OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope Advice

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike11169 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope Advice
    Posted: January/05/2011 at 21:57
Newb to the sight. some of the guys on my hunting forum said i can get sound advise about optics here. I am looking to buy a scope for hunting in TN and I have narrowed it down to the Zeiss Conquest 3x9x40 and either the Vortex Viper 3x9x40 or the 3.5-10X50. I want to know if the glass on the viper (not the Viper PST) is comparable to the zeiss glass? The two main contenders are the the Zeiss Conquest and the Viper 3.5-10X50. Both are the same price. 

thanks, 
mike11169 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike11169 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2011 at 22:00
As a follow up I have no experience with BDC reticles, but it is an option on both scopes as well as the plex reticle. I am interested in the BDC reticle, but don't want to get to complicated. 
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2011 at 02:37
  WELCOME to OT,Mike!

I've got both a Conquest and a Viper.  I find the Conquest to have a bit better optics than the Viper. BUT a 3-9x40 Conquest w/Rapid Z 600 reticle costs alot more than the Viper 3.5-10x50 w/a bdc reticle.

"I ain't got time to bleed!"
jetwrnch View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jetwrnch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2011 at 04:51
Which end of TN? I live on the East side which is mountainous and leans towards a lower power scope. If yer on the West end you could use a higher power. The BDC can cause confusion on most scopes because they are second focal plane reticles. This means the BDC has to be calculated for each power. A first focal plane reticle keeps the BDC constant regardless of power setting. Bottom line is that in TN a BDC is cool to look at but will slow you down in my opinion. I know first hand that the Conquest is a solid value with the Z-Plex for $400. The Elite 4200 3-9x40 with Rainguard can be had for $200 and up and is very close to the Conquest. I prefer the Trijicon Accupoint 1.25-4x24 or 3-9x40 for TN deer hunting. Also check out the Minox 3-15x42 for a light weight scope with great optics. These are all just my opinions. Send me a PM.
jetwrnch View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jetwrnch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2011 at 04:52
P.S. Welcome! If you like to split hairs on scopes you've come to the right place!
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2011 at 05:51
Welcome Mike! ExcellentExcellentExcellent  The scopes are comparable (for the most part) although I'd give the Zeiss a slight edge for better ER and marginally better glass. Either will work fine foe the intended purposes.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2011 at 06:37
Between my viper 4-12 and conquest 4.5-14 the win goes to the zeiss.  can use it longer in low light and the glass is better.  there is nothing wrong with the viper and it will go all the way past legal shooting hours but not quite as bright
cpwomack View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpwomack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2011 at 07:03
I agree with jetwrnch regarding the BDC.  I also live in East TN and personally like the 2-7 or 8 magnification range for quick shots.  Of your two choices, I would personally go with the Zeiss, the glass is a little better and I personally do not like 50 mm objectives on scopes in the 3-10 range, but that is my personal opinion.  I like to keep my scopes as low as possible on the rifle.
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2011 at 07:59
Welcome to thtOT Mike!

+1 on the Zeiss & Minox.Although the Vortex seems to be built better then the other 2 scopes mentioned.
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
mike11169 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike11169 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2011 at 09:01
Thanks for the help guys. You have made my decision pretty easy. I was leaning toward Zeiss, so i will probably get that one.
mike11169 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike11169 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2011 at 09:07
Originally posted by jetwrnch jetwrnch wrote:

Which end of TN? I live on the East side which is mountainous and leans towards a lower power scope. If yer on the West end you could use a higher power. The BDC can cause confusion on most scopes because they are second focal plane reticles. This means the BDC has to be calculated for each power. A first focal plane reticle keeps the BDC constant regardless of power setting. Bottom line is that in TN a BDC is cool to look at but will slow you down in my opinion. I know first hand that the Conquest is a solid value with the Z-Plex for $400. The Elite 4200 3-9x40 with Rainguard can be had for $200 and up and is very close to the Conquest. I prefer the Trijicon Accupoint 1.25-4x24 or 3-9x40 for TN deer hunting. Also check out the Minox 3-15x42 for a light weight scope with great optics. These are all just my opinions. Send me a PM.

I'm in Mid TN. Murfreesboro to be exact. When i get the chance to hunt private it is usually mixed fields and woods. when i go on a draw hunt I usually go west of here, so the terrain is similar.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2011 at 10:20
How much of a factor is low light?  The 50mm might benefit you in that category over the 40mm
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2011 at 10:27
Welcome to OT, Mike! I dont think you would be sorry if you bought the viper, but I think the zeiss does have the edge. good choice either way!
mike11169 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike11169 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2011 at 13:24
what about the Minox Z A3 in 3x9x40? i can get it for $110 less. both have a lifetime warranty. is the Zeiss better than the minox and if so is it that much better as to warrant spending the extra $110.
jetwrnch View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jetwrnch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2011 at 13:25
Tri-ji-con! Tri-ji-con! Tri-ji-con!Oh Yea Baby
jetwrnch View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jetwrnch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2011 at 13:27
Minox appears to be a great scope but is an unknown quantity. Time will tell. FANTASTIC warranty tho.
mike11169 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike11169 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2011 at 13:33
Originally posted by jetwrnch jetwrnch wrote:

Minox appears to be a great scope but is an unknown quantity. Time will tell. FANTASTIC warranty tho.

what does that mean? unkonwn quantity?
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2011 at 13:36
they havent been out long enough to have a proven track record

They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
mike11169 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike11169 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2011 at 13:37
thanks
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2011 at 13:42
either of the two scopes you first menitoned will be nice. i like both, the zeiss is a little nicer.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic