OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

New SCAR 16 - need help selecting a scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aTX427 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New SCAR 16 - need help selecting a scope
    Posted: January/07/2011 at 10:43

I picked up a new SCAR 16 in dark earth that I am trying to select a scope for. It will primarily be used for night time varmint hunting 100-150 yrds, but I do like to punch holes in paper from time to time. Budget is ~$1,500 and I am looking for a variable in 6-10X max range with a smaller objective, 30mm tube and an illuminated reticle. I am not shooting long distance, so second focal plane is acceptable. After some research I have a few scopes on my short list, but cannot find too much info about them. I also noticed that some have fixed parallax and others are variable. Not sure how much of an issue that is. I am leaning towards the Swarovski because there is one on the sample list close to my price range. I would expect it to have the best glass, but not sure how durable it is and I am not sure how well it will work with the tactical nature of my SCAR. The Premier and S&B 1-8x would be no brainers, but they are too expensive at this time and the new SS 1-4x is a bit too low power for my eyes for head shots at 150yrds. - thanks in advance

Nikon Monarch X 2.5-10x44mm Illuminated

Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x32mm

Leupold 3.5-10x40mm Illuminated M3

Swarovski Z6i 1-6x24mm

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2011 at 10:47

Just curious what your head shooting that you cant hit with 4x @150?

aTX427 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aTX427 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2011 at 11:09
Fox, racoon and bobcat are prevelent in the area I hunt, plus the occasional coyote. My primary hunting rig is a .308 Remington 5r with a 4.5-14x50 Z-conquest. I also have a Colt 6920 with a fixed 3x that I use for squirrels and Turkey, so I am looking for something a little different on this rifle.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2011 at 11:09
I think for night like your looking for i'd look at the Trijicon 2.5-10x56 with green mildot reticle.
aTX427 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aTX427 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2011 at 12:23
I use green LED hunting lights, so I prefer red illumination. I had considered the amber mil-dot Trijicon, but I am not sure how well it shows up against green. How big of a deal is having adjustable parallax in the 4-10x magnification range? Thanks for taking the time by the way.
aTX427 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aTX427 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2011 at 12:27
I read mixed reviews about the Accupoint glass, but found it much clearer than Leupold. Hadn't had a chance to match it up to anything else other than a 1-4x Vortex HD. It was a nice scope as well, but the Trijicon 1.25-4x looked clearer and brighter to my eyes. I also prefer target turrets. Of my list, the Swarovski was the only one that had hunting turrets, but the glass quality makes up for that feature.
aTX427 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aTX427 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2011 at 12:28

How is the Nikon Monarch X glass in comparison to a Zeiss Conquest or Trijicon Accupoint?

Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2011 at 13:10
Of the scopes you list I would pick between the Nightforce or the Swaro. I have a number of Nightforce scopes and I am very pleased with them. Another scope I would consider is the US Optics either the 1.5-6 or the 1.8-10.
aTX427 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aTX427 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2011 at 13:17
I like the USO as well, but it out of my price range optioned out. How rugged is the Swaro and should the NF really have an adjustable parallax in that magnifcation range? Some people say it doesn't matter, but I can tell a pretty big difference in parallax with my Conquest inside 100 yds.
aTX427 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aTX427 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2011 at 13:41
Do you think a fixed 10x would be a poor choice?
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2011 at 13:45
won't be that good in low light.
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2011 at 14:35
Originally posted by aTX427 aTX427 wrote:

I like the USO as well, but it out of my price range optioned out. How rugged is the Swaro and should the NF really have an adjustable parallax in that magnifcation range? Some people say it doesn't matter, but I can tell a pretty big difference in parallax with my Conquest inside 100 yds.

You can get an US Optics 1.5-6 for $1394.95

http://swfa.com/US-Optics-15-6x28-SN-4-30mm-Riflescope-P47392.aspx

The 1.8-10 start at $1620.

I had a Nightforce 2.5-10x24 and did not feel hindered by not having an parallax adjustment. The sight picture was always clear for me. I used mine from 25yds to about 300yds. The general rule I have always heard is it is not required for 9 or 10x max. I am guessing that on your Conquest you see a difference in the higher magnification ranges and would not see an issue in the lower magnification ranges.

I would not worry about the Swaro you are looking at being rugged enough. I see them being used on dangerous game rifles which really kick hard.
penguin6 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote penguin6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2011 at 02:44
I have two of the green EWT LED lights on feeders for hogs at night, and I've used several different scopes.  The green dot on the Accupoints shows up very well, no problem at all against a green light, just as the red triangle shows up very well against a red flashlight.  I had a 2.5-10x56 red, but the extra objective size wasn't necessary with a lighted feeder or a long-reaching red light, so I stick with the 3-9 with green dot.  I've used it to 145 yds at night on 9x without a problem with feeder-mounted green lights and rail-mounted red light.  I haven't hunted with their amber illum.  Wasn't on your list, but the Bushnell Elite 4200 2.5-10x50 is a great lowlight scope.  It has a thick #4 reticle and the red illum dot adjusts way down to barely noticeable even at night.  If they're on sale now with everything else, that might be worth considering. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic