OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Mounts & Accessories > Rings and bases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Picatinny?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Picatinny?
    Posted: January/01/2011 at 07:22

Will Weaver style rings work on them?
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2011 at 08:06
Probably, but the fit may not be exact. That could lead to some movement. Another thing to consider about a picatinny rail: It may make it harder to feed rounds in if you have to top load. I wanted to switch to detachable mags anyway, but it certainly pushed the decision...at least with Rem. 700 actions.
Reaction time is a factor...
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2011 at 08:21
 THANKS,Jono.  Seems I read about the poor fit issue somewhere but wanted to double check.

My problem is with a M70 stock with a too long lop that I don't want to cut down and a scope that has too little eye relief.  Even extended rings won't work.
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2011 at 10:20
You could buy a new stock for it with a shorter length of pull.  By the way, we need pictures. Big Smile
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2011 at 11:44
Try looking at EGW line of rails,they fit both styles of rings !
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2011 at 12:24
Chances are, if both the rail and the rings are good quality or better, Weaver-style rings will work with a Picatinny rail. The opposite might not be true since a Weaver rail may not have the .206" spacing required to meet the Picatinny spec. EGW, Badger, Seekins and some others will give you a rail that will work well. No harm in trying the rings if you already have them. If they don't work out, you can replace them with Picatinny rings. Like I said, it will probably work. But there is a possibility it won't because the tolerances are off even slightly.

I've done some engineering for a rail-mounted accessory and found that the Picatinny spec is not as specific as you might think. Not all tolerances are specified, although the drawings appear detailed. And some, of course, must be strictly adhered to. I had to consult Seekins to make sure I was doing it right.

More info: http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=12631/GunTechdetail/Picatinny_Rails__Weaver_Rails__What_s_The_Difference_
Reaction time is a factor...
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2011 at 12:43
Originally posted by helo18 helo18 wrote:

You could buy a new stock for it with a shorter length of pull.  By the way, we need pictures. Big Smile

I thought I was putting this rifle together for my SIL but it turned out it was for me.  So I really would rather keep the rifle the way it is. D'd I hate having short arms and neck.  Bucky

Sounds like I should stay with the same manufacterer for both the rail and rings.  OR I could play musical scopes with ones I have with longer e/r although for what I use this rifle for I like the GS. For most of my hunting I don't use this rifle but would at least like it work.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic