OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Vortex Crossfire 30mm vs 1inch

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GarandThumb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vortex Crossfire 30mm vs 1inch
    Posted: January/07/2011 at 08:40
Trying to decide if I should save $100 and go with the 1 inch tube vs the 30mm tube.

Best I can tell the major downside to the 1 inch tube is limited internal adjustments.

Other then that, how is the optical clarity between the two if you compare both flavors of the 6.5-24x50?

I would be really interested in hearing from folks who have looked through both.

Thanks
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2011 at 08:51
What is it going on?  what will the use be?
GarandThumb View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GarandThumb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2011 at 09:55
Savage bolt in 243.

Primary use:  Punching paper from a bench.
Range: 100-300 yards for now. 

My intention was to pick up one of the Vortex Vipers that were on close out for $249 but I missed the boat on those.  My budget for this currently is right in the $250-$300 range.  Part of me is thinking about just saving up for a few months and go with a Viper (while keeping an eye on the sample list).

My current scope is a 4-12x50 prosport simmons that is not adequate for what I'm doing.  I can just barely make out the 6mm holes at 100 yards.  I have to use my 10/22 which has a simmons white tail classic 6-20x50 as my spotter.

My thoughts are that I might be able to use the Crossfire 6.5-24x50 that SWFA is selling for $99 as a holdover and then pick up something really nice next year.

The WTC I actually picked up from SWFA many years ago.  It's been a fantastic scope for the money.  If the crossfire has optical clarity that matches the WTC then I'd be happy.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2011 at 10:04
not what your gonna want to hear but save up and get better glass now.  The crossfire is an entry level scope and i personally do not recommend them.  There are some great scopes from burris for your price range that would be better if you wanted something now.
grimreaper21 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grimreaper21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2011 at 16:03
i ended up coming to these same crossroads as you a few months ago, and ended up with the 6.5-20x44 viper for $250.  Definately don't spend $200 on a crossfire.. get the $99 if you want it to tide you over.  otherwise see if you can find a 6.5-20x44 or 6.5-20x50 viper anywhere for $250, there might be a few retailers with stragglers still out there.  There are other great scopes we can recommend you in the $200 range, but they will not have nearly that kind of magnification.  There are plenty of 3-9x40 options in that range, however.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2011 at 16:09
Check this discounted scopes out.

lots of good options like these for your price range

Burris 4.5-14x42 Fullfield II

$349.95 $199.95

Stock # - 200181 

• Matte

• Plex

• 1"

• Adjustable Objective

Burris 6.5-20x50 Fullfield II

$419.95 $249.95

Stock # - 200191 

• Matte

• Fine Plex

• 1"

• Hunter Knobs

• Adjustable Objective

Both these would be better than the Crossfire IMO
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GarandThumb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2011 at 09:47
Thanks guys.  I decided to hold off and save a bit more for a viper.  Hopefully I can find a good deal pop up somewhere.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2011 at 09:51
Welcome to O.T. GarandThumb. I have experience with your screen name!
Doug
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GarandThumb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2011 at 16:28
Thanks,

Yea,  no one ever forgets an experience like that Wink
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2011 at 21:21
Steer clear of the Crossfire line. That Burris SVT linked is a really good deal. 
If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2011 at 21:27
Save up for a Viper HS or PST in a 4-16

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic