OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Yugo 7.62x39 Surplus Ammo

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yugo 7.62x39 Surplus Ammo
    Posted: January/01/2011 at 00:30

Happy new Year....

What are the thoughts on surplus yugo ammo for AKs?  I know it is corrosive so you need to clean right away, but as an ex military guy I clean my weapons anyways after use.  Ordered some and its nice brass, very clean.  I see a lot of people like wolf, say it runs fine, but i tried it in ars and mini 14s and had some problems at times depending on humidity it seemed.

Anyways, found some deals and was gonna stock up, im impatient like that (dont even have my rifle to use it yet...) 
That thing on the left....my old ride, some days I miss her.
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2011 at 14:16

My Saiga AK clone will shoot anything I feed it. My Mini-30 had issues with the surplus stuff till I had a stiffer hammer spring installed. One of the products from these guys. http://www.ruger-mini-14-firearms.com/mini_14_30_accessories.php  I had a local smith install it, and it's much less fussy about ammo now. 

Your Yugo AK should eat anything you feed it. 

If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.
JLud View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2011 at 20:58
Ran a bunch of this surplus through wasr and aresnal today, no issues at all, in fact very impressed.  I clean my rifles anyway, got some hoppes #9, cleaned up afterward, should be no issues.

I have bout 3k rounds sitting right now, might add another sealed crate or two, good stuff, thought I would share in case anyone wondering.  Worked great in all mags, including drum, and packs a good punch.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2011 at 13:52
Speaking from experience, Hoppes #9 will NOT neutralize the salts in corrisive ammo. Either find some WWII solvent, or use a 1 to 10 ratio of amonia and water, then follow up with Hoppes and oil.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
JLud View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2011 at 15:11
Wow....did not know that.  I ran hot water through gas tubes, the soaked bore brush in solvent and scrubbed few times, then patched it until clean, then some oil.  Both barrels looked shiny clean, couldnt see anything, but didnt run water/ammonia mix.....
Thanks for the heads up, will take them back out to make sure.
Griffin99 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Griffin99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2011 at 23:49
I have shot the Yugo ammo through a Bushmaster 7.62x39 that I have.  My upper seems to run it just fine.  Seems to be good stuff other than it is corrosive.
Far Beyond Driven
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2011 at 02:58
It shoots well in my Saiga and both SKSs.

On corrosive ammo: any water-based cleaner will take the corrosive salts out.

I use Slip2000 degreaser as a first cleaning step and it takes care of that just fine (and takes out carbon fouling better than anything else I have tried).

ILya
JLud View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2011 at 10:16
So, I cleaned with Hoppes 9, as I had heard would work fine, then let them sit for about 5 days.  Took them back out, Arsenal has no issues at all anywhere, looks good.

The WASR had some tiny surface rust near the bore, just a few spots.  Used some windex and a light brush and all gone already.

Will use windex/hoppes combo next time.

Thanks for the input.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic