OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Possible new build!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Slightly Stoopid

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRSMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Possible new build!
    Posted: January/05/2011 at 09:29
I was talking to the wife last night, and she said that I would be able to build another rifle shortly. Since my Sendero is close to 13 pounds with bi-pods, I was wanting to build a good brush gun, one that won't be sensitive to the woods, accurate, and maybe a walnut-style stock. I was really looking into a T3 hunter in 7mm mag, or .270. I have the 16X capacity on my Sendero, I'm only thinking a 10X max, up to a 14X depending on scope (conquest i.e). I was wanting this build to stay under $1,000. What would ya'll suggest? I'll end up with Talley Lightweight's for sure on this one, as I'm also thinking about replacing to dual dovetails on the Sendero with those as well. Hunting in the southern states, LA, TX, OK, and maybe Missouri if we head there (family). 500 yards is about the limit I want with this gun, since I have the capability for longer with the Sendero. Fill my mind with glorious ideas please!
You don’t know what you don’t know.

And those who don’t know and never try, never will.

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2011 at 09:38
Tikka Lite in 7mm with a nice scope would be a great gun or even keeping it in the same caliber you have 300 win mag for the simplicity of keeping ammo the same and not having to keep up with two different ones. 

The savage long range hunter in 300 win mag has really impressed Bud, he has one.

Edited by SVT_Tactical - January/05/2011 at 09:40
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2011 at 09:51
If it were me I would get a light weight rifle in like .308 .338 federal, with a 20ish inch barrel.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
LRSMike View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Slightly Stoopid

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRSMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2011 at 09:53
Yeah I'm pretty certain that it'll end up being a Tikka, since a true Sako was wayyy out of my price range on this one, but from everything I've read, there isn't a whole hell of a lot of difference between the two. I thought about keeping the 300 for ease, but if I get into a smaller caliber, I'll be able to learn more about ballistics and become a better reloader. Since I got the Elite 6500 for Widow Maker, I was thinking of trying a different glass, non-mil dot, and variable power. The $1,000 isn't my max, but I won't being able to swing over $1,300 since we are going to Disney World (family vacation) this year. Thats for rings, bases, scope, rifle. I can move bi-pods between the two.

LRSMike View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Slightly Stoopid

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRSMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2011 at 10:03
Yeah, scope,mounts,rifle, for absolutely no more than $1,300, but wanting to stay closer to the $1,000 range if possible. Trying to see if I can stick with a budget for this build, otherwise the wife might revoke my firearms collecting for a while, ha-ha.

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2011 at 10:05
Just be careful the 300 win mag and 7 mm mag are very close and can be mixed up and cause a disaster if your not careful.  I just recommended the same cause of components and ease of use. 
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2011 at 10:06
My Vote is for the Tika T3 Hunter in 308 or .338 fed and either a Sightron Big Sky, http://swfa.com/Sightron-3-9x42-SII-Big-Sky-Riflescope-P9158.aspx or the Ziess Conquest  http://swfa.com/Zeiss-3-9x40-Conquest-Rifle-Scope-P608.aspx

With Talley mounts all that should put you right around $1000
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2011 at 10:11
Also if you are after a true brush gun, this would be an excellent scope.  http://swfa.com/Burris-15-6x40-Euro-Diamond-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P2984.aspx

I just got one, and while I have not really used it yet other than glass comparisons with other scopes I have it seems pretty nice.  It has a real heavy reticle that helps pull your eye to it quickly and it has a nice low end for those possible up close quick shots that come in brush.

LRSMike View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Slightly Stoopid

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRSMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2011 at 10:13
Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking your idea, and I see where your coming from. That makes perfect sense. The caliber would be the last thing that I make the decision on, just everything else is what I'm mainly trying to figure out. I know ballistics-wise, the .300 is superior to the .270, but the 7mm mag and .300 are fairly close, besides being .016 apart from each other. 

Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2011 at 10:59
My bad.  Sorry for tying to help with your question.  I will just move along.

LRSMike View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Slightly Stoopid

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRSMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2011 at 11:24
No Supertool, that was for Graham. I didn't mean to mis-convey anything in what I was saying. I hope that didn't upset you. I really like the idea of that Sightron, I was looking at a few on the samplelist. The option of the 308 is starting to grow on me, especially since I can get brass at work : Is there any other scopes in that 3-400 range that you would recommend personally yourself Supertool? I really am sorry for the miscommunication, to both you and Graham, if there was any doubt.

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2011 at 11:38
Mike
       You might want to consider a Savage Weather Warrior series rifle.  Something like a 116FCSS has the calibers your looking for is about 7lbs with 22" barrel and can be had for about 700.
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

LRSMike View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Slightly Stoopid

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRSMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2011 at 11:41
Does that Savage come in a wood stock? After seeing a beautiful Sako last night, I really am wanting some good looking wood.

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2011 at 11:42
If its a tool then don't get caught up on looks, if you do then you may get to scared to use it like its intended.Wink
LRSMike View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Slightly Stoopid

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRSMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2011 at 11:44
Good point!

tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2011 at 12:00
Dang Mike!... a 500 yard "brush" gun? Loco    Just kiddin with ya bro.... I like supertool's suggestion. tikka 308 and sightron sounds like a winner for sure.
edited to add
if it wasnt for being on a 1k budget, I'd have to think real hard about a ruger mk2 compact in 308 with 2-7x32 viper.

Edited by tman1965 - January/05/2011 at 12:08
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2011 at 13:10
Originally posted by LRSMike LRSMike wrote:

Does that Savage come in a wood stock? After seeing a beautiful Sako last night, I really am wanting some good looking wood.
The weather warrior series are ruggedized synth stock and SS in light weight format intended for heavy brush and hilly toting in bad weather.  There are other series Savages 110 and 111 seires yuo can gfet a pretty stock in.  Savage refers to those as Classic and Euro classic.  Euro has the raised comb.

I am with Graham on rethinking about getting a pretty gun for brushy terrain!  Thats a worse case use for any pretty firearm.  Thats why I recommended the warrior series.  Peruse www.savagearms.com to see if there is something you like then search for that model on Gbroker to get an idea of real price.  I gotten everyone of my Savages new at 150 to 300 below MSRP!
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2011 at 13:51
 Friend of mine has been swapping out cheap synthetic factory stocks for Boyd laminate ones. NICE!
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2011 at 14:53
Yepper!!!  I bought a Boyd's Thumbhole Lamy for my Son's Stevens 308 for Christmas to replace the flimpsy synth stock and he loves it!  only $89!

The Weather Warrior has the new Accu-stock with full length alum bed so there's no need to swap there.
--Thomas Jefferson

300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2011 at 14:57
  He just put a Boyd's thumbhole stock on a .22-250 M700.  Looking to sell it since now he has two.
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic