OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Best binoculars for hunting

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mightymike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best binoculars for hunting
    Posted: January/06/2011 at 20:24
New to the forum looking forward to learning alot here. I am looking to purchase a new set of binoculars for hunting in the 2-400$ range and wanted to get some opinions from people who use them instead of people paid to write about them! Thanks alot.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2011 at 20:34
Welcome to OT, Mike!

Without a doubt, in that price range, this is what I would get...
http://swfa.com/Zen-Ray-8x43-Zen-ED2-Binocular-P41884.aspx

They are as good or better than binos costing twice as much.  You'd be very hard pressed to find anything better for $400 or less (new, that is).  Period.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2011 at 21:29
The 7X36 version and 10X43 are also excellent.  I have the 10X43 ED and they are holding up and performing great!
-Matt
tpcollins View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpcollins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2011 at 08:04
Originally posted by mightymike mightymike wrote:

- wanted to get some opinions from people who use them instead of people paid to write about them! Thanks alot.

That is a great way to start your search . . .  
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2011 at 09:16
One thing to consider with any optic is exit pupil, which is a major factor in how much light reaches your eye. This is especially important with a fixed magnification optic like binos. Unlike a variable mag scope, once you have them there's no option to increase exit pupil by decreasing magnification.

The 8x43 has an exit pupil of 5.375 mm (43/8), which is more than adequate for most situations and is better than the 10x43 or 7x36. It's in low light when you'll want as much light transmission as possible. There's nothing like sitting in a nice spot as the sky starts to lighten and being able to glass 10-20 minutes before legal shooting light. Another consideration is how steady you can hold an optic. If your hands are moving, 10X can be harder to see through than 8X.
Reaction time is a factor...
Fingers73 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fingers73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2011 at 12:47
I purchased the Burris 8x56 from SWFA and just got out for a good test in the mountains of Western Washington state. I was in lots of snow, freezing temperature, and back and forth to my heated vehicle. I was very happy overall. No problems. Sighting thru them was real bright and clear. I am no expert but do know that they are giving me a better view then my old Steiner 9x40 hunting series binoculars. Maybe the new coatings they apply? I purchased the bino-strap with them as I did not think this large of a bino would fit my Badlands bino-bag. I was wrong. They just fit the Badlands bag so I will put the strap on my Steiners for my backup. I am very happy with these but I have alot of friends and relitives who hunt that are interested in new bino's and I let them know to try the ZenRay's. I hope one of them buy a pair so I can see what they are all about. Many forum readers say to buy them. The Burris bino's are still $199.00 and I feel that I got way more then my money's worth. Big Smile    
spf2 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spf2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2011 at 12:56
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Welcome to OT, Mike!

Without a doubt, in that price range, this is what I would get...
http://swfa.com/Zen-Ray-8x43-Zen-ED2-Binocular-P41884.aspx

They are as good or better than binos costing twice as much.  You'd be very hard pressed to find anything better for $400 or less (new, that is).  Period.
+1..
Midwest_Hunter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Midwest_Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2011 at 13:54
I would hold out and take a look at the Vortex Talon HD's
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2011 at 14:40
Zenray ED2 is also where I'd look first,  another option would be the vortex viper, but they're getting hard to find.  Another option would be a used bino.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2011 at 16:32
The Zen Ray is a good deal.  But there is a new player in the mid price optics game that is a whale of a glass.  It is called the Theron Wapti APO-ED.  $389.  It is a SERIOUS glass.  I'll have a Zen Ray- Theron (plus whatever else I can scare up) binocular review up shorthy, as well as adding the Theron MAG 82 ED spotter in with the Kowa-Zen Ray spotter post.

Edited by Klamath - January/07/2011 at 16:36
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2011 at 21:58
Steve,

I saw Theron while looking at the Mag 82.  The Wapiti ED looks physically similar (nearly identical) to the previous generation Zen Ray Summit HD (that locking diopter is extremely familiar).  The spec list is different from ZRS HD, however (APO objective).  It seems this Chinese optics giant is really putting out some quality products to the specs of the various companies (Zen, Hawke, Atlas, Theron, etc.).

You seem pretty excited about this bin.  I can't wait to hear more.
-Matt
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2011 at 23:14
Matt,

Did you actually look at the MAG 82 spotter?  I just posted that review.

Yes there is definite resemblance to the original ZRS.  But it ends at the surface.  APO triplet ED objectives and HD glass and field flatteners in the ocular.  This is Bosma.  It will also show up under the Avian brand.  The ZEN ED 2 is from a different source.

Review probably tomorrow.

Edited by Klamath - January/07/2011 at 23:17
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2011 at 00:48

I am looking forward to it.
-Matt
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2011 at 06:59

+1!!
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
mightymike View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mightymike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2011 at 18:09
Thanks for the info guys i will start looking at these binos. I am really green in this area as i have previously purchased all mine from local big box stores but i won't be doing that this time! Just wondering and i'll look into mysellf but are any of these something i can get my hands on locally and look through living in MD? Just something i will have to research. Greatly appreciated great forum here.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mightymike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2011 at 18:50
Really leaning towards the Zenray 10x43ED2 any comments on thise in particular?
etudiant View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote etudiant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2011 at 11:38
Hi Mike,

What kind of hunting do you have in mind?

Most of the time, a binocular is a dangling  nuisance, a dead weight on a strap that catches. Smaller and lighter is better, again imo, so there is no reason to lug a big glass, especially as current optics are noticeably brighter than the leaders 20 years ago. Hunters that used to use 7x50s now use 8x40s and smaller optics.
Of course, hunting at long ranges out in Montana will take a different glass than will deer hunting in PA.
Still, unless you really need high power for very long range glassing, you are better served, at least imo, by a robust and lightweight glass such as the Leupold Yosemite 6x30. It is cheap but good, waterproof and with a decently wide field of view, well suited for the inevitable dings that happen when tramping through the woods. It is a good hunting tool.

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mightymike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2011 at 20:02
I'm not hunting in the midwest i hunt locally in MD. Typically i can be glassing 100-500yds at most. I have never owned a really nice pair of binos. with this said most of the guys i hunt with have slightly better optics and i am basing this on what size i have used of theirs. The ones i use the most of  a buddies are leupold10x50 wind river olympic series. These are not by any means of the caliber i am reading about on here but that's all i have to base my decision on. I have a smaller pair of Bushnell legend 10x26? for bowhunting but looking for a serious upgrade for all around use and the 10x43 range is what i had in mind? Open to options i'm here to learn. Thanks
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2011 at 20:28
For that, you do not need a lot of magnification.  Look at the ZEN ED 2 7x36.  Some people don't like the edge, but as far as I can see they are a minority.  Look at the Vortex Viper 6x30, or the Swift Eaglet 7x36.  Others I have are the Vortex Fury 6.5x32, the Vortex Raptor 6.5x32 or the Leupold Yosemite 6x30.

Upgrade does not automatically mean more magnification as part of the deal.

I use the Zen 7X36 far and away the most.  I'd also say take a long hard look at the new Theron 8x42 Wapiti APO-ED 8x42 also.  Really nice binoculars nowadays do not need to cost much over $500, if that.
Steve

Midwest_Hunter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Midwest_Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2011 at 08:47

10x42 is a more common size. There are alot of great choices out there but without a price range its hard to narrow it down. The Vortex Viper 10x42 is a nice piece of glass and the warrenty is pretty  hard to beat and the price tag won't break the bank.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic