 yds) are not even an option.......but our land has a bunch of open fields where our shots could be anywhere out to 300 yds +

Right now my skills only allow me to be comfortable at 200 yds with a rifle.  I took a doe last day of muzzleloader free hand at 150 yards........from a solid anchor in my stand 200 is my self imposed limit.  Hopefully some better glass and some custom loads out of my new Hornady LockNLoad AP will improve that if need be.

In all honesty 99% of the deer I shoot are inside 100 yards.

Quote The more you share, the better the advice you'll get. The Vipers on sale right now are GREAT hunting scopes. For the money you'd be really hard pressed to come close.

Wish there was somewhere around here I could look through one.  I have never even seen one.
atlasman View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atlasman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2011 at 22:45
Originally posted by jetwrnch jetwrnch wrote:

Elite 4200s can be found super cheap right now and have Rainguard. I just put a 3-9x40 Elite 4200 on a stainless rifle for rainy day hunting and paid $194 to the door.

WOW.............where did you find that deal??  Cheapest prices I see right now are about $400.
atlasman View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atlasman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2011 at 22:53
The above should say $300............guess I can't edit posts yet.
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2011 at 23:21

Thanks for sharing. Were it me, I'd go with the Viper 2-7 for everything but one long range set up. 

The 2x on the low end would be a huge plus at shorter distances, and at 7x an object at 300 yards is going to look like it's less than 50 yards away. 

As for getting a look through one, I understand it's tough to buy something sight unseen, but can assure you that if you hate it "and you won't " you wouldn't have a tough time reselling it for about what you gave for it, or returning it if you haven't mounted it for a refund through SWFA. "mighty fine folks to deal with"

Start with one, and see if you like it. Thunbs Up

Scott from Vortex is a member here, and I have yet to hear anything negative about their customer support. As fast as bad news travels online that is saying something. One of our regulars has one mounted on a .375 H&H and has had no durability issues.

If my bike sells Monday I'm ordering 3 myself. Big Grin

If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2011 at 00:15
Originally posted by atlasman atlasman wrote:

Hey guys,

First post here...........love the site and honestly I'm a bit overwhelmed by all the info.

Anyways, I have a few rifles I am looking to put scopes on and just wondering if you guys have any favorites that might be on sale right now or even something new I have never looked through.

The guns I have are all deer calibers like 30/30 lever Marlin, couple Savage in 30 '06 and 7mm Mag, couple Remingtons in 270 and 7mm 08........nothing out of the ordinary.

I would like to upgrade my optics though as I have lower end scopes on all of them.

The scopes I have looked through recently have been Leupold VXIII, Zeiss Conquest, Nikon Monarch, and Bushnell Elites.

I know how many guys love Leupolds but I just don't see it.......I appreciate the quality but I want my eyes to see/feel impressed when I look through the scope.

The Nikon was nice.......not sure it was $400 nice but nice........same as the Zeiss (the $700 conquest 2.5-10 40mm was pretty sweet but again not sure it was $700 sweet.

The Elites are funny........sometimes I look through them and think man, that is a nice bright, clear scope for the money.........and other times I feel totally unimpressed.

Not sure that helps anyone as far as advice for me but it is what it is.

My budget is only restricted by principles........in other words I don't care how nice a scope looks I am not going to spend $1,000 to top a deer rifle.

Maybe one upper level scope and some other good solid bang for your buck types??

Any great deals right now I should jump at?

Thanks in advance guys.

For the 7mm mag, try Conquest 3-9x40 or Minox ZA3 3-9x40.  These would also work for the 270, 7-08 and 30-06.  If you want cheaper options, Various close-out Vortex Vipers are excellent with 2-7x32 being my favourite.

For the 30-30, I would suggest either the aforementioned Viper 2-7x32 or a low range variable of some sort.  The cheapest decent low range variable is Weaver V3 1-3x20 and I think it makes a very decent match with the short ranges where 30-30 is typically used.

ILya
jetwrnch View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jetwrnch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2011 at 04:26
Posting the names of competitors is not allowed here so take the price I paid as an example. They sold out anyway til spring. +1 on the Weaver V3. The price, size, and quality are great on that scope. The 336 becomes unbalanced quick when adding a scope so scopes like the V3 work well. For your type of hunting I would take a close look at the Trjicon Accupoints. That fiber optic illuminated reticle is just dang handy for hunting.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outlawskinnyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2011 at 19:10
where in ny are you from? im going hunting in orange county either this weekend or next weekend.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outlawskinnyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2011 at 19:13
oh and btw im looking for a scope for my 1950s era 336. was dead set on bushnell 3200 until i started looking into vortex a bit more.
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2011 at 21:59
I have a 2-7 viper on a 336 in 35 rem, and it has proven to be an AWESOME combo!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic