OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope for Tikka Hunter 30-06

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2011 at 14:01
I have the C3 version of the 2-7x32, I really didn't need a new scope, but at this price I couldn't resist. The scopes sits on a 35 whelen and so far I can't think of any other scope within $100.00 that will touch the performance of this scope.

As has been stated before, this site has no obligation to Vortex, our obligation is to providing our members with the best optics per dollar advise available.  At this time, that just happens to be the discounted Vortex Vipers.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2011 at 14:04
Originally posted by Folically Challenged Folically Challenged wrote:

Originally posted by stickbow46 stickbow46 wrote:

That must be an Obama # 96.782% Big SmileRoll on Floor Laughing

Yeah, that's the Viper's approval rating around here...

I guess that's sort of like Obama's pre-election numbers, no???  Too bad he doesn't have Vortex's customer service to bail him out with all of his unsatisfied customers!

FC

i dont think 96.782% is high enough, im guessing its closer to 99%
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2011 at 00:04
I have the viper 2-7 with the bdc reticle, and I absolutely swear by that scope. But...I also love my burris FFII's.
bluejay84 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluejay84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2011 at 20:15
First of all, thanks again to everyone for their help.  I feel really lucky to have gotten some great advice.  I didn't actually see the Vortex today but looked through a 2x7 and compared it to a 3x9.  All I can say is you're right, there's very little difference on the high end.  I could see it side by side, but I truly doubt it will make a difference when it comes time for a kill shot.  The 2 from a 3 very well could though.  Quite a bit more to see on the low end, and that I can see would be a really good thing.  I feel really lucky to have had made contact with you all and only hope that I can share my own expertise with others some day.  Until then, I am looking forward to meeting a guy in my area who is going to help me get started.  I'm rapidly discovering there's a unique group of people out there that I never knew existed, or at least I didn't understand the bond that brings them together until now.  I'll conclude with I think I'm going to be spending a lot of time in trouble with my wife!  The Vortex should be here sometime next week.  Let me conclude with saying here's how I'm feeling right now! Yippee  I'll get back to y'all after I've stuck a few rounds in the target.  Thanks again! Howdy
Folically Challenged View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Folically Challenged Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2011 at 21:52
Good for you! You' be just done more research than 99.91531% of all hunters out there. A little homework yields big dividends. Do keep us updated.

FC
permaculture View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote permaculture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2011 at 21:59
I shot a Tikka 300WinMag today.  The owner had a Redfield 4x12 revolution on it.  I liked that scope.  I am not an expert and have limited optics knowledge so you should defer to the others here with the knowledge..  The scope is much nicer than my Bushnell Banner. 

Since I fell 4 times hunting last year in the snow and ice and dinged by Banner scope's adjustment cap, I am leary of spending lots of money on a scope I might easily damage.
bluejay84 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluejay84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2011 at 23:56
Permaculture - I would read through this post and a few others.  One of the reasons I chose the Vortex was it's guarantee.  Even the place I bought it from said they stand behind their scopes big time.  If it's a closeout like my Viper 2x7-32, they will replace it with an upgrade barring not being able to repair it or that they saved some back for warranties.  I'm sure if you would have had one of these rather than the Bushnell you would have been okay.  I was originally looking at a savage combo but decided that getting the two separate was the way to go.  I spent more than I planned, but wanted something to pass on to my son someday.  One of the posts I read said Bushnell could be difficult to deal with.  I think Nikon, Vortex, Leupold, Burris and of course the really high end stuff are pretty rock solid.  Maybe that's a whole new topic...  but if anyone wants to share some stories on that, it could really make for some interesting reading.  I'm guessing there's as many horror stories as there are fairy tales out there, but I doubt too many bad things on the scopes I mentioned.  A little extra $, and I'm not talking $100's but $10's or $20's can really go a long ways.  Good luck and I encourage you to get these guys opinions.  They're real pro's with practical experience, not counter experience.
Folically Challenged View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Folically Challenged Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2011 at 07:07
Originally posted by bluejay84 bluejay84 wrote:

...  but looked through a 2x7 and compared it to a 3x9.  ...

I thought about that this morning, & realized that you're a lucky soul, indeed.  I live in a metro area of 2 to 3 million people, and I can't think of a store within an hour's drive that has anything smaller than a 3-9x to look through.

Perhaps that's why Mark Twin said (roughly), "When I die, I wish to be in Cincinnati.  They are always 20 years behind the times."

Tell us how that Viper works out for ya.

FC
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2011 at 07:26
Originally posted by Folically Challenged Folically Challenged wrote:

Originally posted by bluejay84 bluejay84 wrote:

...  but looked through a 2x7 and compared it to a 3x9.  ...

I thought about that this morning, & realized that you're a lucky soul, indeed.  I live in a metro area of 2 to 3 million people, and I can't think of a store within an hour's drive that has anything smaller than a 3-9x to look through.

Perhaps that's why Mark Twin said (roughly), "When I die, I wish to be in Cincinnati.  They are always 20 years behind the times."

Tell us how that Viper works out for ya.

FC

And I thought we were BAD at 10yrs behind!   Bucky

We'll be waiting to here how you make out with that Viper,bluejay.
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
atlasman View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atlasman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2011 at 10:55
Bluejay,

What reticle did you get?
bluejay84 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluejay84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2011 at 12:11
I got the Vortex Viper C-3, 2x7-32.  My thinking was I could use the circle as a sort of bdc once I became familiar with where I was hitting at what range.  A similar idea would be to use the 4-plex and line up where the thicker line meets the thin middle.  Otherwise, get the bdc if you're doing more long range target or just reaching out further than I personally think is responsible from a hunter's stand perspective.  There's guys that will say they had a kill shot at 3-4 or 500 yards, but I always wonder how many they missed or wounded in the process.  Hunting to me is a sport, not a masochistic excuse to kill things.  Anyway, there's real deals to be had on this scope.  My other thought was the C-3 could be used for a shotgun, as a guy explained to me at a local store that a lot of people will use the circle as a buckshot zone.  They know if the bird, clay, or whatever is in the circle, so is the buckshot.  Yes, this goes back to my comment on getting in trouble with the wife.  I'm already thinking 10 years down the road to when I can get the balls to tell her I need something new.  Then of course a lot of guys say it's easier to ask forgiveness than permission.  I figure that works two ways though, and I don't need to give her any more excuses to ask forgiveness than she already has!  Long answer to a short question.  Oh well, this is FUN!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2011 at 14:11
i know i love my 2x7 viper c3, its sitting on my .375H&H right now. good tough scope that will serve you well.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic