OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Soldier Killed by Hunter

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Soldier Killed by Hunter
    Posted: January/07/2011 at 15:33
http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/8891395/

Hunter tells 911 dispatcher his friend shot Bragg soldier

A Fort Bragg soldier whose body was found Saturday on a public hiking and biking trail on post was accidentally shot by a hunter, according to a 911 call released Thursday.

Capt. Jeremiah D. Sipes, 33, of Belgrade, Mont., died of a single gunshot wound, Army officials have said.

A spokesman for the Army's Criminal Investigative Command, which is looking into Sipes' death, said Wednesday that a hunter found Sipes' body near the intersection of Plank and King roads at the western edge of Fort Bragg. The Army hasn't declared the death a hunting accident, but the spokesman said they were looking into that possibility.

The man who called 911 shortly before 11 a.m. Saturday was out of breath and upset during the two-minute call.

"We got an emergency here on Fort Bragg. We got a guy that's been shot," the caller said. "It's (on the) All American Trail. We were in here hunting, and a guy was running down the fire break. We jumped a deer, and this guy with me shot him, shot the guy. We need some help quick."

In hunting parlance, "jumping a deer" means to spook an animal so it will run.

All American Trail is closed to the public during deer hunting season, which runs Oct. 2 through Jan. 1, the day of the shooting, according to Fort Bragg officials. Signs at each trail head and online to note the closures, officials said.

It was unclear if Sipes might have accessed the trail in an area where there were no signs.

Fort Bragg spokesman Tom McCollum said such an incident has never happened before, and officials are reviewing policies to help prevent similar incidents from occurring in the future.

"What we're starting to do is look at all of our safety procedures. What can we do to ensure a situation like this doesn't happen again?" McCollum said.

Sipes, a graduate of Montana State University, was the squadron intelligence officer for 5th Squadron, 73rd Cavalry Regiment, 3rd Brigade Combat Team. He is survived by his wife, Heather, and two children, Hallie and Kellan

300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2011 at 16:17

Guess it's another "animal was in between hunter and victim" shooting.  B*LL SH*T!!!!!!!!!!!
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2011 at 16:18
A classic case of not knowing whats behind your target or knowing your target at all for that matter.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2011 at 16:24
 First off,my thoughts and prayers for his family.

Your 1/2 right. Some A**HOLE screwed up BIG TIME(failed to identify his target)and needs to pay BIG TIME.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2011 at 16:58
I really don't understand how this can happen, I can't fathom pulling the trigger on something I cannot Identifiy.  My thoughts go out to the family. 
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2011 at 18:41
  The medical profession has even come up with a psychological condition to give the shooters an excuse for target misidentification.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2011 at 18:47
Originally posted by lucytuma lucytuma wrote:

I really don't understand how this can happen, I can't fathom pulling the trigger on something I cannot Identifiy.  My thoughts go out to the family. 

This.

Thanks for giving the grabbers another soap box to stand on when they cry about gun violence, Dude. These kind of "accidents" are unfathomable too me.   
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2011 at 21:05
Tragic.  Im sure it will result in severe restrictions on hunting on Ft. Bragg and likely other bases.  Classic tunnel vision - they see what they are looking at - (the running deer) and ignore everything else.  I really prefer to hunt like a bow hunter from an elevated stand taking time to identify and evaluate the potential target. My heart goes out to his family.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2011 at 21:14

Truth is in too many if not most cases they think they see what they are looking at. 
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2011 at 21:23
Breaks my heart for that poor soldier and his family... pisses me off to be a member of the "human race" who can be so DAMNED STUPID.  The "trigger puller", I won't dignify him or denegrate the rest of us by calling him a hunter, should be turned over to the soldier's family for whatever disposition they want to impose.  I don't care what they do or don't do, as long as they consider that justice is served...
I am SO TIRED of this kind of garbage...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
LRSMike View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Slightly Stoopid

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRSMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2011 at 21:33
This is truly sad. The fact that he was killed by a senseless hunter makes even worse. Now anti-gun individuals will be eating this up like cake, and the military will impose special/strict laws/training on individuals on post or individuals wanting to hunt on post. 

Sir, rest in peace.
You don’t know what you don’t know.

And those who don’t know and never try, never will.

300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2011 at 21:49
  Another sad truth is that the penalty administered for these types of shootings amount to nothing more than a slap on the wrist.
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2011 at 23:30
That hits close to home here.  Lot of people here in the Gallatin valley know who he is.

A few questions I would have, is why the hell were they shooting if they didn't have a positive id on the animal?  People who shoot without knowing their target and what is behind for as far as you can see and sometimes even when you can't see behind the hill really really piss me off.  Loose canons like that should not be in the field, let alone on a military base.

And as much as I hate to ask it, what was he doing running in a closed area?
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2011 at 00:36
My heart and prayers go out to his family.
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2011 at 10:52
I agree with Helo. The runner was not supposed to be there. 40% against the shooter but also 60% on the runner. These areas have some very heavy cover. At best, getting a shot is only a split second window. Shots may rarely exceed 25 yds because of visibility. Sure If he was out west on some of the wide open bases then much more blame on the shooter. The runner was not under any pressure to choose to ignore the keep out signs. He made the choice to place himself in harms way.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2011 at 11:21
Originally posted by 3_tens 3_tens wrote:

I agree with Helo. The runner was not supposed to be there. 40% against the shooter but also 60% on the runner. These areas have some very heavy cover. At best, getting a shot is only a split second window. Shots may rarely exceed 25 yds because of visibility. Sure If he was out west on some of the wide open bases then much more blame on the shooter. The runner was not under any pressure to choose to ignore the keep out signs. He made the choice to place himself in harms way.

I respectfully disagree that the runner is at fault here. The soldier was ON a ginormous military installation, where people abound. Why he was in a closed area, is curious, I admit, but if another hunter was shot walking to a tree stand by this dude, would he still not be liable?? 

ID'ing your target should be the FIRST priority of any hunter. Shooting at "sumfin that moved" is inexcusable, IMO.
My life long firearms instructor, call sign "Dad", concurs with me.

Edited by cheaptrick - January/08/2011 at 11:24
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2011 at 11:38
  I to must respectfully disagree,Lile.  110% of the responsibilty lies with the person holding the weapon.  Only they can make the irresponsible shooting happen.

Let me ask y'all this.  How much of a probability do you think there is of a target being in the EXACT LINE OF FIRE between the shooter and his victim at the time they shoot? 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2011 at 11:53
Originally posted by 3_tens 3_tens wrote:

These areas have some very heavy cover. At best, getting a shot is only a split second window. Shots may rarely exceed 25 yds because of visibility. 

I'd also submit that in and around the Ft. Bragg area is comprised mostly of mile after mile of pine trees and not as thicket ridden nor dense as the areas west of there, like where I hunt in the hardwoods.
Totally different terrain.

I was actually in Fayetteville last week and saw this story on WRAL TV.  
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2011 at 12:02
 Originally posted by 3_tens

These areas have some very heavy cover. At best, getting a shot is only a split second window. Shots may rarely exceed 25 yds because of visibility. 

And there it is.  You have a hyped up hunter who ACTUALLY DOES see the object in his view as the game he's persuing.
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2011 at 12:11
I don't think that it is a good idea to be shooting at game in dense cover where there may be other hunters about.  You can't see other hunters.  Other hunters ought to say:  I ain't gonna be out there because people are shooting willy-nilly at game in heavy cover. 

I like a little room around me when I am hunting.  
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic