OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Classic stuff

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Classic stuff
    Posted: December/31/2010 at 02:49

Good Advice, Military Style

• "Aim towards the Enemy." - Instruction printed on US Rocket Launcher
  • "Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground." - USAF
  • "When the enemy is in range, so are you." - Infantry Journal
  • "It is generally inadvisable to eject directly over the area you just bombed." - U.S. Air Force Manual
  • "Tracers work both ways." - U.S. Army Ordnance
  • "Bravery is being the only one who knows you're afraid."
  • "If you see a bomb technician running, follow him." - USAF
  • "Though I Fly Through the Valley of Death ... I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 80,000 Feet and Climbing." - At the entrance to the old SR-71 operating base Kadena,Japan
  • "You've never been lost until you've been lost at Mach 3." - Paul F. Crickmore (test pilot)
  • "The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire."
  • "Blue water Navy truism: There are more planes in the ocean than submarines in the sky." --From an old carrier sailor
  • "If the wings are traveling faster than the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter -- and therefore, unsafe."
  • "When one engine fails on a twin-engine airplane you always have enough power left to get you to the scene of the crash."
  • "What is the similarity between air traffic controllers and pilots? If a pilot screws up, the pilot dies; If ATC screws up, .... the pilot dies."
  • "Never trade luck for skill."
  • The three most common expressions (or famous last words) in aviation are: "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh sh*t!"
  • "Progress in airline flying: now a flight attendant can get a pilot pregnant."
  • "Mankind has a perfect record in aviation; we never left one up there!"
  • "Flashlights are tubular metal containers kept in a flight bag for the purpose of storing dead batteries."
  • "Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
  • "Just remember, if you crash because of weather, your funeral will be held on a sunny day."
  • Advice given to RAF pilots during WWII: "When a prang (crash) seems inevitable, endeavor to strike the softest, cheapest object in the vicinity as slow and gently as possible."
  • "The Piper Cub is the safest airplane in the world; it can just barely kill you." - Attributed to Max Stanley (Northrop test pilot)
  • "Never fly in the same cockpit with someone braver than you."
  • "There is no reason to fly through a thunderstorm in peacetime." - Sign over squadron ops desk at Davis-Monthan AFB, AZ,
  • "If something hasn't broken on your helicopter, it's about to."
  • Basic Flying Rules: "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there."
  • As the test pilot climbs out of the experimental aircraft, having torn off the wings and tail in the crash landing, the crash truck arrives, the rescuer sees a bloodied pilot and asks "What happened?". The pilot's reply: "I don't know, I just got here myself!" - Attributed to Ray Crandell (Lockheed test pilot)
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2010 at 12:15
The last was the best!
Reaction time is a factor...
GetSome View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GetSome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2010 at 12:31
 Ya, a couple of them made me giggle, but the last one LMAO!
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2010 at 18:38
That last two just had me rolling!!  Roll on Floor Laughing  I love the basic flying rules.  Good thing to remember when I am up flying.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2011 at 03:33
Roll on Floor Laughing
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2011 at 16:57

Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2011 at 20:30
Excellent
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic