OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Need Ballistic Plex reticle for 270wsm

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tedtf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need Ballistic Plex reticle for 270wsm
    Posted: January/04/2011 at 12:42
I am looking to buy a variable power scope with max power of 12x and wanted a ballistic reticle.  The scope will go on my 270wsm which I use for longer range mule deer hunting.   I like the Pentax Lightseeker 30 3-10x40mm and also the Nikon Monarch 2.5-10x42mm scopes.  I am not a big fan of the large circles on the Nikon BDC, but am not sure how the BP reticle performs on the Pentax.  Any feedback?  Thanks.
trigger29 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2011 at 12:57
Used a 4.5-14x44 Conquest on a .270 WSM for a few years for South Dakota (beanfield) deer hunting, and it was amazing. That caliber is suited to the Rapid-Z800 reticle very well. While they are a little pricey, I find them worth the money. The Conquest glass is very nice, and the reticle is useful for holdovers, and wind holdoffs without being as obstructive as the Nikon circles. Depending on the load you are shooting, the holdoffs should be accurate at 10-12.5x with that caliber. I've shot deer with that combination out to 500 yards, and practiced routinely out to 700+. If you get to know your gun, and the reticle really well, it works very well. I can't speak for the Pentax though, as I've never used one. Someone with experience with them may be along shortly.

Here is the login to the Zeiss Rapid-Z calculator, where you can see how the reticle would work with your load.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
tedtf View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tedtf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2011 at 13:59
Thanks for the info, I'd like to keep the cost for the scope around $500 or less.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2011 at 15:02
im sensing a burris maybe??
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
trigger29 View Drop Down
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2011 at 15:16

I see. Well, here is another option.

Depending on the load you shoot, the marks may line up pretty well at max power. The Burris ballistic plex may be another good option. I'm not as familiar with it, but here would be a workable option.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2011 at 15:22
where is helo when we need him???Big Grin
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic