OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Boyd Stocks

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cbissell07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boyd Stocks
    Posted: January/06/2011 at 15:50
Im thinking about getting a boyd stock for my hunting rifle, i was just wondering what you guys think about putting a nice laminated stock on a hunting rifle. And do you think that its going to get scratched and dinged up really easily. We do a lot of pushing and walking through thick brush. I need to put a new stock on my gun and didnt know if going with a "nice" stock would be a good idea. Or if anyone has any other suggestions then i would be thankful to hear them.
Thanks
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2011 at 16:07
Its a good ideal if it is what you want and your not gonna be afraid/pissed if it does get scratched.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2011 at 16:14
 I have a friend who has recently been replacing the cheap factory synthetic and hardwood stocks on his rifles with Boyd laminates.  Off the top of my head I know he's done M700's,Vanguards,and Savages of all configurations.  He's satisfied with them completely.  I like them as well.  Good looking,good fit,and seem to be tough,as well as highly water resistant. Prices are more than reasonable and Boyd's has specials if you keep an eye on their web site. What are you looking to put a new stock on?
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
Cbissell07 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cbissell07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2011 at 16:21
Savage model 16, 300 WSM, i was looking at the pepper stock.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2011 at 16:28
   That's a GOOD LOOKING color.  I believe you'd like the Boyd's stock.  Only other option is a GOOD synthetic but they're not cheap..
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cbissell07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2011 at 16:37
yeah i think that it would look good with the SS barrel of the model 16. but the only thing is that it has the accutrigger so my lazy @$$ has to do some work on the stock before it fits in... great haha
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2011 at 17:00
  Are you sure?
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2011 at 18:21
Even if you do scratch the laminate, it's pretty easy to spot sand and polish the stuff. It's the same stuff as dymondwood, or any of the half dozen other trade names that comapnies had for the same product. "It was used for knife handles a long while before gun stocks" It's pretty easy to work and looks nice. I say go for it. No reason a hunting rifle can't look good. 
If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2011 at 19:39
Here is a 10-22 that was put together from a reciever group found in a house we were cleaning. I bought the stock on line $65 and the Hammered barrel on ebay for $75 Ended with a nice rifle for little cash. The Boyds stock feels good in your hands.

Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2011 at 19:51
  NICE set up,Lile.  Those Boyd's are some good looking and comfortable stocks.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cbissell07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2011 at 21:06
yeah since it has the accutrigger the bolts are an 8th of an inch further apart so you have to make the holes bigger or something idk i didnt really read into it but im positive theres a little work i have to do on it
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2011 at 22:18
Nice rig 10's  Thunbs Up
If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.
rjtfroggy View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjtfroggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2011 at 05:41

Accu-trigger fits fine. The problem comes from being either stagger feed or center feed(old screw spacing verses new-4.27 or 4.40). Still not a big deal takes about a half hours work to fit it in,shim the mag box and drill out front screw hole and put in a pillar.
 If it has a hinged floor plate or a dbm then you need a router or some one with a mill. 

froggy
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2011 at 06:18
 THANKS froggy.  Saved me a phone call.

BOYDS' Classic for Savage 10 and 110
Right and Left-Hand Stocks with Right Bolt

The Boyds’ Classic is a compilation of the design elements we have found to be the most elegant and user friendly examples of the classic style. The slender, somewhat open grip is well defined, but does not extend too far below the toe line. The comb is parallel to the bore, which aids in scope use, and because of its straight-line design, minimizes cheek slap under recoil. Additional facial support is provided by a graceful cheekpiece that blends perfectly with the overall shape of the buttstock. The forend is flat/oval in cross-section, and is proportioned to complement barrels of 22-26" in length.

It must be noted that due to the variations among models and tolerances that factories may or may not routinely adhere to, some minor fitting may be required even on our fully finished drop in parts to achieve that perfect fit to your action, although seldom, you must be willing to make these changes if necessary.

Please read through the READ PRIOR TO ORDERING information to confirm the stock you are ordering is the correct one for your firearm.  

NOTE: The Savage Models 11, 12 & 16 AND Stevens 200 Short Action have the same action as the Model 10; this Short Action measures 7 1/4" from Center to Center on the action screws or 4.275 from front trigger guard screw to front action screw. The Savage Models 111, 112 & 116 AND Stevens 200 Long Action have the same action as the Model 110; this Long Action measures 8" from Center to Center on the Trigger guard screws or 5.062 from front trigger guard screw to front action screw.

For Savage 10 and 110: Action screws used to manufacture Boyds’ stocks are for wood stocked firearms. These screws are longer than the screws used on plastic stocked firearms.  New screws can be ordered directly from Savage.

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2011 at 07:24
Originally posted by Cbissell07 Cbissell07 wrote:

Savage model 16, 300 WSM, i was looking at the pepper stock.
03mossy View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 03mossy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2011 at 09:20
As far as laminates on a hunting rifle... I have one on my 300wby mag. Love the looks, the feel of the thumbhole, and how it soaks up recoil. The two negatives are that it is heavy!!! and when you get snow on that laminate it gets very slippery. After i finished mine and the first time ever taking it hunting I banged the checkpiece on the ladder of my stand and scratched it pretty good...oh well its a hunting rifle not a safe queen.

300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2011 at 09:37
  But that weight can be an advantage when trying to rebalance or maintain the balance of a rifle.  I've been thinking about a Boyds for my 98 mauser(military action). It's got a 20" hvy bbl(.75")across the muzzle.  Right now it balances at the front action screw where I LIKE IT.

By the way 03,that's a NICE set-up!  What action is that? Any hassle with the inlet fit?
03mossy View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 03mossy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2011 at 10:01
Originally posted by 300S&W 300S&W wrote:

By the way 03,that's a NICE set-up!  What action is that? Any hassle with the inlet fit?
it is an old Weatherby .300 weatherby mag. built in 1954 on an FN mauser action, it was made in southgate california before the Mark V was produced. I got it a few years ago from an elderly friend of the family. It had been sitting in a box with a busted in half stock since the early 80's. I searched online till my fingers hurt trying to find a stock for it and Isince someone had at somepoint installed a timney trigger in it I was worried about keeping it original. I ordered this stock from rifle-stocks.com (richards micro fit) and after 5 months of waiting and them shipping the wrong stock I finally got it. It took roughly 40 hours i figure to sand and inlet the action! Turned out great.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2011 at 10:03
it flat wipes out minnesota white tails too dont it??
i know my .300wby does! she looks good man!
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
03mossy View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 03mossy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2011 at 10:15
Yes it does! First deer I took with it was a doe at about 75 yards, shot was right behind the shoulder a touch low and the exit was softball size!
And thanks, she sure turns heads!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic