OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Spotting Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Unertl v. more modern stuff

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Unertl v. more modern stuff
    Posted: January/02/2011 at 19:48
Ive got an old 60s era 24X-64  Unertl spoter left over from the old days of bigbore shooting. In years past iused in in score benchrest shooting and found i was called on frequently to "call" shots that others coulndt detect with higher power spoter or target scopes. So obviously the resoluton was very good. Its getting a bit old snd lenses are threatening to separate, some creeping signs of that. I dont think this issue is seviceable any longer. My question is at this time- is somrhting like one of the Minox such as MD-62 variables are worth considering? Ive seen a very attrctive sale price and wonder if this is worth it. Or what are comparable or better options in the less than900$ range  ??
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2011 at 21:46
I like the Pentax PF-80ED in that price Range.  It has excellent resolution.
-Matt
rogn View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2011 at 11:22
I guess my real question is or are thenewer affordables better than the old Unertl? And does anyone have experience with / to make a comparison.
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2011 at 11:41
I would say that newer technology, what with advances in glass quality, and especially in light transmission improvements from better glass and coatings, that it is probably a very safe bet to say that the Unertl performance can be bettered.  How much better, I won't venture a guess as I've never looked through a Unertl.  How much better probably depends at least to  some degree on your budget too.  I'd say go visit some dealers and look for yourself.  That would give you some ability to frame the question to a spotter that has some familairity to some people.  I sort of doubt many have seen a good serviceable older Unertl. There are a really good ED spotters less than $1,000 today. 

Edited by Klamath - January/03/2011 at 11:42
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

boats View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/05/2011 at 08:39

As a Club match director and long time active competitor I look through a lot of spotting scopes. Target shooting is not the same as other uses for spotting scopes, daytime on well tended ranges, not difficult conditions. Resolution is real important

Most rifle matches Kowa’s in large diameter with fixed power eyepieces are most often seen. Kowa’s are the scope I always recommend but don't use myself.   One of our club matches we set two scopes on each metal gong and take turns spotting and shooting, rotating from target to target.  My 24x63 Unertl is always remarked by people that have never looked through one.  It's better than all but the largest diameter Kowa’s with fixed power eyepieces Better resolution than any of the variables on the line even expensive Europeans, you hardly ever see them fixed power.

I have always accounted it to balance; Unertl seemed to come up with the right Objective lens diameter for eyepiece power and lack of extra features.  Personal opinion is lot of things that sell scopes, Compact, Variable Long eye relief take away from resolution.

Formal target range the only place I use the Unertl.  General spotting mostly birds I use an old fixed power Leopold 25x50 compact.  Light tough completely waterproof long eye relief and a very good scope.  Not even close to the Unertl 63mm resolution.  Not recommending a 40 or 50 year old plain scope to ,most are better off with a new Kowa, but look through one of the old Unert’s that’s in good condition you might be surprised.  Get that one fixed before trading for a new scope.  It's going to take a thousand dollars to get a better one

Boats 

Boats
M-100 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M-100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/05/2011 at 22:46
If I were you I'd take it with me and do side by side comparisons of what I was considering. As Boats stated I doubt you will find better resolution without spending a fair amount on it.
FrankD View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2011 at 09:47
I cannot disagree with Boats comments as I have never handled that particular brand. Having said that I would agree with Klamath's comments.

Under $900 I would suggest any of the following....

Pentax PF-65ED II (usually around $800 with the factory supplied zoom)
Celestron Regal F-ED (65 or 80 mm) (Either $400 or $600 respectively)
Theron Saker 60 mm (a surprising $225)
Leupold Kenai 80 mm(haven't tried it myself but it gets good reviews from some folks I trust-$800)

All of these scopes offer exceptionally sharp images which is one of the main reasons I prefer them. I would also suggest the Theron Mag82 if you can stretch your budget an extra $50. At $950 the optical performance is simply outstanding plus it comes with a factory zoom and a fixed 30x eyepiece. All of the scopes mentioned utilize some form of ED glass to obtain the sharpest possible images in this price range.

Edited by FrankD - June/06/2011 at 17:23
Frank
boats View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2011 at 15:01
I think 1000 dollars is the mark, over you can top a Unertl 63 under have never seen one that resolves as good as a Unertl.  Not counting waterproof light weight or fancy features. You can find a good Unertl 63 for 600 -700  bucks.

Was at the Smallbore Silhouette Nationals one year when Leopold came out with the new short varable spotter and dropped the Leopold single power model I had been using.  Factory Rep had several set up focused on the 100 meter rams.  Old guy comes up and said if they were better than his scope he would buy one on the spot. Puts a Unertl 24x63 on a tripod right next to the new Leopolds.  They were not happy about it, you could compare, and there was no comparison.

No question about it the big new Asian scopes like Kowa or the others, if you avoid variable eyepieces, are very good, as good as you can get probably.  Thats why you see Kowa's at matches 10 to 1

Gil Parsons Son is now running his scope repair service, google Parsons Scope in Cincinnati. He can fix any Unertl problem with quick turn around.

Boats
Boats
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2011 at 16:53
The older premium scopes are really in their niche at the daylight rifle range.  Resolution was never a problem with older scopes like Unertl, B&L, and others.  It is the light transmission, color fidelity, and contrast that have so dramatically improved in modern scopes.

The improvements will be more noticeable in challenging light and when viewing low-contrast objects.
-Matt
boats View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2011 at 04:55
Thats true,

Formal rifle range you don't need wonderful light ablity, resolution is the only test.   My shooting buddy and regular spotter has a  big Leica Varable We never use the Leica in matches He bought the Leica for a African Trip game spotting.  Low power for scanning crank it up to see game in detail. Light gathering ablity is critical and the Leica is as good as it gets.  Leopold 25x50mm I use for general spotting same thing good game and field scope compact and easy to carry, not the best for Rifle shooting.

Indoors I leave my old Busnell Banner 20x50mm set up focused on a 10 Meter Air Rifle target and it's well up to the job, Doubt if it's worth 50 bucks.

Main thing is if somebody has a nice Unertl don't sell it short.

Boats
Boats
M-100 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M-100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2011 at 09:40
" Factory Rep had several set up focused on the 100 meter rams.  Old guy comes up and said if they were better than his scope he would buy one on the spot. Puts a Unertl 24x63 on a tripod right next to the new Leopolds.  They were not happy about it,"

I love this, very few folks do this when they optics shop. Even when they do they look at some well lit object with little detail at a short distance. Thats why you get so many subjective comments about optics like " best glass I've ever seen" or " good as ( you name it ) for 1/3 the price.
If they had the opportunity to compare side by side people wouldn't make such statements.
gulf1263 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gulf1263 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/15/2011 at 02:06
A few comments by a former lurker and new member on the Unertl spotting scope since I was able to compare mine with a Swarovski before selling it.
The Unertl had beautiful glass, sharp, clear, etc. but was an old design.
It was not waterproof, had a metal back lens, scratched up glass glasses and made plastic lens unusable.
Had between 5mm to 7mm eye relief, got tired of having to pay for new glasses and the blackout zone was large. Still, great glass.
Swaro is much more usable for me, ummv.
Cool

Good day.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic